5.0 out of 5 stars charming debut for McFalls
Published on May 10, 2005 by Deborah MacGillivray

3.0 out of 5 stars A drama indeed
Published on November 16, 2012 by Lfmiller

5.0 out of 5 stars charming debut for McFalls, May 10, 2005
An enchanting Regency for first time writer Dorothy McFalls. I have seen a review slashing at this book, and frankly, all reviewers/readers need to take a deep breath and step back. All writers are first time writers. It's not an easy process, and if you cannot do it yourself, then you need to have compassion for those brave enough to achieve this amazing feet. Only one in maybe one hundred thousand books ever see print. So celebrate another writer who got that golden ring. McFalls has a wonderfully fresh voice, which quickly pulled me into the story. She has a good sense at storytelling; she laces it with a good sense of humour and produces a very enjoyable tale! As for any tiny glitches, lighten up, and enjoy this fun tale.
Viscount Radford Evers was injured at Waterloo when his horse fell upon him, leaving his leg crippled. Currently in Bath taking the waters, hoping it will help his bad limp, he is a foul mood despite the teasing of his best friend Lord Nathan Wynter, who is determined not to let his friend wallow in his fit of self-pity. This day, Radford felt more than self-loathing - he felt trapped. His mother arrived the night previous and is pushing Radford to find a bride. Whether to actually zero in on finding a wife or just to forestall mother dearest, Radford hits upon the idea of making a list of all the requirements of the perfect wife for him.
Humble tenant of Viscount Radford Evers, May Sheffers intercepted the eviction notice in the morning mail before her ailing Aunt Winnie saw it. May's parents has been off awandering, as they are apt to do, and her uncle is trying to have them declared dead. This has caused a shortage in their funds, one May hopes is temporary. May has petitioned Mr. Bannor, Evers Man of Affairs for a stay, trying to show the money flow should be solved soon, but the odious little man is deaf as well as heartless. So when May learns Evers is in Bath taking the waters for his health, she is forced to outrageous action. With her friend Lady Iona Newbury in tow, May beards the elusive Viscount in his lair just as he is finished with his marriage list.
Of course, humble May - a follower of Mary Wollstonecraft and a bluestocking all the way up to her eyebrows - has none of the qualities the haughty Viscount has just put to paper...but that will not stop cupid from making opposites fall.
McFalls writing instantly puts you into the scene. She has a good feel for the period, strong, engaging characters, and so if there are a tiny slip here or there one skims over them. I really wouldn't have noticed them hadn't I seen another review demanding she be taken to the pillory for them. I was too in to the heartwarming tale to care. McFalls will obviously pen more tales. And I for one am looking forward to watching her talent and craft grow.

5.0 out of 5 stars delightful romance!, August 26, 2012
This review is from: The Marriage List: full-length sweet historical romance (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book. The heroine is very likeable, and after trials finds
happiness. The book was inexpensive enough that I bought it based on the
blurb with out reading the reviews. I went to to buy the some other books by
McFalls: "The Marriage List" is the first McFalls' novel I have read and I will enjoy reading
more of her work.

I had no intention of writing a review, but saw the relatively low score for the book.
After reading the reviews, I found a number very negative,
which given the excellent storytelling in this book, was surprising.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Regency - Fresh New Voice!, July 25, 2005
M. Rondeau (West Springfield, MA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Viscount Radford Evers in surviving the battle at Salamanca sustained a crippling injury that eventually sent him to Bath in an effort that the healing waters would help to cure him. While the waters might heal the injury to his leg, the waters, so far were doing nothing to heal the bitterness in his soul because of the injury that kept him from riding his beloved horses. Forced to walk with a limp on a foot and leg that pained him constantly, his once cherry personality was decidedly grim. His best friend, Lord Nathan Wynter, was not about to let him wallow in self-pity and on one of his unannounced visits and on a whim they decided to make a list of attributes Evers considered essential and should look for in selecting the perfect wife. It was on this particular afternoon that May Sheffers and her best friend Iona stormed their way into Evers study, and Radford's life would never be the same. Other than good broad hips [perfect for child-bearing] May Sheffers held none of the attributes he desired in a mate.

