Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Now SnS

Format: DVDChange

on June 18, 2013
When I heard this show was officially coming out on DVD I was psyched! My enthusiasm was tempered when it was first announced as a pricey $120 complete series version but now that I see it will be made available by season, those of us that are cost conscious can whet our appetite on this classic as well. To me the first season is essential 50's sitcom TV. First we have the 4 main characters, Dwayne Hickman as Dobie, Frank "I'm gonna kill that boy" Faylen and Florida Friebus, as his parents and the irrepressible Maynard G. Krebs as portrayed by Bob Denver. This season also contains nearly all of the Tuesday Weld appearances as Dobies favorite love interest, Thalia Menninger(all but her single episode appearances in seasons 3 and 4) as well as Warren Beatty's appearances as Milton Armitage , introductions to Sheila James as Zelda Gilroy, Steven Franken as Chatsworth Osborne Jr., Doris Packer (playing both Milton and Chattsworth's mom)as well as guest appearances by Jean Byron and William Schallert as two of Dobies main teachers(Later of Patty Duke parents fame) Yvonne "Bat Girl" Craig, Darryl Hickman, as Dobie's brother, Mel Blanc, Burt Mustin, Charles Lane, and many other character actors of the day! I may eventually end up with all 4 seasons but its much appreciated that there is now an option for individual seasons as well!
2222 comments31 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I remember watching this when I was a kid --- I'm 64 --- had quite the crush on Tuesday Weld...
I believe that she made a guest appearance on THE FLINTSTONES as the character "Wednesday Tuesday".
Well, anyway, I think that I'll own THIS first season until the entire series is within MY modest
budget.

Tuesday Weld is a LOVELY seventy-years-old!
___________________
HIGHLY recommended!
________________________________________________________________________________

UPDATE (23 July): I got a one-day deal on the entire four season 21 disc set, cancelled this, and will
shortly have every episode... before I turn 65, sometime AFTER this pre-order's street date. Okay?
55 comments13 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 10, 2013
Im 33 years young so i wasnt around when it was on. But in the late 80s it cameon nick at night amd used to watch it with my dad:)(rip dad love u forever ) anyway he said u should watch this its great. And we did. I loved it. Havwnt seen it in over 20 years. I cant wait to OWN SEASON 1 ON DVD.
on July 16, 2013
First let me say, anything and I mean anything with Bob Denver get's 5 stars in my book. But, more importantly, this is where BD got his start. This is where he became the man who would become Gilligan, etc. Unfortunately he would become typecast after GI, but that's for another review. I do not yet own this show, but I will after it comes out. This is a must for any dvd collection, and any dvd collector of comedy at it's best. Unfortunately this show did not do much for it's star Dwayne Hickman, but it did a lot for Bob Denver or should I say Maynard G. Crebbs?

Tell em' you read another review by...
Ralph J. Fitcher.
11 comment9 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2014
I seem to laugh a lot watching this show. It is one of those shows that proves that older shows were better than what we have today.
on May 21, 2014
THANK YOU Shout Factory. I've waited years for this classic t.v. series to finally be released on DVD. The picture and sound quality are great, considering the technology at the time it was originally produced. This show is a classic that rates right up there with the old Jimmy Stewart and Fred MacMurray movies. The younger generations may not appreciate this series, but that will be their loss.
on December 15, 2013
Wow this is a terrific show. If you remember watching it, you will be overjoyed to see Dobie and the gang once more.
If you have never seen it, you are in for a huge treat. Dobie, Maynard, Thalia, Zelda, et al. I always loved Dobie's long suffering dad. In this era of reality nightmare tv, Dobie still rules for me!
on September 4, 2013
Fun series and great cast. Early Warren Beatty, Tuesday Weld, Ron Howard, Don Knotts, etc. Dwayne Hickman was 26, Warren Beatty was 24, Tuesday Weld was 16...
on October 2, 2013
I watched these shows when I was a kid and have not seen much of them since. Enjoying them much more than I thought I would. The quality for picture and sound is very good, maybe four stars. But I have to go with five stars because Dobie and his co-stars are so good. Especially Maynard before he became Gilligan. They just don't make them like this anymore. It beats any sitcom that is on TV today.
on March 5, 2015
Never got to see this show as a kid, but heard so much about it. After watching all of Season One, I can see why it has such a following. Great acting, writing. comedy and slapstick. Everyone delivers their lines with conviction, though there is a surreal feeling to many of the episodes. One minute Dobie is telling the audience how his dad will be okay with a request for date money- the next moment the screen is filled with Mr. Gillis' screaming face. Comedy gold.

Maynard G Krebs is Bob Denver's finest hour, everyone's favorite beatnik cringing in horror whenever someone mentions such commitment- heavy words as "marriage or "work". Tuesday Weld is effective as Dobie's hopeless love interest. But it is Zelda who provides many of the best performances. Positive that she and Dobie are destined for marriage, she calls his parents Mother Gillis" and "Father Gillis". And then there's the long-suffering Mr. Gillis, whose rants and histrionics put Archie Bunker to shame.

The reason for the four stars is due to the uneven quality of the episodes. While "The Chicken from Outer Space" and "Here Comes the Groom" are classic comedy, about a third of the episodes are like, dudsville, man. But, like Maynard's torn t-shirts and scummy jeans, maybe they'll like, grow on me...