4.0 out of 5 stars Still nice even after 10 years
Ok, I have to admit that the first time I read this book was about ten years ago, when I was fourteen. Yeah, I'm a big girl and yet I took it off my shelf and read it again after all this time. The story somehow stuck in my mind, the creepy cover haunted my memory.

Published on May 15, 2005 by - Kasia S.

3.0 out of 5 stars Trish VS The Muffin Masquerader
Oh man, oh man. I found this book for a quarter at a local thrift shop and told myself I'd save it for some rainy day when all I wanted to do was stay inside in bed and have some fun and I got exactly what I wanted. Well, minus the rainy day at least.

Published on January 12, 2012 by Acacia

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Still nice even after 10 years, May 15, 2005
This review is from: The Mall (Mass Market Paperback)

After reading more grown up stuff for the past years, I felt like I had to lower my thinking a bit to get into this teenage world, but I have enjoyed the story once again.

Trish is being stalked by a man with a thousand faces, and she isn't safe anywhere, even in her own head. The mall, a place of fun and games is suddenly a maze of deadly possibilities, and chased by a madman, real or not, is quite a scary ride.

Very good book, for any age! Enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Description, November 29, 2004
Lyn (Virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mall (Mass Market Paperback)
Because there is not a book description for this book, I am going to write what it says on the back of the book, then I will tell you my opinion of the book:

"Trish smiles into the dressing-room mirror, admiring herself in the gorgeous white dress. Unknown to her, someone else is satching. He knows she is smiling just for him. His soft, strange voice whispers her name from the crowd. His hooded eyes follow her every move....

At first she thinks he's just a creepy customer, hanging around Muffin Mania where she works at the mall. But suddenly he's everywhere, the man with a thousand faces tormenting her day and night. He knows her secrets. There's no safe place to hide. There's no one she can tell, no one she can trust. How can she escape a madman willing to kill to make her his--forevermore."

This is one of the first books that I ever read by Cusick, and I liked it a lot. Trish works at the local mall with her friends Nita and Imogene. There she meets two guys, Wyatt and Storm. She kindof has this thing for Storm, but she can't trust anyone, and he seems mysterious. The reason she can't trust anyone is because there is a weird mysterious guy following her around in the mall, and other places as well. Trish starts to become paranoid, and she has good reason to. She even gets hurt by this weirdo. Read this book to find out what happens, and you won't regret it! The ending is surprising!

Richie Tankersley Cusick has got to be my favorite author. I have loved every book that I have read by her. I know many other people love her books as well, and I don't understand why her books are not being printed anymore! It's so hard to find them!

Here are the other great books that I have read by this author:
The Lifeguard
Vampire
Someone at the Door
Trick or Treat
Overdue
The Drifter
Scarecrow
Silent Stalker, which isn't as good as the others, but it is still pretty good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, November 21, 2003
Sarah "starmasayume" (NPR, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mall (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the second book I read by RTC, after Silent Stalker, and after both have ranked on my most favorite books, I've definitely become a fan of this author. I just finished reading this book a half an hour ago.
The story revolves around Trish, a pretty average teen who works in Muffin Mania at the mall (where her two best friends work as well), is forced to endure a pretty nasty manager Bethany, views the gorgeous Storm Reynalds who works at the pizza place across from her as unattainable and possible a big flirt. Ever since she began working at the mall, however, someone has been watching her, planning. It starts with a weird customer, then a chilling phonecall, and she goes from being fairly freaked out to viewing this situation as absurd and not happening after an encounter at night with a "security guard" and a dead body that's dissappeared the next day. Someones stalking her, and as the story enravels you can really feel her desperation an urgency. As she starts to access and trying to figure out motives of the people around her--you can't help but try to as well. It left me guessing throughout.
I'm very fond of Trish's character, which is definitely a must with me. A story looses its status with me if I can't admire or feel for the character. I definitely loved the supporting characters as well, from her two best friends (sisters who couldn't be more opposite of each other) to Storm and another guy Wyatt--who I was intrigued by but could never figure out his connection till the end :) The ending wound everything up great. I definitely recommend this book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Trish VS The Muffin Masquerader, January 12, 2012
This review is from: The Mall (Mass Market Paperback)

I have such a weak spot for late 80s/early 90s horror cheese so this book was right up my alley. The plot could kind of be described as Phantom of the Mall. Trish and her friends all work at the local mall that is so populated by teenagers in high positions at the stores that one wonders if the town hadn't rewritten child labor laws just to keep the place in business. Things go down hill for her when she suddenly becomes the target for a stalker that I lovingly referred to as The Muffin Man in my head until he was given a name 3/4ths through the book. Hijinks ensue.

This isn't very well written, but its one of those rare gems where its so badly done that it makes you first want laugh out loud and then want to keep reading. The emphasis is always on the wrong word in the sentence, the ellipses abuse gets out of hand, the plot twists and character motivations make no sense, things/people/props pop in and out of scenes without meaning or explanation and to top it off its just plain silly. And yet I enjoyed it and do plan to tuck into another one of her novels asap.

