Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL

Format: MP3 MusicChange

on August 18, 2012
While modern music has been moving towards a more synthesized, polished brand of sound, there has been an increase in bands that focus on traditional, folksy songwriting. Compared to, let's say Maroon 5, these bands stick out in stark contrast. Fleet Foxes, Arcade Fire, Mumford & Sons, Admiral Fallows, the Head and the Heart, Old Crow Medicine Show, the Avett Brothers -- the list goes on and on. The Lumineers' debut album (selftitled) firmly establishes the band as a group to be reckoned with in these ranks.

The band begins with the poignant "Flowers in Your Hair," and it's a great introduction to the band's sound and sensibilities. The Lumineers aren't quite folk, not quite bluegrass, not quite Americana, not quite blues, but they fall somewhere along all of these spectrums. Underlining everything is Wesley Schultz's earnest vocal delivery and Neyla Pekarek's fantastic harmonies. "Ho Hey" is the song that everyone has been talking about lately -- the band's breakthrough hit is representative of a lot of the material on this album. The album ranges between faster songs and slower ballads, and the band handles both equally well (I don't seem to really prefer one style over the other here).

The Lumineers have established themselves as a band on the rise and certainly one to watch in the next few years. Listeners of Mumford & Sons, Old Crow Medicine Show, and the Head and the Heart will find plenty of material here to love. Essential tracks to sample/download: "Ho Hey," "Slow It Down," and "Morning Song."
on May 12, 2012
This album really surprised me!
I really enjoy every single track except for 1 or 2 (I believe the last 2 on the album).
I would actually rate this CD a 4.5 out of 5 if I could.

"Ho Hey", "Dead Sea", "Submarines", and "Big Parade" are my favorites so far. But really I tend to listen to the entire CD except for last track.
"Big Parade" in particular is the most visual song I've heard in a while. I normally don't pay much attention to lyrics, but that would be doing an injustice to this song. I love the imagery, the lyrical content, and the style.
Something about "Submarine" is amazing as well, and I can't quite put my finger on it.

The sound is great. I think if you enjoy The Head and the Heart's self-titled album, you'll enjoy this CD, but that's not a perfect comparison.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 28, 2012
I saw the Lumineers by chance a few years back. They were playing a club we were at in Denver. They play such an amazing live show that I was hooked and immediately started looking for their record! A first album wasn't released until this year though and it was worth the wait! The Lumineers have incredible stage presence and it shows through on the album. They perform with heart and the music plays that way. I loved this album, it reminds me of Mumford & Sons meet The Civil Wars meet their own brand of folk rock. I highly recommend this album but only gave it 4 stars (would have given it 3.5 but can't rate half stars I would however give the vinyl a solid 4 stars the Lumineers have great vinyl sounds) because there is room to grow. This is the kind of album that I find myself loving the more I'm listening to it. So much so that months after writing my original review I'm here to say, I wish I had marked them a 5 instead of a 4. I hope they follow up with an even more inspired sophomore album. I like that folk music is making these strides to modernize without throwing their roots to the wind ("country" I'm looking at you). This is a fun album and it's a regular during our dinnertime food prep/clean up. Everyone in my house likes it. I look forward to seeing The Lumineers live again and look forward to a sophomore album, hopefully sooner rather than later!
on December 31, 2013
The kind of music that I suppose is called Folk-Rock, but is really less categorizable than that. The vocals are amazing, the tempos are often the kind that make you want to move your feet, and the feel of the album is old-but-new, if you catch my meaning. I like every song on this album.

I am surprised that The Lumineers are not waaay more successful than they seem to be so far, but I suspect that they will be. The one song that may be familiar is Ho Hey, which was named the 26th best song of 2012 by Rolling Stone and is used in ads for both Bing and Silver Linings Playbook.

