Published on November 19, 2008 by melindeeloo

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellant Early Beach Read
Published on April 24, 2009 by Anna Hope

5.0 out of 5 stars This sexy shifter pair will make you howl with laughter and purr with satisfaction., November 19, 2008
This review is from: The Mane Attraction (Paperback)
With a hefty reward offered for his death, undercover cop and lion shifter Mitch is badly wounded by a would-be assassin's bullet just days before he is to deliver the testimony that will bring down a powerful crime boss -- then he's off to witness protection. In order to keep Mitch safe from others looking to cash in, wolf shifter Sissy Mae Smith bundles up her bleeding buddy and takes Mitch to the one place where she know she can make a stand - the one place Sissy avoids when ever possible - she takes him home to Smith Town. But as Mitch recovers, Sissy Mae and Mitch start seeing each other in a whole different way and soon they are taking their relationship to the next level with lots humor and plenty of heat.

I am really becoming a fan of Laurenston's shifter romances. These are a steamy and fun with all kinds of crazy family relationships, fun little side bits like the `great race' and let them eat pie scenes along with a handful of other subplots to stir into the mix. I loved both Sissy's and Mitch's uber-alpha mamas, the Aunts, and all the dynamics of the large extended southern werewolf family of Smith Town.

There was so much that was fun and funny. Like the wild dog shifters at the wedding playing tug-o-war and doing the pogo, and Mitch's whole 'I am a pampered puddy cat, feed me now' lion attitude. The humor, the banter, and the playfulness between Mitch and insane alpha Sissy Mae also serve to build the sexual tension between the pair since Laurenston holds off on the consummation until well into the book. Along with the tension building, Laurenston continues to do a great job of managing the steamy stuff - giving us a couple of healthy doses of spicy loves scenes and then just giving us sensual snippets to keep things hot while avoiding being repetitious.

After meeting bad-girl alpha Sissy in previous books, I wasn't so sure that I would be interested in seeing her as a leading lady -- she was truly evil to Jess. But I really did end up enjoying both Sissy and her story. Even though Sissy is still very alpha here, we see a surprising amount of vulnerability in her as she finally finds in Mitch the shifter who can match her appetites and challenge her `boundaries'. Can't wait for the next one.

For fans of the series, there are decent cameo appearances by past leading ladies Dez, Jess and Ronnie. Which means that this book will be more fun for you if you've read the previous two in the series.

Laurenston's Pride
The Mane Event (Pride, Book 1)
The Beast in Him (Pride, Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars LMAO, October 28, 2008
This review is from: The Mane Attraction (Paperback)
I LOVE SHELLY. I was really looking forward to this next installment of her Pride/Pack books. She did not dissappoint me. I haven't laughed out loud so many times while reading a book in a while. If you love snappy one liners, irreverent characters all over the place, smokin sex scenes, and more laughter, then The Mane Attraction is for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lion meets wolf, December 15, 2008
This review is from: The Mane Attraction (Paperback)
Shelly Laurenston's series about various wolves, lions, wild dogs and other shapeshifters continues with 'The Mane Attraction'. This was an enjoyable enough read, if a little light on actual plot elements. The hero, Mitch Shaw, is about to testify in a serious case and will have to go into witness protection afterwards. When a bounty is put on his head and he is almost killed, his friend Sissy Mae Smith takes him to safety to stay in Smithville, her family's town.

Of course there's nothing between Mitch and Sissy Mae who are just good friends. Sissy Mae has a wanderlust combined with a need to be with her family and Mitch will soon be living under a new name and in a new place. But as they share each others' lives and Mitch finds himself getting involved in Sissy's life and events in her hometown, the boundaries change. But is there any future for them, and can Mitch be kept safe?

As mentioned above, the plotline of the threat against Mitch is actually fairly subordinate in this book. Most of the content is the verbal banter between Sissy Mae and Mitch and it's very well written. I've read several of these books but I still get very confused by all the first names - Bubba Ray, Sissy Mae, Bobby Ray, Janie Mae, Ronnie Lee, Jackie Ray etc - as well as the few surnames for these big clans - Smith, Reed, Shaw etc. Still this was a reasonable read about two strong people learning about giving up control to each other and being supportive.

Originally published for Curled Up With A Good Book © Helen Hancox 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Best in the Series, May 12, 2011
This is one of my favorite books - one that I have read and re-read whenever I needed a laugh and feel good time. It is erotic, exciting and funny all at the same time. Usually when I buy a book, I pay more attention to the negative reviews than any 5 star reviews, but in this case - I'm glad that I did not!

As for the negative reviews,
If you start with this book in the series, then, yes you will be confused. This is one series that needs to be read in order because each book builds on the former.

Yes, the humor can be considered rude & crude and is also so realistic that you can imagine saying the same thing in the same situation.

The author blends the animal behavior in so well with the human side that it creates characters that the reader can easier believe in.

As for it being "insulting to the South", I've lived in the South all my life and while most parts are urban and not so "country", there are still to this day what one could call "redneck" communities that are as "unique" as Smithville or Smithtown. And YES - there are adults named Sissy and even some Bubbas (I don't like to admit it - but, yes I have known a few of them.)