I'd recommend this book to anyone else who had a love for the spooky and suspenseful in teen pulp from this time period who is looking for some inoffensive brain mush.

4.0 out of 5 stars The tale of terror at a ordinary shopping mall., November 9, 1999
This review is from: The Mall (Mass Market Paperback)
Stalker! Obsession! Love triangle! The Mall by Richie Tankersley Cusick uses these events to create a very suspenseful book. I liked the novel. One reason why I liked The Mall was the character Athan. He was very sneaky and mysterious. I never knew when he was going to appear. At first, I did not know who or what he was because he did not really appear a lot, but when he did the author made sure that his role took a big part. For instance, when he first appeared, he was sitting down at a table in the food court hiding behind a newspaper, staring at one particular person, wearing all black, with his body feeling like ice. If a strange guy ever stared at me the way he did, I do not know what I would do. Call the police? I do not know. He was very mysterious because when his character appeared he always looked different. One minute he would be an ordinary kind of guy, looking like a guard that works the night shifts for the mall and the next looking just like a kid that likes to shop. This guy had a thousand faces, and no one knew what he would be next but him. I also could not believe that Athan lived in the walls of the mall. I found this to be very freaky. Who in his or her right mind would ever live in the walls of a mall? I know I would not. Then again, I could understand why he could when this particular mall was the first one to be built and had been rebuilt many times. I guess at one point or another people would think the mall would have passageways. Who would not? He used the walls to hide in to watch the girl that he was interested in. For instance, when she was trying on a white dress, she felt like someone was watching her. When she looked around the dressing room to find out who, she could not find anyone because he was behind the mirror in the wall. This is the kind of action that makes him mysterious. Another reason The Mall was a good book was that the character Trish was very interesting. She was a brave person, who tried to find out the truth about what was happening to her. Even though she got scared at times, she still tries to stick up for herself. For instance, the first time she showed her courage was when she tried to run away from Storm. She thought at one point that he was the one that was causing all the pain that she was going through. When she tried running away from him, he caught her and pinned her down to the cold, dirty ground. She fought with all her might to get him loose. I do not see why he pulled her into his car against her free will. If one of my friends wanted to take me out to get some fresh air, by pulling me into his car, I do not know what I would do. I probably would scream and say, "Let me go!," but he might not listen because we are friends. Towards the end, Trish was also brave when she tried to capture Athan in the mall. At first, she was running away from him, but later she wondered why she should be running away from him when she wanted to know what he wanted from her. That is a good point of view. Why run away when sooner or later the craziness has to come to an end? Overall, The Mall was a very good book. Later, when the weather is cold outside, sit next to a warm fire and start reading The Mall. Oh yeah, make some popcorn, too, because once I started reading this I could not stop!

5.0 out of 5 stars My FAVORITE!!!, June 11, 1998
This review is from: The Mall (Mass Market Paperback)
This is THE BEST book I have EVER read. I'm 13, and the book that got me hooked on Cusick was Someone at the Door, another great book. In The Mall, my favorite characters are Wyatt and Storm, because of what they turn out to be in the end and because, when together, they say great sarcastic one-liners (which are my specialty). I also like "Athan", the way he's so pervertedly obsessed with Trish and how he actually lives IN the mall. That was cool.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, April 2, 2012
This review is from: The Mall (Kindle Edition)
I rather enjoyed reading this ebook. It has suspense enough to keep you reading faster to get to the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reader, Beware, You'll Love This Book!!, May 17, 2001
Cody (Klingon Valley, Crater VI, Moon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mall (Mass Market Paperback)
Trish works at a muffin place called Muffin Mania, and one day a strange man compliments her hands. She also notices another guy watching her, his name is Storm. Her friend likes this guy named Wyatt, and he isn't what he seems to be... And, later in the story, Trish meets the mysterious hand-complimenter, and he tells her how he is completely dedicated to her, and anything she wants, she can have, since he lives IN THE MALL! He has been watching Trish from the shadows. He says she can call him Athen. At the end, something utterly amazing happens. You never would have guessed this surprise ending! I guarantee this book will keep you "cliff-hanging," and on the edge of your chair!

5.0 out of 5 stars Reader, Beware, You'll Love This Book!!, May 17, 2001
Cody (Klingon Valley, Crater VI, Moon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mall (Mass Market Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars Different from most of her books, but still good...., June 1, 1999
This review is from: The Mall (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was a little different from most of her books, but still good. I realy liked the characters, storm. and Imogene and Nita. Because, I have two best friends (they are twins) who realy remind me of them. You'd think this would be realy unrealistic but, in fact, it's the total opposite. It's very beleiveable. The character, Athan, REALY freaked me out. Eww... he was a sick pervert. This book is very descriptive, and makes you feel as if your there. It also has a lot of action. It takes alot for books to scare me, but this one did.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›