Great album, great group. Buy this album!
on October 8, 2012
This band is awesome. They have such a great sound, their songs tell a beautiful story. I would recommend this album to anyone and I am always let people know about this band.
on November 26, 2012
I felt it has some good (maybe great) songs, but lots of mediocre songs in between. I find myself losing interest every time I try to listen to it straight through.
on December 14, 2012
Let's get something straight here. This band isn't exactly re-inventing the wheel or anything like that, but let's face it - we, as consumers, are hungry. We've been hungry for something different for a while now, and this "new" folk sound has taken off. With that said, I personally believe the Lumineers are the most talented front-runners of the move. Some Mumford & Sons fans will disagree with me on that, but I was disappointed in their last album. It all sounded the same to me.

Ok, back to the album. It's simple. The band doesn't use a whole lot of Dm7add9 type chords, its just the opposite where most musicians of average talent and a capo can handle the songs. The beauty in their music lies within the band's songwriting/melody skills. Honestly, when I first heard "Ho Hey", I was thinking to myself, "great, here we go again...another band that has a nice little jingle - aka one hit wonder, that won't be around tomorrow." But, after reading the lyrics and listening to the album, I was very much impressed with the raw approach of how they make their music so emotional and cinematic, with songwriting skills on par with that of Dylan or Vedder. After listening to the album all the way through at least 30 times, I feel like I can write a decent review of the tracks:

1) Flowers in Your Hair - Great choice for the opener, though not my favorite. Sets the mood quite well.
2) Classy Girls - Decent song, but feel its lacking instrumental depth.
3) Submarines - Yes, we're getting started here. Love the depth, both instrumental and lyrical, here. I've researched this song a little, and supposedly its about knowing something about someone (perhaps drug use or something and being worried), but no one believes a word.
4) Dead Sea - Good song, good timing of the minors. Written about how the drummer's gf told him that he was her "Dead Sea" due to the salt content being so high, nothing can sink, so he will never let her down.
5) Ho Hey - It's a good song and definitely worth noting, but I kinda get upset when I talk to people and this is the only song they know by them.
6) Slow it Down - Great song, supposedly about the band's instruments getting stolen when they were starting out, but it appears they applied the experience as a metaphor for maybe a relationship or something.
7) Stubborn Love - Excellent song, who hasn't been here? Beautiful use of the entry of the strings.
8) Big Parade - Great song, love the visuals from the lyrics on this. Still trying to figure out the song's meaning though.
9) Charlie Boy - Hands down, my favorite on the album. About a soldier in the Vietnam War receiving a military burial. The lyrics, again, create a visual that gives me chills. The chorus, "Play the bugle, play the taps. Make your mothers proud. Raise your rifles, to the skies boys. Fire that volley loud." talking about a 21-gun salute. This, combined with the chord progression, is perfectly matched. Absolutely gorgeous.
10) Flapper Girl - Love the piano tune/melody. Fun little swing beat matches the 1920's setting of the song. Well done.
11) Morning Song - Again, who hasn't been here? It's a little weak for a ballad, but does an excellent job of matching tempo, lyrics, and emotionality.

I personally love this album. It's very artsy, but not too abstract that the leh can't understand what's going on. What I'm afraid to see, is that the band rushes the second album, or it becomes over-produced (and most here know what I mean). If they rush the album, they could lose a lot of credibility. Wes has the songwriting skill to make a dozen more albums, but its the ability to combine the songwriting, tempo, melody, progression, build-up, etc.. that make an album stand-out, and it's what this one does perfectly.
on September 30, 2012
Great songs good quality the lumineers are the coolest. They have a nice mix of slow songs with fast ones that really enhance the musical experience for the listener.
on June 8, 2012
You should buy this CD. If you got to this page, reading this review, you're here for a reason. Maybe you like this kind of music and Amazon made a recommendation, maybe your friend suggested this album to you. Either way you should buy this album because it's much better than you think it is. This is the only album so far this year that I've purchased where I don't feel a need to skip songs to get to the stand-outs; they're all stand-outs. It's full of well-crafted songs (with great lyrics) and catchy hooks that get stuck in my head for days.

Buy this album
on October 19, 2013
I can't even remember the last time I paid for a CD but when I heard some of the songs on this album and the way The Lumineers tell their stories I just had to show my support. Every song on the CD is great and while it's possible to get the songs for free I felt they deserved my money. Hopefully they release another CD soon. Can't wait to hear what's next.