Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 30, 1999
IN the 'self-help' category, The Magic Lamp stands out - It REALLY HELPS YOU SET GOALS AND ACHIEVE THEM! It is not only a thoroughly good 'read' but a practical, straight forward way to focus in on the areas YOU dream of improving, rather than trying to convince you that you need to do/be/becoome many of the things OTHERS want you to become. Since reading this book, I've started exercising reguarly, getting up 30 minutes earlier to work on my dream (remember, that's the most important thing you do all day!) and generally stop beating myself up in the process about all the "shoulds" and "could-have's" in my life. When distracted by the white noise of my day, I can now pause to remind myself of what is important - working on my dream rather than trudging along. A GREAT book!
11 comment|68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 1999
This book is different. It avoids all the cliches used in so many other books. I have already started implementing many of the ideas from this book in my daily life. Alot of self-help books get me excited as I read them, but when I finish them I put them back on the shelf and forget about them. Not this one. It will never be too far out of reach. It's funny, but all self-help authors seem very egotistical, thinking that their book is the answer to the worlds problems. This author shows no pretense, but portrays a consise, easy to understand method of setting goals. Changing ourselves is not easy. No matter what methods we us, or who tells us of an easier way to do it. This book is better than most at putting the message across.
0Comment|110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 14, 1999
This is a nicely written book; it is a "good read." Its strong suit is in showing how to implement goals once they are down on paper in front of you. But that is 95% of the book. The process of determining what your goals are, or setting them, gets short shrift.
on May 8, 2003
When you see a book has over 200 pages and it's on a subject like goals, you know it might get repititive. It's not that the last chapters were not important, but they seemed to be reiterating the same idea. After all, having to read too much is keeping you from realizing your goals! The author talks a lot about "wishes" in the beginning and it seems contrary to what we typically call wishes, but after that, he really lays out a plan on how to realize goals that are sound.
I say it is "unique" because the writer is not one of those people who always knew what he wanted to do and did it. I could relate to him, unlike many of the authors of these type of books. Plus, the book was not anecdote after anecdote, which I really liked. If you take one thing away from this book, it should be not to worry about how you didn't accomplish what you wanted previous to reading the book....realize that it's never too late.
on April 16, 2005
I say this because this is the best book I have ever read on setting goals. Most books that are written on the subject of procrastination and goal setting are usually written in a very dry formulary way of how to set out tasks and a list of things to do, and when you don't fullfill them you think once again I have failed, I will never achieve my goals.

This book is different. This book was written by a man that didn't know how to fullfill his goals. He spent years avoiding them,not even thinking about them, but he taught himself ways that he could achieve them. Some people don't even know what there goals are, but he gives you techniques on how to find them. He shows you really effective ways to find more time. He points out the importance of not trying to work on too many goals at once. And the most beneficial thing I got out of the book was the wake up call that goals take TIME. Sometimes a long time. I have always been a procrastinator, and I realized it was because if I couldn't see a difference with little steps I took , I gave up. He makes you see that it is the long term picture when you see results. It may take months, years a lifetime, but the baby steps count. I see that now! I loved this book and I hope you will too!
on March 5, 2006
"The Magic Lamp" is a very good book to learn how to define your goals, how to do something every day towards your goals, and how to manage your progress.

Things I learned from it:

- the 11 steps to define your goal; I especially like step #7 (Begin your goals with "I choose...") and step #8 (Make it emotional)

- the 7 steps to create an action plan

- to focus on one or maximum two goals at a time

- to schedule a weekly progress report to manage the progress of your goals

- the 30-day plan to create a new habit

- the preference question (e.g. What is more important to me right now? Eat that chocolate cake or loose weight?)

- the FAQ-section at the back of the book

- how to finish what you start

The style of this book is also very different from the success boys like Robbins, Tracy, etc. who promise that you'll double your income, be more successful, blah, blah by setting goals.

If you want only 1 book about goal setting: buy this book. However, I think it is good to compare it with a more traditional goal setting book to appreciate "The Magic Lamp" even more. (e.g. buy also Brian Tracy's book or audio book "Eat That Frog")
on November 12, 2002
You have to hand it to Keith Ellis. He's created a new hook for the goal-setting self-help book market.
There's not much new here that you won't find in other goal-setting books. Mostly he changes the word 'goals' to 'wishes', but its a fine distinction. And there is a lot more inspirational, 'you can do it' talk. But if you have read other goal setting books, this is about the same.
It's not bad, as goal setting books go, but it's nothing new.
on March 26, 2006
I've read lots of books on self-help, setting goals, time-management, etc. So I'm often reluctant to read more, feeling that I've learned most of what's our there.

'The Magic Lamp,' however, is an excellent read for anyone who wants to get more out of life. It's a wonderful combination of fresh insights and time-tested wisdom and common sense.

And true to the book's promise, Mr. Ellis does help the reader foster a perspective from which setting goals is not a chore, but rather a pleasure.

'The Magic Lamp' also contains a lengthy, priceless appendix that lists other recommended books. Highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon July 17, 2011
The author has a method for painstakingly drawing out every step of writing a goal. At first I thought this was good because it makes it easy for people who don't know what to do, but after a while it seemed silly. The worst part if that it's supposed to four steps to make a goal, but then within each step there are many steps. The way the book is set up is also confusing, because there will be "LAMP process 1" and then 1 chapter expaining that process, 3 chapters that are about something else, and then the next LAMP process. Why couldn't they just lay out the LAMP process without a bunch of fluff in between? The author is almost obsessive compulsive in his little "steps." For example, here are the steps to his "first things first" priniciple:

Step 1. Figure out the most important thing for you to be doing right now.
Step 2. Do it.

And his formula for solving problems:
Step 1: Decide what problem you want to solve.
Step 2: Choose the solution.
Step 3: Take action to implement your solution.

Wow. If I would have known it was that easy, I would solved all of my problems in life by now.

When I wrote out my 10 most important wishes and rated them in importance, I figured out that my most important wish is something that is going to take years, while getting a job isn't isn't as "important" to me, it's certainly the one that needs to be done first. Later on, the author tells us that we can pick and choose which one to work on first (then why did we have to go through that whole long rating process??). He also says we can only work on one goal at a time! I don't know about you, but that doesn't seem right to me.

So after following his instructions, I broke my goal of getting a job into very small steps and wrote them into my planner. Unfortunately, you can write out a million steps but if you are going about it the wrong way, it's not going to help. It was much more helpful to me to just read a book about getting a job, rather than planning all these steps to get a job.

One thing I did like about the book was his discussion of positive thinking and affirmations. But of course, this information is only in 1,000 other self help books. I was already implementing it in my life, so it was nice to read it but not very helpful. I also liked his discussion of growth and going out of your comfort zone. He talks about how we have the power to make choices and decide our own fate, and that "wishing works, if you do." Agreed, but wishing is the same as writing a goal, and I sure wish I would have just bought a book about writing goals. Maybe it wouldn't be filled with all these useless "steps" and lists and brainstorming exercises. I don't think pursuing your goals should take up your ENTIRE life.
on April 23, 2002
I must say that I was a little skeptical about reading a goal setting book that looked so short and tiny. But after starting the book, I realized what a treasure I had found. The book so eloquently redefines Goals into Wishes and provides a new way to look at goals and goal setting. I very much like how the book is structured with each chapter devoted to some aspect of goal setting and many practical exercises sprinkled throughout the pages. I would definitely recommend this book if you are interested at all in goal setting.