May's parents had left her in the care of her Aunt Winnie and gone off to seek their fortune and adventure in exotic places. After not having been heard from for several years, May's uncle, a controlling Earl, had petitioned to have her parents declared dead, thereby as head of the household, gaining control of and cutting off May's funds. Since this had happened, the rent on May and Aunt Winnie's cottage in Bath had not been paid and Ever's man of affairs had sent an eviction notice. May needed to convince Evers to intervene in stopping the eviction and give her time to sort out the financial tangle. May's patience at Radford's haughty attitude towards her and Iona was too much to bear and she abruptly took her leave, hoping never to lay eyes on the handsome insufferable Viscount again. Unfortunately, it would seem fate was not about to honor her wishes, as the next few weeks would have them bumping (literally) into one another time and again. For Radford, he would soon learn that in matters of the heart - his list of the perfect woman didn't even come close to the yearnings of his heart!

*** For a debut I must say I was delighted with this new authors effort. I found her writing fresh, and her lead characters fully developed with their personalities very well crafted. Radford's metamorphous into a caring individual as he came to cherish May, first as a friend, then soul-mate was very lovely indeed. The story itself was heart-warming with a wonderful plot and a trickle of suspense concerning the underlying reasons behind her odious uncle's interference in her life. The secondary characters were also all strongly laid out and motivationally insightful. This was a fine effort on the part of this author and I highly applaud it this book and sincerely recommend it to any and all, looking for a very entertaining regency read.

4.0 out of 5 stars an emotionally engaging read, May 25, 2005
tregatt (Portland, Oregon) - See all my reviews
Still recovering from injuries from the Battle of Salamanca, Viscount Evers has decided to succumb to parental pressure and marry. Even though he has a badly injured leg and he may always walk with a limp, Evers is still a matrimonial prize. And because he's still angry and bitter about his injuries, and because he has no real interest in exerting himself too much in order to find a wife, Evers makes a list of all the qualities he wants his future wife to have: good birth, respectable dowry, beauty, youth and a pliable nature. All the qualities that the lovely Lady Lillian Newberry possesses and non of which May Sheffers, a tenant of his that is being evicted for non payment of rents possesses. And yet Evers finds himself being unexpectedly drawn to the intelligent but dowdy young lady, making a mockery of his marriage list...

"The Marriage List," Dorothy McFalls, debut novel has more strengths than weaknesses. It is a very well written novel (though one of the previous reviewer's complaints about too modern language and phrases is true), with a nicely drawn cast of characters and a good plot that is competently and powerfully executed. And if you're looking for an emotionally engaging read with a strong character portrayal of the heroine, then you're bound to enjoy "The Marriage List." It's been a while since I've read such a poignant novel -- Dorothy McFalls did and excellent job of making me feel May's panic, hopelessness and her pain. I also thought that the author did a rather good job of making us see how confused Evers felt about his unexpected feelings for May, and how torn he was between doing the expected thing of courting the exceptional Lady Lillian and wanting to spend more time with May. I just wished that the author had 1) made a better case of making us see from the very first chapter, what it was about May that drew Evers to her from the very beginning (what he saw in her later, and how he grew to appreciate her, I think was very well documented); 2) had thought of a better way to get rid of the villains of the novel. I won't go into it because this will mean plot spoilers, but May's Aunt Winnie's sudden decision to finally act and for not having acted sooner seemed a little weak to me! And 3) the rushed ending where everything ends well and all loose ends are tied up -- after the emotional penultimate chapter, this last chapter was a bit of a letdown. On the whole though, I was pleased that I bought "The Marriage List," and will be looking out for Dorothy McFalls future books.

3.0 out of 5 stars A drama indeed, November 16, 2012
This story is long and painstakingly written, with so little hope for the principals you want to put them out of their miseries. The men are callous villains, manipulating the lives of the ladies. The ladies are frustrated individuals, vacillating between desperate grasps for happiness and self-sacrificial determination to throw over all happiness so others might be happier. The only humor in the piece is the horse. If you can make it through the first half of the book, you may well like the second half.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Marriage List - A delightful, fresh love story., May 23, 2005
The Marriage List was a quick read that kept me turning pages from start to finish.

