5.0 out of 5 stars Best Voice In Country Music
Published on September 3, 2009 by Tommy Bland Jr.

3.0 out of 5 stars Chris Young/ The Man I Want to Be
There are only two songs in this particular CD that I really enjoy. Overall, I just love Young's voice though.
Published 16 months ago by Lindsey Marie Crumrine

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Voice In Country Music, September 3, 2009
This review is from: The Man I Want to Be (Audio CD)
I was hooked on Chris's voice right after his first appearance on Nashville Star. I've lived in Nashville for over 30 years, so I've heard a lot of good and bad newcomers over the years and I'm here to tell you that Chris is one of the best I've ever heard. His voice is unbelievable! There's a lot of "magic" that happens in the studios with a lot of artists so that the sound you hear on a CD or on the radio is not the same as what you'll hear live. This is not the case with Chris Young. I've heard him live quite a few times over the years (and as recently as 3 nights ago) and he is the rare breed that actually sounds best live with just an acoustic guitar. If you ever get the chance to see his live show, you will not be disappointed.

"The Man I Want To Be" is a great sophomore album. His first CD was good too, but in comparing the two, this newest CD portrays a much more mature choice of songs and seems to be better put together. I like the entire album from start to finish, but my personal favorite is "Voices". I also like "The Dashboard" and "The Shoebox."

Bottom line, Chris Young is a great artist and this is a great CD. Just buy it, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Enjoyable and Addictive Album, December 3, 2009
This review is from: The Man I Want to Be (Audio CD)
Chris Young is one of the freshest and most creative artists I've come across. I caught a video of his on TV one day and decided to check out his album, "The Man I Want to Be." It's simply amazing. The CD kick-starts with `That Makes Me,' an upbeat, sassy show of pride for Young's various interests that may make him a `hick' or `hillbilly,' but he doesn't care.

One of the shining stars of the album is definitely `Gettin' You Home.' It's fun and romantic. Young's deep, rich vocals definitely help out each song, especially on this track. It's very `country' yet he has his own style. The album ends with a very relaxing song titled `Rainy Night in Georgia,' a song originally by American singer-songwriter Tony Joe White.

I'm not a diehard fan of country music but artists like Chris Young really draw me into the genre. But in the end, I don't think about what genre this album is in. It's just a good CD. The only thing I'd criticize is the length of the album. It has only ten tracks. I hope Young has longer albums in the future.

I highly recommend "The Man I Want to Be" not only to country fans but to anyone who enjoys fun, thoughtful and clever music. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, September 11, 2009
This review is from: The Man I Want to Be (Audio CD)
This album came out on my birthday, and what a birthday present it was! Some tracks are meaningful and full of advice, like Shoebox. Others are just plain fun. The track "The Dashboard" is worth the price of the CD as it is one brother making a tribute to another who served overseas. 21 candles is fun and up beat. I definitely recommend buying the CD in any form you can.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best albums out there right now!, December 8, 2010
Michelle Crosslin (SHELBYVILLE, TN, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Man I Want To Be (MP3 Music)
I have always been a Chris Young fan, I will always be a Chris Young fan. I bought this album the day it was released. I have not stopped listening to it yet! Yes, that's how amazing it is! There is not a fluff piece in it, all of the songs on this album are potential singles, and yes I truly believe, he could even make a single out of "Rainy Night in Georgia" because his vocals on it are absolutely impeccable! The man is truly so talented it's scary and seeing him life shows that there are no dubs or fixes on his albums. you're getting the best of him in every recording and every performance. If you love the 3 singles that are already out, "Getting you Home", "The Man I Want To Be" (both number 1's by the way) and "Voices" you will surely love the up-tempo of "That Makes Me" and "Twenty One Candles" they are wonderful upbeat, fun songs. Seeing the more sentimental side of Chris comes out again in "The Dashboard", The Shoebox", and "It Takes a Man". His remarkable duet with Willie Nelson on "Rose of Paradise" even turned this not so bug of a Willie Nelson fan's head. So if you were on the fence, I hope this makes you consider buying the album, because it is well worth it. I enjoy every second I get to hear this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Singer, November 7, 2010
This review is from: The Man I Want to Be (Audio CD)
I love the title Track to this CD The Man I Want To Be, it is very true song. I wish more guy thought that way there would be less Divorces. If people were more willing to stop and ask God to help them be better people and then follow his advice the world would be a better place.

