Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on December 29, 2014
Great book on content marketing. I work in marketing and this blueprint really gave a lay of the land or standard on what the service is worth. It broke down what others are paying or charging for it and exactly what services are being fulfilled and how to fulfill them via hiring, outsourcing, etc. Great read! I even was able to contact the author and have a personal conversation.
on March 6, 2012
I saw a review of this book in a Hubspot email and was intrigued. I have been in advertising for 20 years and had often thought of starting a small advertising agency, but couldn't wrap my mind around how to make it all work. I ordered The Marketing Agency Blueprint on my Nook and read it cover to cover in one day. I was so excited by the plan that Paul Roetzer laid out in this book that I stopped half way through and found him on Google + to tell him about it. This book perfectly outlined step by step how to set up a profitable advertising agency business model. It was finally perfectly clear how I could make it work. Fast forward 30 days, I have quit my job, I have a business partner, a business plan (thanks to the Marketing Agency Blueprint) and we've signed our first few clients to long term monthly retainers. If you are thinking of starting your own agency, do yourself a favor and get this book!!
on May 12, 2013
I was looking for a book that could guide me through the process of growing our search marketing agency and I found that and more in The Marketing Agency Blueprint. Right from the start Paul Roetzer provides actionable advice, real world examples and I found myself using concepts immediately.

This book is a must have for anyone building or thinking of building a digital marketing agency of any kind. I've found few business books so well tuned to my questions and that delivered so early and so often throughout.

As for the negative comments about the references to HubSpot, they are not at all intrusive and are referenced at times when they seemed appropriate and consistent with the rest of the guidance in the book. I didn't find that they detracted at all from the overall message of the book.
on September 28, 2012
The Marketing Agency Blueprint is not for everyone. In fact, there is a pretty narrow few people who will find it useful. If you're just starting out, looking for a way to break into a new market, or develop the next big thing, this isn't the book for you. However, if you're the owner of a small agency looking to expand, compete, and make an impact for your clients--this book is worth its weight in gold.

Specifically, making the jump from a micro-agency of one or two people to a small agency of 10 or more is nothing short of terrifying for an owner. The Marketing Agency Blueprint does a fantastic job of discussing some of the key issues many creative personalities can overlook from pricing to team-building, workflow to financing. Author Paul Roetzer does a great job laying out the operational ideas in addition to the marketing insight.

While not for everyone in a creative workspace, The Marketing Agency Blueprint is fantastic for those small agencies looking to do differently, do it better, and grow smart.
on May 7, 2013
The Marketing Agency Blueprint is a fantastic resource and guide to people who want to build a professional digital marketing agency which will survive and thrive in a rapidly changing future.
A few reviews for this book complain that it doesn't have enough practical steps for setting up a marketing agency. I agree that this isn't a step by step manual, but I think Paul offers something much more valuable.
He addresses the DNA of the modern marketing agency - and helps you look at the fundamentals of culture, systems and strategy to build a marketing-leading marketing agency. Actually, a lot of the book would be highly valuable to anyone wanting to build an agile and successful business in the new digital economy.

One of the strengths of the book is the way Paul outlines the new digital marketing ecosystem. Just understanding where your business fits in this and how you can leverage this is worth the price of the book I believe.

Paul does place plenty of emphasis on Hubspot as an important partner in him growing his agency, which I think is honest and natural - to me the take-home message from this is to choose the right agency partners - whether it is Hubspot, their competitors, or others in the ecosystem. Paul helps you see who your natural partners are and the prospects for your agency's growth are impacted by your position in the marketing ecosystem.

I particularly valued Paul's emphasis on building a scale-able and agile SaaS and HR systems - this is an area I've found highly time consuming and it is hard to get right.

Paul shares advice in this area but isn't prescriptive or rigid - he tells you the fundamentals with some detail on how to achieve them.

Paul's book succinctly addresses they key issues I've grappled with when building my agency Influential Digital. Further, the ideas in this book about organizational culture, client service, how business is being changed by the internet and social media and other new media would be valuable for entrepreneurs and business owners from any industry.

I think this book gets the balance right between education, aspiration, inspiration and practical steps, but it is meant to be the beginnning of a journey, not your final destination.

I've also purchased the online course Paul offers which is also excellent value and has more of the resources that you need to build your agency. Personally I think Paul has got the pricing right on both products - there is terrific value in the book, but if you are wanting to build a 6 or 7 figure marketing agency then you can't expect to learn it all in a $20 book.
on June 22, 2014
I disagree with the comments that this book is an ad for HubSpot. I almost didn't order it because of those statements, but I'm so glad that I did. I haven't read anything else that offers this much guidance on starting/running an agency. At times it felt like a lot to digest, but as I connected the dots with my own experiences, the light would go on. I continue to refer back to this book and feel that it's an invaluable resource for marketing entrepreneurs. I'm not a HubSpot customer, but the references to HubSpot didn't bother me or hinder me from taking what I needed to know and applying it to my own developing firm. If you don't have a real-world mentor as you build your marketing/PR agency or firm, the content in this book can be great confirmation that you're on the right track.
on January 4, 2015
Very good book for agency owner of any size. It provide ready made, off-the -shelf- answers to the crucial questions like how to bill, internal working of an agency etc. It doesn't have blue print to start for a new idea playing in your mind.
On book- as an 18 months old, one man agency owner, I am of firm belief that new services required new approach and new institution. We can learn from the past but we can't unfold future based on past. As Authors says, Content creation service will be a major source of revenue for
hybrid agency. But in reality it is damn difficult to find a content creator who possess: skill of content creator, effectiveness of marketing communication expert,tone of a salesman and command understanding of ever changing google algorithm. And more importantly to get paying customers regularly for this kind of "builder" activity. Content creation will be a major differentiation for the agency offering to customers, as well as, agency's own success.
Moral, every agency owner needs to work out his/her offering which are sellable, scaleable and sustainable.
Paul book will help you bit, if not 100%, in achieving and maintaining that.
on January 28, 2014
I recommend this book to anyone running a marketing agency trying to move from project based revenue to retainer based revenue. Paul's insights and recommendations have helped me move away from being 99% project based to doing almost all retainer based work. My average retainer is now $36,000 per year.
on February 7, 2013
Written from experience, this book gives real insights and useful guidance.

We started a company book club specifically to review and discuss. A super helpful tool to create internal dialogue and consensus about who we are and where we are going.
on February 5, 2013
I read The Marketing Agency Blueprint not long after it was published in Nov 2011. It was just the book I needed at just the right time. My business was in its 3rd year and shifting from more of an old-school marketing/PR agency into what Roetzer calls a "hybrid agency", but I did not have a word for what we were becoming. From what was feeling like a solitary path, I found company in the book, a lantern to light my way, and Paul Roetzer's examples to be inspirations. It is the perfect read if you are currently a marketing or PR professional in an agency or solo consultancy. Agencies can learn how to become more relevant and successful in today's demanding digital environment. Solo consultants can ignore the advice on staff management and absorb the details on billing. purpose, commitment to clients and most importantly, the shift to inbound marketing which is enveloping the world of marketing today. Five stars and thumbs up.