Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Madness Vase: By Andrea Gibson
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

94%
Format: Paperback|Change

on January 11, 2012
Andrea Gibson turns a corner with their latest collection, "The Madness Vase." I have been following their writing career since 2006, and their growth has been steady - until now. I have always considered Gibson one of the best living poets in America, and still the poems in this book shocked me to my very core. They are patient, yet powerful and vivid. The images will linger with you for days and even weeks. Quite simply, every lover of poetry needs to read this book as quickly as possible. It's a game-changer. A bold statement that Gibson belongs in every discussion of quality contemporary poetry, and that they are here to stay.
on October 29, 2012
If you are only allowed to own one book, let this be it. These poems are filled with love and life. If you haven't bought her audio poems on ITunes do that first. You need her voice in your head. You need it in everything you do and every relationship you carry.
on May 11, 2013
Andrea Gibson doesn't just tug on your heart strings, she grabs them in both hands and pulls your heart out so you can see exactly what it's made of. This collection of poetry is stunning in how human it is. She writes beautifully, and covers topics that are typically viewed as somewhat sensitive in nature. There is a good balance of quirky humor and seriousness. All said, this is my favorite collection of poetry from a modern author. A must-read.
on September 10, 2012
Andrea's poetry is so powerful, so stunning, so chills-running-up-your-spine, that I often find myself forced to put down the book to just clap or do a really embarrassing kind of emotional fist pump. This is electric poetry that does what so many poets have tried for so long to do - make people cheer for words the way they cheer for sports teams and concerts. Andrea spins words with so much passion and so much pure wit that it's hard not to get excited. Even harsh and painful subject matter is rendered with an utter honesty that makes it beautiful.
on June 7, 2016
Andrea Gibson will make you believe in people again. Maybe not in all of humanity, but just enough that you feel that spark inside that tells you you're not the only one out there with a heart. That it's not bad to feel empathy for others.

Andrea excels at spoken word/slam poetry and sets the bar. High. Listening to her words is at times an otherworldly experience. She can make your heart beat hard for people and situations that you've previously never even considered. She can bring you to tears by the way she so accurately describes exactly what you've felt and thought no one else could ever understand. Like, " yes, that's it!! Why haven't I thought to word it that way before?" Sometimes you'll want to keep her poems safe with you and not want to share something so personal with others. Sometimes you're bursting at the seams to share them with anyone who will listen. It's an intensely personal experience and truthfully I've so far found myself disappointed by people just not feeling it as strongly as I do when I share it with them. But I'm sure - if you find someone who can appreciate this the way you do, you'll have something truly unique.

This isn't an audio recording of Andrea's powerful performances. This is her words on paper. Sometimes slightly different than how you may have heard them recited, but her words nonetheless. It's almost like a comfort to have. Recently I've donated nearly all of my books, but I've kept all of my poetry books, especially this one. It's just nice to know it's there. In your hands. On your shelf. Whatever. If you ever need to feel that spark, you don't need to quick hunt down a youtube video or audio file. You have it with you always. You can see the line breaks. You can almost hear her raspy inhales as you read to yourself. You can go back and review lines in her poems that may not have stood out to you before. Over and over. You can highlight it, underline it, make notes, share it with friends, whatever. It's yours. Ours. Whatever.

Also the cover is very soft and that's cool, too.
on November 6, 2013
I have found both of Andrea Gibson's books to be completely impossible to read silently to yourself without risk of explosion. Her words are so poignant it hurts; you'll find them being tested out in your mouth, finding what they feel like as your hair stands permanently on end. You might also, as I have, catch yourself underlining lines and leaving notes for yourself in the margins, or giving in and reading it out loud to friends, because there's no way they can just be left there without note. Andrea does it again, proving she is more than just a poet: she is a revolutionary.
on April 9, 2013
I discovered Gibson's work recently on the internet and ordered this book. An amazing poet who is to the point, intriguing, thought provoking......some amazingly powerful aphorisms.....metaphors and similes......poetry has needed someone like Andrea....I will definately be exploring more of her work.
on November 14, 2012
Andrea Gibson's poems translate especially well on paper, given that she is a spoken word artist. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in social justice issues.
on January 24, 2014
The Madness Vase is perfect in every way. I purchased this book online and read it the same day. I went to one of Andrea's poetry events very soon afterwards, and I carried this book with me for her to sign. I cannot get enough of her poetry, and this book showcases some of the best she has to offer.
on March 26, 2013
Andrea has a magical way with words ... And a talent for describing things many of us experience... Yet she describes them as only she can... Everytime I listen to her it's like she reaches into my chest grabs my heart gives it a couple helpful squeezes reminding it to keep beating or it will harden...