If you are not into paranormal, shifter novels or don't believe that fun or humor should be included in an erotic novel - then no, you will not enjoy this book.

With that said, if you want to read a very well written book that will make you laugh, turn you on and not want to stop reading until the last page - this is definitely the book for you. (But, do start with the 1st in the series and then keep enjoying.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellant Early Beach Read, April 24, 2009
Anna Hope (PA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Mane Attraction (Paperback)
This is a very funny, light-hearted story of two shifters: the male a goofy lion who also happens to be an ex-undercover cop who is trying to testify as the star witness against a mobster, and the the female a well traveled but still Southern hick at heart alpha wolf. The pair have been buddies for a while but after Sissy's brothers wedding when an assassin tries to kill Mitch and nearly succeeds she spirits him away to deep backwoods Tennessee to heal and hide.

Once in the country the two are forced to realize that maybe their friendship has grown closer than they realized and is ready to take to the next level...as long as there are boundaries. But with a very large cast of friends and family all meddling in their lives their boundaries are bashed down till they can admit their love. Very entertaining but too light in plot to be considered a deep read. And with so many characters the average reader can feel a bit lost that they haven't read the rest of what is obviously a series. I know I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it!!!, May 6, 2014
This is the third book in the series,and I have not laughed so much. This story has everything wolves,lions,bears and a crocodile name Ralph(LMBO)....The storyline was great I loved the chemistry between Mitchell and Sissy Mae. I would recommend this book and the author. Now to the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars fun shapeshifter romantic fantasy, November 2, 2008
This review is from: The Mane Attraction (Paperback)
Following the wedding of her brother (see THE BEAST IN HIM), werewolf Sissy Mae Smith and lion shifter Mitch Shaw slept together. However, they agree the next morning their friendship is not worth risking due to an attraction.

When he is hurt by a bounty hunter, Sissy Mae takes him to her Tennessee pack to heal and keep safe; as no one messes with a Smith especially in Smithtown. However, as the two shapeshifters struggle to stay apart, his enemies come for him as they know who he is and her Pack males, showing some guts, begin to sniff them out from a distance. Mitch is an undercover cop ready to testify in court against his former associates who want him dead for his betrayal of their code and before he can send them up the river.

Shelly Laurenston's latest Smith shapeshifter romantic fantasy stars kick butt Sissy Mae and the only known male besides perhaps her dad not afraid of her bite and bark; as it takes the heart of a lion to go one on one with her. Although readers will need a scorecard to keep track of who's who in the extended Smith world (the family reunion would fill up Titan Stadium), fans will enjoy the MANE ATTRACTION, a battle between two superheavyweights in heated love.

Harriet Klausner

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, entertaining read, December 1, 2009
This review is from: The Mane Attraction (Paperback)
This was my first Shelly Laurenston book and I was pleasantly surprised. I'll definitely be checking out more of her books! I loved the main characters as well as the supporting cast. The story was full of humor, crazy antics, mystery, drama, suspense, action and romance. Great, light hearted read! I couldn't put it down--read it almost in one sitting!

***EDIT / ADDITION***
I have now finished Laurenston's Pride series, Dragonkin series (written under GA Aiken) and read the first two Magnus Pack books. All of her Pride Stories are terrific, with my favorites being this book, The Beast in Him and The Mane Squeeze. I liked her Magnus Pack books to a lesser extent--still good but not great like the Pride Stories. I really enjoyed her Dragonkin series. Check those out if you haven't already. My favorite in that series was What a Draqon Should Know. It was hysterical! Loved the characters. Laurenston has now surpassed Lynsay Sands as my new favorite for funny paranormal romance.

If you are on the hunt for more books like this, check out my list of shapeshifter romance favorites...

(copy and paste into your browser window)

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy all the books. All of them., August 13, 2014
I swear I love this woman more with each book I read. I'm kind of obsessed with this series, which is a good thing I found it so late. I'll be reading this one and all her others.

I guess there should be a little something in this review about the book itself, huh? Mitch and Sissy are great together. Their relationship kind of reminds me of The relationship between The Beast and Gwenvael the Handsome (Dragon Kin series by G A Aiken) but where B&G were politically savvy in their shit-starting, Mitch and Sissy don't mind starting it with anyone and everyone. I'm a little bit country so Sissy and her Tennessee family (I've never been) speak to my little country heart. Mitch is the adorably hot guy that you can't help but love. Don't worry, he expects no less because he's amazing. He'll tell you that himself. As always there are plenty of laughs, which is why I'll keep tossing this woman my money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious and sexy, April 2, 2014
I loved this story! Ms. Laurenston is able to bring adult romance (i.e., sex ... great sex without being redundant) and humor together to make this a keeper in my library! The plot is great, the story holds your interest, and at the same time, makes you laugh out loud (much to the annoyance of my TV watching family). I love the irreverence to the mighty "King of the Jungle"! This series is one I have read multiple times.

The Mane Attraction
The Mane Attraction by Shelly Laurenston (Paperback - October 28, 2008)
Used & New from: $0.01