Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Mansion
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 27, 2011
This book was recommended to me after a Christmas devotional by President Monson. After reading it, and understanding one of the reasons that this book was talked about, I have to say that I really enjoyed the message. It is one of forgetting oneself and focusing on the needs of others, which is something that is often forgotten in this world. It is a simple book, short, and a lot of life's meanings can be found from this.
on November 20, 2011
I read "The Mansion" for the first time last year. I immediately felt inspired by the story and wished I had read it years ago. To see that someone had illustrated the story was so exciting. I bought the book as soon as I saw it. The illustrations add to the story and make it so adult and child alike can appreciate the message given. This will be a book I will read yearly at Christmas time.
on June 12, 1999
I inherited this book 13 years ago. Since that time, I have incorporated it into my thinking on a daily basis. The significant point of the story is "What Counts, That which is truly given; Only that good that is done for the love of doing it; Only those plans in which the wellfare of others is the master thought; Only those labors in which the sacrifice was greater than the reward. And only those gifts in which the giver forgets himself" This insight has enabled me to find comfort over my daily bread.
on February 1, 2004
If every boy and every girl in the world were to grow into maturity believing in, and practising, the ideals set forward in this story, much of sorrow would disappear; violence, civil disorder, and war would be almost impossible, and a new era would have come. The story sets forth nothing new; it emphasizes century-old ideals of kindliness, sympathy, and self-sacrifice.
on December 21, 2010
Meandering with others to their heavenly mansions, the main character realizes wealth is in service to others. Much like Eboinezer Scrooge, he discovers God and changes his ways. In a very few pages (10?) , I found myself conducting a self-assessment and mental transformation. At age 54, I reflected the principal absorption was needed 30 years ago. This from me, an avid Dickens fan (Scrooge each Christmas, preceeded by Barnaby, then Tale then Oliver Twist to Scrooge). Truly the most important novel for me ever written. The 18 pages are available for free at books for free.com.
on December 14, 2011
I read this book for the first time this year, after hearing the story told at a holiday gathering. Thanks be to Henry Van Dyke for urging us to be good for goodness sake and not for the praise of others. I loved the book and this anniversary edition in particular so much in fact, we gave it to each of our six grown children for a pre-Christmas family gift this year - a great holiday read for young and old.
on February 10, 2015
I absolutely loved this short story. The lessons it teaches about true Christianity are vibrant and clear. It is slightly reminiscent of "A Christmas Carol", but it differs also in powerful ways. The main character believes he is a good Christian, and feels that he has done much good in the world. He has done much good, but all of it has been calculated to be of benefit to him in this life. He learns through a beautiful Christmas Eve experience that you can receive your rewards on earth, or in heaven, but not in both places.
on December 24, 2015
This is my second time reading "The Mansion" and I'm thinking of making it a holiday tradition. It is a wonderful short story about the true spirit of giving. Definitely a must read!

What counts in heaven is what's truly given during our time on earth. "Lay not up for yourself treasures upon earth. ... But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven." —Matthew 6:19-21
on December 23, 2013
I heard President Thomas S Monsen, the president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, say that he reads this book every year at Christmas time. That was a good reason for me to read it.

Although fictional, it is about a man who is a terrestrial type person. Honest, honorable, respected, and wealthy. He does good in the world and donates to charities, but all with the purpose of being respected, getting his name out there which helps his businesses, and so forth. He has a dream or out of body experience where he learns what is really important to God and one's soul in the here-after. A good reminder of what being Christ-like is all about.

Reads quick and isn't that many pages. We read it to our kids 11 and 14. They listened and liked it. Gave us a good opportunity to have a discussion about what is important to our souls and why, how we can do good without getting notice or praise of the world. We bought a couple more to give away to others. A good read and I highly recommend it.
on January 1, 2015
This is the story of a very rich man who has done a lot of good in the world as long as it brings him recognition and more wealth. He imagines he does and goes to Heaven and when he finds is Mansion he is very surprised by what he sees. The story is based on a statement by Jesus Christ that he will prepare Mansions for his followers in the world to come. I like this format and the story can be read in less than 30 minutes.