5.0 out of 5 stars sandiluvsjh, February 24, 2010
This review is from: The Man I Want to Be (Audio CD)
His best album ever! I liked this album so much that I gave it to everyone for Christmas this year, and it may also go into some Easter baskets. Even friends who are not huge fans of country music have told me how much they enjoyed this album. I think that speaks volumes for the talent of this singer and for the music on this CD. His style and range are diverse, and that's what makes this music so likeable. He can put you in a mellow mood with a slow song then have you dancing with the cat in the kitchen (I have witnesses) on a subsequent toe-tapper. I only have a two-word suggestion...BUY IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Country Artist!! Bar none!, March 30, 2011
This review is from: The Man I Want to Be (Audio CD)
Chris Young is the best. His music shows a lot of heart & soul. He is good man with music that is timeless. His song "The Shoebox" hits right at home since I lost my father & grandfather too. His songs are all 5 stars. He is good example of how music is surpose to be. This album is one that you will listen to forever! He is a great man & has many great years ahead of him. He is going to be a legend, someday. I can't wait to get his new Album "Neon".

5.0 out of 5 stars Country Storytelling at Its Best, March 29, 2011
Karrie D. Waskiewicz (Omaha, NE United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Man I Want to Be (Audio CD)
This CD is one of my favorites. Chris Young has a great baritone voice, and he chooses music that showcases it well. He is able to travel from soulful tunes to traditional country with ease. I purchased the CD, because I like the hits "The Man I Want to Be" and "Gettin' You Home." While both of these songs are good, there are several other gems on this album. The album opens with a rockin' song with a redneck theme. "That Makes Me" celebrates those who are "old school" and "throw back." The stories and sentiment in "The Dashboard" and "It Takes a Man" are both so good. "The Dashboard" is about a brother who is going into the military, and "It Takes a Man" is about a young couple facing an unexpected pregnancy. "Voices" and "The Shoebox" have similar messages, listening to and remembering your loved ones. Finally, Chris does a great cover of the classic "Rainy Night in Georgia." Soulful and heartfelt...even Ray Charles would be proud! I love it so much that I gave my copy to my brother, who also loves it, and ordered another for myself last month. If you like songs that tell stories, you will especially like this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars More Please!, March 29, 2011
This review is from: The Man I Want to Be (Audio CD)
Country is back! This is Country music folks. In its truest form. Take Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Alabama, Brooks and Dunn, and ZZ Top, add a terrific voice, and put them in a blender. This CD is what you'll get. He knows how to write 'em, and surely knows how to sing 'em! The songs on the radio do not do this album justice. It goes a lot deeper than that. Chris Young can rock your world in one song and break your heart in the next. This album is heartwarming and purely driven.
If you're a fan of any generation of Country music, this one will fit the bill.
It's also nice to see an artist today that, while he is not preachy, isn't afraid to sing about God. That is something we've been missing in Country these days.
Go ahead and buy this one. For how inexpensive it is, you can not go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT A GREAT SURPRISE!, December 9, 2010
This review is from: The Man I Want to Be (Audio CD)
Okay, so I'll admit it. There are times I purpose a CD for one song in hopes that I'll like enough of the others on it to make it worth my wild. Once I receive the CD, I'm often so enamored with that one particular song that I can't stop listening to it, thus never getting to the others on the album...or I only listen once through, not really absorbing each one for it's uniqueness. There are those times when a song hits you right away and you fall quickly in love with it and other times where it takes hearing it a few times before you become hooked.

Mind you, this does not happen all the time but with this particular album, it did. So I specifically purchased it for GETTING YOU HOME. Months later I have the radio on in my car, something I rarely do (always listen to CD's), and an amazing song comes on, VOICES. It didn't take long to recognize the amazing, soothing, deep rich voice of Chris Young. Immediately it hit me that I may very well have that song.

When I got home I punched in CHRIS YOUNG on Amazon, and just as I thought, he only has two CD's out and I have them both! What a great surprise that was. Since then, I've listen to the entire album over and over, loving ALL of it.

Funny how things work out sometimes.

The Man I Want to Be
The Man I Want to Be by Chris Young (Audio CD - 2009)
Rate and Discover Movies