4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad. (3.5 actually)
Published 22 months ago by Lily

3.0 out of 5 stars Cradle for Life!
I rarely bad-mouth a Cradle cd. Even when I hear a stinker, it eventually grows on me. This one started off with a bang. However, there is too much noise in between the better-crafted tracks.
Published 20 months ago by Christopher L. Brunner

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad. (3.5 actually), October 30, 2012
This review is from: The Manticore & Other Horrors (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
This certainly isn't their best album and this doesn't really have a "Principle of Evil Made Flesh" vibe like Paul Allender claims, but it is a decent effort and a fun listen. It doesn't have the same atmospheric qualities that the older albums do of course, but it's certainly better than the last three records. I'd but it on the same level as "Nymphetamine" or "Damnation and a Day", where it isn't necessarily great but it's fun. If you hate this band, this certainly will not change your mind and I would stay away from it. If you like them, it's worth adding to your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer Brilliance and evolution of sound should be appreciated!, November 2, 2012
This review is from: The Manticore & Other Horrors (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
First of all, people should stop expecting bands to go back to their early sounds all the time. Get real!!! CoF can probably never re-create "Principles of evil made flesh" or "Dusk and her embrace". Every band's music music evolves and sometimes compromises need to be made and musical directions need to be shifted a bit to prevent redundancy. Megadeth can never re-create 'Rust in peace' but 'Endgame' was nevertheless equally powerful yet contemporary for the times. Similarly, CoF's deviation from their trademark sound since Nymphetamine is certainly not seen in this album. This is more like their early stuff, although more contemporary, as I would like to call it. I feel this a landmark album for CoF and would be a reference for good black metal records in the future. There is definitely a lot of variety in the album, starting and ending with instrumentals (special mention about Sinfonia, which is awesome!). While 'Illicitus, Manticore, frost on her pillow, huge onyx wings reflect classic CoF, tracks like For your vulgar delectation and succumb to this are more mainstream. I respect their experimentation with their sound, while still staying heavy. This is the secret of success for this band that has survived through the decades to become the biggest band next to Maiden to come out of UK. Personally, I feel CoF is only going to get better. THE HORROR WILL LIVE ON!!

5.0 out of 5 stars classic Filth, December 31, 2012
This review is from: The Manticore & Other Horrors (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
If you are a Filth fan or an avid collector I highly recommend this new CD. To me it sounds more like their old music and I am a huge fan of that. A very good buy if you just like Filth.

4.0 out of 5 stars A new Era of Filth has arrived., August 14, 2013
This review is from: The Manticore & Other Horrors (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
What all these reviews seem to miss, is the HUGE glaring difference in how Dani sings on this album, vs previous albums. This is not a copy of their last two releases, this is step into new territory.

We should of all saw this coming, but I for one, didn't & I'm happy, cause it blew me away. Dani has pushed himself, to me, he has a sort of Iron Maiden feel when he using his more singing voice vs his demonic (which he still does wonderfully). It's amazing. I don't understand how any real COF fan could hate this, they ought to be ashamed, but we'll give em a break & let come to their sense, hopefully aural.

I've only mentioned how awesome Dani sounds on this album, so now it's time to say that the music is just as amazing. This album should put Cradle at an even higher place in the world of metal, as they didn't sacrifice anything that made them who they are. They didn't sell out. They pushed themselves to write an album that doesn't sound identical to anything they've done yet, which is awesome. Great job COF.

4.0 out of 5 stars More of the Same...., November 1, 2012
This review is from: The Manticore & Other Horrors (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
Yes, this is Cradle, and that is a good thing. After ten studio recordings they have managed not to change from what they feel comfortable doing. This is what we have come to expect from this band; more of the same relentless, horror themed metal. Some may complain that Cradle has not top early recordings or that the band just can't grow. That is not why people are fans of them. Fans want this and they are happy to produce the same type of songs we expect. If you're a fan you will buy this regardless, if you're not then you are missing a great soundtrack to horror. Bottom line, this is their best effort in a while and a worth a listen.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cradle for Life!, January 22, 2013
Christopher L. Brunner (fort bragg, NC United States) - See all my reviews
The Abhorrent is excellent. It reminds me of Lilith Immaculate. Song three five and six are equally as good. The rest is hit and miss. The pace is very similar to Darkly, Darkly, Venus … though the guitar playing is a bit more intense.
I would like it to grow on me, but after a month or so, I'm still waiting.

2.0 out of 5 stars Less melodies, December 8, 2012
This review is from: The Manticore & Other Horrors (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
A harder outing than recent albums and without a lot of the male/female harmonies which I enjoy in their music. Nothing wrong with perusing new directions by artists only that this direction was not to my liking.

3.0 out of 5 stars Is it the studios fault?, January 22, 2013
I am not going to totally down this. I give it three stars on the account of the music itself and some of the songs but is it me or is the music as awesome as it is drowning Dani's voice? You can really tell on the song the Abhorrent. I have been a cradle fan for years. I am still a fan. But I noticed the production was like this on the new Dimmu Borgir CD. So maybe it is Nuclear Blaatn which is a great label otherwise. Just my opinion

3.0 out of 5 stars Sounds Unfinished, January 12, 2013
This review is from: The Manticore & Other Horrors (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
I am 44 years old, and have been a fan of COF for many years. I have all of their albums. While the album is not bad at all, it sounds a bit incomplete. That is, it sounds to me that the songs could have used a bit more work - a bit more time developing them to their full potential. It almost sounds like a "rush" job in the studio. I miss the vocals we hear in Damnation and a Day or in Midian. Nevertheless, I will continue to support the band because I believe they can do better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Have not lost their touch!!!, December 3, 2012
This review is from: The Manticore & Other Horrors (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
COF have always intrigued me, and I love how they present their music. Sophisticated yet dark and sinister; the ingredients that make them incredibly unique and admirable. I have loved COF since they I heard "Born in a Burial Ground" but hadn't really truly paid attention until I heard "Her Ghost in the Fog." COF is truly a one-of-a-kind band that will influence a wide and vast genre for decades to come. This album is exactly why this band will never fail, they may have changed their sound structure a bit over the years, but they have never veered off the beaten path they have laid down. Every album from COF is a trademark of how black metal and extreme metal should sound like.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Manticore & Other Horrors (Deluxe)
The Manticore & Other Horrors (Deluxe) by Cradle Of Filth (Audio CD - 2012)
Rate and Discover Movies