5.0 out of 5 stars "The Magic of Believing" Claude Bristol
Published on February 9, 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars This review is for the AUDIO BOOK.
o.k., o.k., o.k....I know I should have read the fine print. But as a huge fan of the book, I was VERY disappointed to learn that the audio book is an abridged version.

And in my opinion, VERY abridged.

Too bad the whole book isn't on audio, as it would make a great car ride listen.

I agree with another reviewer that it takes a few reads...
Published on May 8, 2008 by George Brett

5.0 out of 5 stars "The Magic of Believing" Claude Bristol, February 9, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Magic of Believing (Mass Market Paperback)
I first heard about "The Magic of Believing" in 1973,listening to Larry Glick's late-night talk show on WBZ Boston -- he was absolutely sold on it and kept bringing on celebrity guests who felt the same way, and I eventually bought a copy. I was skeptical going in, and for a while after - this was'nt the first self -help book I had read and not the most polished in style. But there was something about it -- the down-to-earth commonsense of the author I think (Bristol seems to have been above all a practical guy)-- that kept me reading it to the end. I started to do some of the mechanical things -- aids to visualization -- he suggested, figuring what the hell, what's to lose?. I decided the goal to set was to move up from my earnings at the time ($20k per year) to three times that amount -- virtually "impossible" where I was working. To cut to the chase. A year later I was making $80,000 per year, I kept doing better each year and I am still doing well. Things fell into place without any planning too many to relate. I gave up a salaried job I hated in order to free-lance but without any real prospects for doing well at it -- the idea was to tread water until I found something I liked better. But a first client appeared out of nowhere and referred me to another. Work kept coming in and did not stop. Every year I did better. I don't really know how it works, and I don't particularly care. I do know it worked for me -- and still does, and not just financially. So do I believe Bristol was on to something? You bet your life I do. I have also had a chance to observe other people for whom things seem to work out well, none of whom have read this book. They confirm one of its basic principles. People tend to get what they expect -- they fulfil their own prophecies. In general, optimists thrive, the pessimists don't. What this book shows is that these attitudes are not "givens" -- to an extent they can be self-generated.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Books of My Life, January 7, 2002
This review is from: The Magic of Believing (Mass Market Paperback)
Of all the self-help and self-improvement books I have read in my life, this one is best. Claude Bristol wrote "The Magic of Believing" in the late forties when the subconscious mind was less understood. He only knew that there was some kind of powerful psychic force that exists, that can be tapped for man's good. Intuitively, I think I have always known this. I first learned it in college, when I made an effort to change my beliefs about what is possible -- and made the Dean's List for the first time in my life.
The mind is like a thermostat, and once set at a level of accomplishment, it will not allow the individual to exceed that set level. The thermostat is really what you believe is possible for you. When "the area of the possible" expands for you, your accomplishments will expand as well.
This is not really "magic," it only seems that way. It is really natural forces at work that are not completely understood, yet may be used for your benefit.
I reread this book every few years. I am always amazed at the insights it contains.

5.0 out of 5 stars You Can Run But You Cannot Hide..., September 7, 2006
This review is from: The Magic of Believing (Mass Market Paperback)
I find human beings fascinating. We go through life thinking that somehow the world is outside of us, that things just seem to happen to us, that there really is no way to get ahead in life so stop complaining...nobody will listen anyway, right? Most of us just settle for the leftovers...fighting over the scraps like scavenger dogs and yet within the heart and soul of each of us there lives a King...a Queen...that desires to come forth and lay claim to what is rightfully ours to express, extend, and experience. But how do we do this? How do we go from rags to riches? How do we step away from our past and into a glorious present?

By believing...

I see you smirking. I know, I know, you've heard that before. But did you really believe or did you just pretend to believe when in fact you did believe you just believed that you didn't believe even though you were still believing? Got it?

We cannot escape believing. We believe even when we don't believe. It's not a question of whether or not we are believing, it becomes a matter of what we are willing to believe. I once believed that God was out to get me. Everywhere I went I met with dissapointment, failure, and rejection. I believed that I was cursed and you could not talk me out of it no matter what. And then I got this book. I don't exactly know how it came into my experience, but there must have been a smidgen of optimism in my fog of despair to allow some clarity to shine through.

While reading this book I had an ephiphany. I am the writer, the director, the producer, and the star actor of my own show. My Life is my very own production. Let's just say that bad things really did happen in my life. Good things could've been happening at the same time but I believed in the "bad" more than the "good". And guess what? I expected bad things to happen. I literally looked forward to bad things to happen. I must've because they kept on happening! I focused on the negative, the tragic, the dissapointment, the discouraging and that is exactly what I got.

