5.0 out of 5 stars Harmon's new book is a visual and literary feast!
Published on October 15, 2009 by Christine A. Stickler

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing for This Reader, But Tastes Differ
For me, this wasn't the knockout I expected, from the subject matter and from the glowing reviews. It was interesting and amusing, and in instances quite lovely. It was not, however, as fascinating as I had hoped; nor is it a book that I will return to over and over. Since I am a map freak more than an art freak, the problem may be me -- I really loved "Strange...
Published 7 months ago by Anne Mills

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Harmon's new book is a visual and literary feast!, October 15, 2009
As a great fan of Katherine Harmon's previous book: You are Here: Personal Geographies and Other Maps of the Imagination, I looked forward to the release of this second book with a focus on maps. I doubted that I could be as taken with it as I was with her first but in fact believe that she has surpassed herself in creating a rich and layered exploration of maps as seen through the lens and reflections of artists. I love how she has divided the book into sections such as Conflict and Sorrow, Personal Terrain, Global Reckoning and Inner Visions which allow for an imaginative journey through the book.
The design and layout by Jane Jeszeck is stellar; clear and uncluttered allowing each image to have its showing.
You most definitely do not need to be a "map person" to love and appreciate this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious Stuff, October 15, 2009
I find myself looking through this book again and again, always finding new things. The choice of artworks is spectacular, the production values are gorgeous, and the commentary and essays are interesting, illuminating, and fun to read. I can't even imagine the amount of work that went into putting this book together (look inside). I'm just delighted that she did all that work so we can enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Map As Art, February 20, 2011
This review is from: The Map as Art: Contemporary Artists Explore Cartography (Paperback)
The Map As Art: Contemporary Artists Explore Cartography
This book provides an excellent overview of artists who have explored cartography. The introduction discusses the development of this field and considers the theoretical implications of this. There is a strong leaning towards more political pieces in this book.Really good book though!

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding survey packed with 360 color illustrations, December 17, 2009
THE MAP AS ART: CONTEMPORARY ARTISTS EXPLORE CARTOGRAPHY is an outstanding survey recommended not just for art libraries but for those involved in geography and international culture. It provides a survey of artists' map expressions, showing how artistic cartography ultimately creates a world free of geographic boundaries. Map-related visions by some 160 modern artists make for an outstanding survey packed with 360 color illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best art book of the year!, December 27, 2009
Art Mama (Lakeland, MN) - See all my reviews
This is wonderful exploration of maps in different mediums and genres. Harmon's pages intermingle both well-known and emerging artists, creating an interesting and exciting collage of photos. This book offers something for everyone - my personal favorite is page 201.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book of Alternate Maps, November 21, 2012
Purchased this book from another source, but even so, I HIGHLY recommend it. The creativity in this book is extraordinary and I return to it time and time again to generate ideas on materials, subject matter and style. Order this book: you will NOT be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential -- if you're into maps, February 27, 2012
This book is an absolute joy. If you're into maps, and art, waste no time. This book features over 300 works from a variety of artists and includes essays by art historian Gayle Clemans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maps + Art = :), February 11, 2012
If you love art & maps - this book is for you. It is organized a little weird but if you can get passed that, it is worth it! The art work in this book is just an amazing collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars the map art art, April 8, 2011
I am a fiber artist and a teacher. I really enjoyed the creative possibilities this book generaged for me and my students to consider. Maps will never be the same for me again, either in concept or design.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, July 20, 2010
My wife loves maps and I got this for her birthday. We have discovered many new artists through this book and highly recommend it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Map as Art: Contemporary Artists Explore Cartography
The Map as Art: Contemporary Artists Explore Cartography by Katharine Harmon (Paperback - September 1, 2010)
$29.95 $19.26