Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage R6 Siege Outdoors Gift Guide on bgg

Format: PaperbackChange

on July 20, 2002
Simple actionable advice for self-improvement. Basically, we are what we think, so think big.
1) Build confidence in yourself. Action reduces fear, so act.
Take small steps at first: Sit in the front everywhere you go, practice eye contact, walk 25% faster, practice speaking up, smile big, use positve words.
2) Think and dream creatively. Believe that it can be done and then the mind finds a way to get it done. Be open to new ideas and be progressive. Stimulate yourself with diverse ideas from diverse people. Capacity is a state of mind.
3) You are what you think. "The price tag you put on yourself, is probably the same price tag that the world will put on you." (pg 75) Dress up. Think your work is important. Think enthusiastically. Ask yourself if you are the type of manager that a subordinate would respect and follow?
4) Manage your environment because it is food for your mind.
People who tell you that it cannot be done are usually unsuccessful people.
5) Make your attitudes your allies. Live it up. Broadcast good news. Do better work that others expect. Remember people's names. Take initiative to build friendships. Talk less. Listen.
6) Get the action habit. Nothing happens just by thinking. Do not worry about problems. You can handle them as they come. Successful people handle problems as they arise. You cannot buy insurance on all problems. Start now.
7) Turn defeat into victory. Defeat is a state of mind. Be constructively self-critical; do not just look for another reason that you are a loser. Think that there IS A WAY. If it does not work, then back off and start afresh. Get mentally refreshed.
8) Use goals to help you grow. Goal is a dream acted upon. "The important thing is not where you were or where you are but where you want to get." (pg 195) Know where you want to go. Visualize your future.
9) How to think like a leader. Achieving success requires the help of others. Trade minds with the people you want to influence. "What would I think if I were that person?" Be human, and put people first.
The last words of the book, sum up its meaning:
"A wise man will be master of His Mind. A Fool will be Its Slave."
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 18, 1999
Actually, one of two great books that has poitively affected my life, this great book by Dr. Schwartz is a must for anyone and everyone who wants more out of life; relationships, fn, business, career growth and of course--more money. The other book that affected my life isMore Wealth without Risk by Charles Givens. This will do for your financial life what Magic of Thinking Big does for personal growth. Both are must reads.
on October 20, 2002
It is always shady when you see someone using the usual cliché "This book has changed my life!". While I usually don't
take those comments seriously (too much money wasted in 'life-changing' books, I guess) I have to admit that sometimes
a particular book hits you with more impact than usual and after a couple of years some self-examination might leave you
with the impression that perhaps the author has indeed influenced your choice of paths more than you would have expected.
This was the case with me and Dr. Schwartz's "Magic". I am not an intense fan of self-help and motivational literature,
but do read a title or two now and then. I have read many of the classics like Dale Carnegie's books (almost all), Napoleon Hill's "Think and grow rich", Covey's "The 7 habits of highly successful people" and others like "How to be a start at work",
"The power of positive thinking",Psychocybernetics" and many more that have sold millions, are mentioned everywhere and everybody seems to love.
Maltz, Hill, the list goes on. The fact it that so far no book of this kind has proven to be as effective with me as this one. I
even felt I have wasted too much money. Not the case with this particular book. This is the kind of title where you read things you already know, you are after all mostly just looking for motivation. That extra push to get you going in particular moments when things aren't flowing as easily as you'd wish. And for that use, my preference goes to books that have an honest simplicity. This title isn't verbose, it isn't very technical or full or scholarship, perhaps even some of its examples are fully fictional. The truth is that I don't care about that, because it has proven very effective.
If you are looking for something to motivate you (in any area), I suggest you try this title first. The effect with you might be quite different.
Perhaps Napoleon Hill's style suits you better (I truly disliked his books) or maybe some other author. But to many of us, Schwart'z approach is perfect. I first read this over a year ago, and can now look back and see certain aspects that were definitely made easier because if it. Overall, the only thing I regret is not having found this title much sooner in my life (I'm 27), but it will no doubt still prove useful for many years.