Focus = Reality.

So where is your focus right now? Are you focused on paying the lousy bills or are you focused that the universe is truly abundant and that you are entitled to a prosperous life? Do you pass a mirror and stick your tounge out at the reflection or do you look yourself in the eyes and tell yourself that you forgive yourself for anything that you may have done. The only time that it is ever too late is the time you are "no more". I don't care if you're 9...I don't care if you're 99...the time to create your life is NOW!

This book is a great read BUT you must be willing to apply its truths. You must be willing to put aside the self-imposed nonsense and accept for yourself a greater, more beautiful vision. You will become what you desire to be if you keep that vision in front of you and you keep, keep, keep believing.

Remember what Henry Ford said, "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are correct..."

May you believe in new possibilities...

Peace & Blessings.

5.0 out of 5 stars My own long-term experiment with this book, September 13, 2000
Amazon Customer (Suzieup, Kyonggi, ROK.) - See all my reviews
Hello. I'm a 37-year-old Korean and live in south Korea. At first I read this Magic of Believing in 1978. It was translated into Korean. I found it by chance on the desk of my father's. At that time the book did not give any impression to me. But I started to read it seriously in Aug, 1984, when I was in the 3rd year student of Seoul National University of Korea, because I began to worry about my future. Before that I believed in Christian religion, but I couldn't find any answer from that religion. On the contrary this book written by Claude M. Bristol seemed to ansewer perfectly to my question about my future job, girl friend, way of life, millitary service, etc. Since then I have read it sincerly again and again as christian read the Bible, and practiced the rules that the author taught to me. Until now I have read that book more than 100 times as long as about 17 years. I have read English version of that book foreworded by Nido Qubein since about 8 years before. Now this book became a part of my thought, my way of life with the author's another book, TNT- the power within you. Now I can't live without this book. I have achieved many things like my job, career, educational achivement, etc. with my own hard work and these books. I really, really recommend you read and reread this book as Bristol says. Now I want to say my hearty wish. I want to know the personal life of Claude M. Bristol, like his history of life, his family, his career that is not appeared in this book. I want to visit his hometown and see his house. I want to have his biography. And I want to discuss with the people who have the same idea as I have. My e-mail is ohgidu@yahoo.co.kr.
Thank you for reading my review even with my poor English.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Power of Believing, March 26, 2009
This review is from: The Magic of Believing (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is all about increasing the chances of getting what you want by believing that you CAN get it. Written in the 1940's, this book is still pretty popular. Interestingly, it's concepts are still being written about in more recent works such as "The Secret".

I don't know how much science there really is to this stuff, but I will tell you that every successful person you talk to has believed, to varying degrees, that they COULD actually get to where they are today. There's just something about believing that it's possible to get what you want that makes things happen- and reading this book will go a long way towards getting your thoughts on the right track. The writing is laid back and the numerous examples make it interesting.

Get the book if you feel like you need a little help in getting what you want out of life. It will get you headed in the right direction, and remember, you can't get what you want until you KNOW what you want. And believing you can get it is the whole point of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars It Works!, March 20, 2007
E. J. Kennedy (Chicago, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Magic of Believing (Mass Market Paperback)
I bought this book over 20 years ago by mistake at a used book store. I thought it was about something else, but once I started reading it, I was fascinated. It's very easy to understand and simply written, but the message is unmistakenly powerful ... you can have anything you desire if you put your mind to it. This book is a very early fore-runner of the Law of Attraction books that are so popular now -- same message, but a lot less fluff around it. The book is thin, but the author wastes no words. So how do I know it works?

Shortly after reading this book, I got the idea to give it a test. I needed a car and one day, out of the blue, my husband saw a sweepstakes advertised in which the prize was a brand new sports car. I had told him nothing about the book or my desire to test it, so it was kind of surprising when out of the blue, he said, "Hey, why don't you send your name in to this contest?" I did. Then, from that day until the day the winner was to be chosen, I did absolutely everything this book suggested. I followed the instructions to the T ... every single day. On the day the winner was to be chosen, I just knew I was going to win. I knew my name was going to be drawn as the winner. It sounds crazy, but there was just no way it could NOT happen. So when they called me to tell me I'd won, I wasn't even surprised. The contest guy said, "Well, you don't sound surprised." LOL! How could I? After following all the instructions in this book, I was absolutely sure I would win!