The author captured the essence of the age without loading up the prose with gratuitous period facts with little bearing on the story. While most Regency's are set in London, these characters visit Bath and their daily lives reflect the passtimes of the period. The love story was delightful and fresh. I highly recommend the Marriage List to lovers of Regency Romance everywhere.

Bonnie Joyner.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed., January 27, 2013
Thought this would be great because of other reviews but couldn't believe how awful the hero was- self obsessed, stupid and childish with no redeeming sense of humour, charm or kindness at all. The heroine seemed to have promise, but ended up a pathetic, abused victim.
Although it all started out o.k., nothing made much sense, and it all fell into a heap of unpleasant rather misogynistic melodrama pretty quickly.
Certainly not a "sweet" historical romance as advertised.
Just a warning- if you like Joanna Bourne, Eloisa James and Julia Quinn you will not like this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Little Romance, November 10, 2012
This was a sweet little romance. It had a lot going on at once. I personally don't like stories with multiple plots. I prefer to concentrate on the development of the relationship of the principle characters. By my calculations there was at least 4 different plots going on. There was no sex in this story, just a few kisses. It was free when I downloaded it and I am glad as I don't think I would pay to read this story.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dear amazon.com - Please give us a 0 stars option ......, June 25, 2005
Susan Smith (A small rural village in the English Midlands) - See all my reviews
Please, dear readers, don't waste your money. I had a go with this because I usually agree with the previous reviewers. On this occasion, I wonder if we all read the same book. I can't finish it. It was so very, very awful that it should come with a health warning.

I adore Regency fiction but if this is the best Signet can do these days then I guess I will be spending the next couple of years trawling through the keepers I have from some of the better writers in the genre.

This book is appalling bad; the quality of the prose is utterly dire and, to demonstrate this, I have marked a number of examples:

"Since the titled gentry (excuse me, gentry were/are NOT titled; aristocrats have titles) were scarce in Bath this year, the most fashionable choosing to follow The Prinny to Brighton ........" How did this get past the writer's editor? If you can't get the Prince Regent's nickname of "Prinny" right, what's the point???

"His catlike grin was smeared with satisfaction as he supported Lady Lillian's weaving pose." ????????????? Is Lillian hunched over a loom? How does one smear a grin? I guess I'll have to ask my cat.

"The quelling glance she sent his way could have burned the oriental paper off his parlor walls." A mixed metaphor that completely defeats me. (Perhaps I should not have invested in a wallpaper steamer - next time I'll just give the walls a quelling glance before I hang new paper.)

"He smiled like a cat that had just tipped over the flour jar". No comment - the author's words say it all. Could you fall in love with this guy - she's describing the hero!!

"The fastest way to get them moving again .... was to offer to start the process of heating tea." The most inane, incorrect, awkward description of brewing or making tea I have ever read!

"An intricately pressed cravat cascaded from his neck." Sorry, I thought cravats (or neck cloths) were intricately tied. Words are failing me again .........

Oh botheration. Surely the foregoing ought to give a good idea why I gave up on page 95. What more can I possibly say? The plot was contrived, the descriptions amiss. Our heroine lives in a "cottage" in Sydney Gardens in Bath. The author could have seen what Sydney Gardens looked like by looking at the Bath Tourist Office website. Golden bath stone Georgian townhouses, for goodness sake. They are still there today.

I am now telling myself to stop writing. My mother used to tell me if I could not say something nice about someone, I should say nothing. But, dear reader, if you do look at this review, please take it as my sincere advice not to waste your precious time and money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply very engaging!!!!, February 24, 2013
MPK (Texas, USA) - See all my reviews
Well defined characters. The books moves along at a good pace, is well written with no flaws. Each character is consistent throughout: such a pleasure to follow the story line and just be charmed. Regency novels authors often seem to feel the need to pepper their books with the same sexual "initiation" scenes (99% repetitive). An author who is original enough to skip the usual and rely on the strength of her creative writing: a pleasant surprise. If you want a well written regency romance with characters you can relate to and several that make you feel good about fellow humans: this is a book for you. If you are only looking for the usual steamy portion to compensate for average writing, there are a dime a dozen you might enjoy more.