Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The MSM Miracle
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on February 14, 2012
I am writing this in response to the one-star review that dismisses this book out of hand as another "crank" cure. The writer of that comment is committing a huge fallacy: truly, clinical trials have not yet supported all of the claims made about MSM (which are based on chemistry analysis and a supposition of how it will work in the body). First, clinical trials do support its effectiveness in treating arthritis. But otherwise, the absence of conclusive evidence from double-blind studies is NOT evidence that MSM doesn't work for allergies, migraines, etc. The medical community simply cannot reach a conclusion. Yet. That's what inconclusive means: they don't know if it works or not.

But as a person who suffers from arthritis and fibromyalgia, I swear by MSM. It has greatly improved my life. I'm stunned at its effectiveness. Race horse owners have been using it on horses for years to improve performance. The only way to check out MSM is to try it for yourself. I know it works for me. It has sharply decreased joint pain and headaches for me. I take it every day.
44 comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 24, 2012
I wasn't expecting a lot of information for less than $6 and just 48 pages, so I was happy with what I found in this booklet. I've been taking MSM for 10 months or so and now wouldn't go without it for long. I thought I already knew what I needed to know about the supplement; I just wanted to see if it could offer more information. I did learn some new things and I think this booklet is definitely worth the money being asked.

The author explains a lot of things in just 48 pages, including the importance of all minerals and vitamins. He doesn't limit himself to only MSM when describing conditions; he's kind enough to mention other things that also help with certain issues, and he explains how various substances in the body work with each other. He gives information about food sources of all substances mentioned, when applicable, which is nice. He also gives the suggested dosage of supplemental MSM for each concern. The information about various body parts and functions and what MSM has to do with them was very helpful, as was all the info about amino acids. He really did manage to fit quite a bit of info into a small booklet.

For the record, the author doesn't say anything about there being a wide-spread deficiency of sulfur in everyone (as the one-star reviewer would have you think--even though he didn't buy the book and admits to just skimming it; I guess he looked at the preview... As a matter of fact, that person has gone out of his way to badly review many books and products that he's never purchased, just so that he can trash alternative health care--take a look at his profile and read his other reviews; that will give people a good indication of how dishonest and disingenuous he really is).

There is a full bibliography in the back of "The MSM Miracle". The author isn't selling anything but his booklet. He writes well and makes things easy to understand for everyone. He doesn't make claims that are outrageous.

MSM truly is a miracle for some people. Not everyone needs it, thankfully, but if you have heavy-metal toxicity and symptoms of arthritis then you may benefit from supplementing with MSM. The author doesn't mention that mercury and lead bind to sulfur, but this information is found online. To my understanding, the heavy metals settle in the joints; thus causing inflammation and arthritis pain. I have a mouthful of amalgams and have found relief in my arthritis symptoms by taking MSM. The first day and a half or so, I did have an increase in pain. I figured that this was temporary, though, so I kept taking it and lived with the discomfort. By the end of the second day, the pain was gone. I can tell when I've ran out or have taken only one dose a day vs my normal 2 doses.

The solution to the problem is to remove the source of heavy metals so that you don't have to take MSM forever, but for some people it's just not possible at this time. When I have an extra $5000 sitting around for me to use on getting the metal replaced with something safe, then I'll eventually stop taking the MSM. Until then, I can't see going without it for long. I did let myself run out. Once. Lol.

The only other thing lacking is information about purity and how to choose a high-quality supplement. What I would say is that people should just look for the purest brand they can find and afford--one with no fillers or additives. That usually means buying the powder or crystals since most capsules have binders and/or fillers. You can encapsulate the powder yourself using empty veggie caps and something like the Cap-M-Quik + Tamper, Capsule Filling Filler Machine, size 00, which is what I prefer over the "Capsule Connection" filler. The latter machine is a piece of junk and many capsules have been wasted on the one I own. It worked okay for a while but then the failures were getting so bad that I was wasting time and money. The Cap-M-Quik is a much better design, though it's more of a hands-on gadget. You can also just add the MSM powder or crystals to juice or something, but I don't think it tastes very good (I'm not sure, as I've never tried that--I have a sensitive palate and stomach, and try to avoid taking things I don't think will go over well with my taste buds--lol).

Happy learning, everyone!

Edit: The name on the box of the one brand of capsule filler is actually "The Capsule Machine". It's made by Capsule Connection. I thought I should be more clear about that. This is the filler that I don't recommend at all because of how many failures you might get when using it after a while. The Cap-m-Quik doesn't have that problem at all; I've used it for almost 1000 capsules now and it still works fine.
44 comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 6, 2011
This really isn't a review on the book, but rather on the supplement MSM. I have taken many supplements off and on throughout my life, but MSM is the supplement I get the most benefits from and is my favorite. I have taken it every single day without fail for the last 21 years. It's a keeper and I wouldn't be without it. It helps me with joint and muscle pain and has given me complete relief from a lifetime of summer pollen allergies. Also my hair and nails grow fast while I'm taking this and my skin looks youthful. I suggest you NOT take this supplement in the evening. It gives you energy and will keep you awake all night. Also it is recommended you take Vitamin C with MSM to get the most benefits from it (or drink citrus juice with it). If you have trouble swallowing pills, know that MSM is usually in a large capsule, but it is sold in powder form and is virtually tasteless when added to juice or water. I put the powder in my dogs' water bowl for skin and joint issues. I've only named a few benefits of MSM. I recommend you read this book, you will be amazed at what one supplement can do! I'm planning to order this book for family and friends to read, since they are tired of hearing ME rave about MSM :) I have other books by Earl Mindell, and know this one will be good too.
55 comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 20, 2010
I have been taking MSM for a while and I wanted to get more information as to how it works and why it works.. I am definately impressed with the content of the book. thank you for making it available to me and others wanting to learn more about their health needs...b. kenyon
on July 23, 2014
Information is still very valid, I need the stuff, or I am so stove up, with broken back, and hardware, now half removed, that I cannot even think. Asthma and allergies get handled by MSM, so I recommend this information to anyone.
on October 16, 2009
Thanks, I was pleased with the book, it has the info that I was searching for. I have recommended this publication to other as well.
on May 25, 2014
I suffer from fibro myalgia and am going to try MSM for help with pain. This book explains the different uses for MSM and the recommended amounts for each situation. It's easy to read. Makes sense to me, gonna give it a shot!
on October 25, 2013
I think this is an awesome book. It's a super easy read, and it really covers all the benefits of MSM and how important it is to add it to your supplement regimen. I started adding it because of my digestive system. I was having a lot of upper GI pain, like burning and a feeling of a lump in my throat, and it totally helps. I also take it to help with post exercise recovery to support muscles and soft tissues, and I definitely notice a difference!

Laura
[...]
on May 23, 2014
MSM has helped me out tremendously, especially my sinus problems. Has helped with gum health, joints and energy level. The book gives good recommendations for various health issues a must read.
on February 17, 2014
Purchased this booklet for more information on MSM, especially MSM crystal products that I have heard so many good things about.