Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

on July 4, 2009
My first Honore de Balzac read, fascinating tale in flamboyant prose rings true in 2009 as it did three hundred years ago. Tale of a mediocre student whose family money allows him a life of indolence and excess. I loved the way he and his fiance offered studied indifference during the financial negotiations of the marriage. His mother-in-law's avarice and need to control and the groom's idiocy are so perfect and so very sad. I wanted the story to go on, a sequel perhaps. I shall read more of de Balzac and perhaps will find one.
on March 5, 2012
A secretly impoverished French nobleman decides to marry a secretly impoverished proud beauty and her solicitor tries to get the nobleman to agree to a marriage contract without seeing any money from it.

I don't like golddigger stories whether male or female, and in this case both parties were out for the money (nor was the story interesting or humorous) so I quit.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 6, 2014
I found it very boring.I kept waiting for something to happen to make it interesting .I did not like the
Book.