As a side recommendation, I suggest you combine this with the autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, or the more accessible "The Art of Virtue" also based on Franklin's words, Dale Carnegie and as much wisdom and self-examination as you can come up with. The results won't be magic, but I'm pretty sure the improvement will be easy to notice.
on March 4, 2001
I first read the magic of thinking big over 21 years ago when I was invloved in a home based business. At the time, I was struggling, after reading Magic of Thinking Big, my business exploded.Writing my own 30 second commercial was one of the most powerful strategies that I got from this book.I also recommend Business Buy The Bible and Don't Set Goals (The Old Way) to add to your educational library.
on April 22, 2001
David Schwartz's classic success book "The Magic of Thinking Big" is one of the top ten all time best proactive success books. After you have read it you will begin to refer to the earlier part of your life as "before I read the book." Even before you finish reading it the first time, you will be a changed person - it's that incredible. I say first time because you will want to read it again and again. My copy is well read, well read, and well marked. It has been a treasured part of my library and I've recommended it to others countless times.
I consider David Schwartz to be one of the earliest "proactive thinkers" in the world. If you haven't read this book before, get ready for profound wisdom. Schwartz makes it easy to understand that our thoughts are things and have God given powers, far beyond what is commonly taught by others. I can tell you from my own astonishing situations and experiences that, "your success really is most definitely determined by what and how you think."
Schwartz covers all of the proactive bases: smart thinking, system thinking, futuristic thinking, and positive thinking. If you are truly seeking the kind of success and abundance that makes your life 100% livable - you must read this book. Many of his ideas are found in SUCCESS BOUND, another book built on learning how to live a proactively life that is God centered and fulfilling.
You will find that this exciting book becomes a part of you. Don't hold back - let it happen. In fact, you should spend 10 to 15 minutes every morning focusing your thoughts on the truths of this book, thereby allowing them to seep deep into your subconscious mind. If you do this I guarantee this wisdom will most assuredly bring you the success and abundance you deserve.
Enjoy the book and your new proactive success life!
on August 2, 1999
The Magic of Thinking Big is a fantasticbook and must reading for anyone who wants optimum success. The 30-second commercial made a major impact on my life, although it seemed ridiculous in the beginning. I have Dr Schwartz's other books, but this is the best. I also suggest "SuperSelf" by Charles J. Givens, probably one of the most under rated self help books out there and a must read. Great books---great results!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 24, 1999
This has got to be the best self-help book ever written! No pie-in-the-sky sweet talk here...just good common sense advice on hundreds of common "thought traps" that people of all ages fall into. Pick the book up and open to ANY page and start will find yourself nodding your head in agreement with the author, and saying to yourself,"Why didn't I ever think of things this way?" This book cleared out the cobwebs in my own head over ten years ago, and once you pick it up, you won't be able to put it down! You'll also want to share it with any of your friends who aren't thinking "big enough" in their lives. Unlike most of the other self-help, positive thinking books out there, this book uses "real world" types of examples, not lofty hypothetical discussions that the reader personally can't relate to. It changed my entire thought process with regards to what I expect out of life, and it will do it for you, too!
on September 14, 2005
(short and sweet) I read lots of self help books, this was by far the best book, I've ever read. "Two thumbs way up!"
on July 23, 2001
This book should probably be read every two or three years. It's a wonderful, effective motivational tool. It stresses finding success, happiness and peace of mind at the level you believe that you can achieve. Although THE MAGIC OF THINKING BIG has been deemed a management tool, it could also be a personal development and life skills textbook because it works on the mind, not just the business.
According to the author, the differences between the successful people and others include confidence and positive thinking and reinforcement.
You actually feel empowered and worthy after you've read this. These are powerful concepts. I highly recommend this book
on September 26, 2003
I have to admit, I have read this book about 8 times. I make it a goal to read this book every six months because of the powerful influences that come from Dr. Schwartz. I read this book initially in 1999 and was taken aback by how powerful the thinking process is. As a result of applying the book, I was able to get a better job, attain certifications in my field (Computers), buy a house and feel much better about myself. If you find yourself in need of a change, look no further than this book.
I recommend this book for family and friends. While the book was written some 30+ years ago, the concepts are still relevant, and the stories hold true today.
Put this book at the top of your must read list!!!