If you get this book, read it and then set a little test for yourself. Follow the instructions to the letter and don't let any doubts in your mind. See what happens. I bet you won't be surprised either!

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest self-help book of all time, September 8, 2003
This review is from: The Magic of Believing (Mass Market Paperback)
Words can't express the power in this book. I first read it when I was 16 and it changed my life. I've read it six times since. I'm now almost 50. Out of all the books I read, this is one of the top three that changed my life. I say get it, read it, use it, share it. It's a masterpiece. - Joe Vitale ...

5.0 out of 5 stars The Science of Setting Your Goal...and then reaching it!, September 27, 2005
This review is from: The Magic of Believing (Mass Market Paperback)
The Magic of Believing by Claude Bristal is one of those magical books like Think & Grow Rich that never get old and never stop delivering on their promises. Like Napoleon Hill's work, many if not all of the top trainers of today have Claude Bristol in their work.

Back in 1976 I promoted a bodybuilding contest which featured Arnold Schwarzeneggar. Arnold was big on mental conditioning. He talked about using mental pictures and running movies over and over in your mind to see success before it has happened. Exactly what Bristal says to do in this book.

About the same time, I was involved in anetwork marketing company and all of the top people raved about The Magic of Believing. Many of these people were making $20,000 a month and more and this was in 1970s $$$$!!! That is like $100,000 a month today.

What impressed me was when I read about the "mirror technique." Really nothing new, a lot of people use it. Actors use it. Speakers use it. The most successful sales people use it. What impressed me was when I read that a drunk man talked himself sober in about 5 minutes using nothing but the mirror technique. The top rep int he company I was in at that time said he never left home without using the mirror technique. He even used it throughout the day. It is the fastest way to reach the subconscious mind.

I heard that some people had doubled, tripled and even quadrupled their incomes with use of this technique. I started using it before sales calls, early in the morning and last thing at night. My income went from $480/month (in 1976) to $2,500/month (in 1976)

Like Think & Grow Rich, this is must reading for anyone who wants to reach their maximum potential. While you are at it, read TNT another great book by Bristal. And if you don't have it already, get Think & Grow Rich.

Good to see the great Nido Qubein do the forward. Talk about a success story and a testiment to the merits of this book! It's hard to beat Nido Qubein.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't..., October 27, 2003
...you're right!" -- Henry Ford
Have you ever known someone who constantly thinks doom and gloom, and seems to find it at every turn? Have you ever known someone who expects the best of every situation and always seems to get it? That, according to author Claude Bristol, is the Magic of Believing.
The Magic of Believing works because Bristol was himself a skeptic at first. He presents this controversial topic with complete objectivity, addressing and overcoming objections throughout, and creates an excellent case for the power of belief.
Bristol reminds us that "...whatever we fix our thoughts upon or steadily focus our imaginations upon, that is what we attract." He doesn't assume that thought alone will bring success, but also encourages the reader to develop a plan of action, and gives simple steps to help make it a reality.
I can personally vouch for the validity of this material. The unconscious application of these principles has taken me to international acclaim as an author, when three years ago my only resources were a written affirmation statement and a strong belief.
Here's the funny part...it only works if you believe that it will work! If you don't, it won't. Do yourself a favor -- hang on to that naive belief long enough to see it work for you. This book could be where it all starts.
Larry Hehn, Author of Get the Prize: Nine Keys for a Life of Victory

5.0 out of 5 stars This Audio Tape Version Is a Must for Bristol Believers, February 27, 2002
If you are a fan of Claude M. Bristol's book THE MAGIC OF BELIEVING, then do yourself a favor. Get this tape and play it often, especially when you feel yourself surrounded by doubts and negativity. At once you will be reminded of all the simple but powerfully effective principles that are to be found in this timeless classic.
And if you are unfamiliar with the book? That's okay. The abridged audio tape version stands alone quite well. So even those who haven't got time to read the full text of the original book will still come away with all they need to know about this "science of setting your goal and then reaching it."
The audio tape, like the book, works best when you apply what you have learned consistently, on a daily basis. So what better way to do that than to listen to a section here and there: in the car, on your lunch break, or just as you are drifting off to sleep at night? Believe it or not (no pun intended), I think the shortened cassette version of Mr. Bristol's book is even more powerful than the book itself. It cuts to the essence of the book in a way that excites the listener's imagaination.

The Magic of Believing
The Magic of Believing by Claude M. Bristol (Mass Market Paperback - May 1, 1991)
$6.99 $6.29