5.0 out of 5 stars excellent cookbook
A really great cookbook--not too complicated, but not dumbed down. A decent variety for an MS book None of the recipes are TOO exotic, but foods from a variety of cultures are here. Granted it's mostly American/European, but there's a fair number of Latin and Asian foods and a bit of others as well.

If anything, I'd like to see more in the Meats chapter...
Published on September 15, 2007 by Phil

3.0 out of 5 stars Recipes available online
Published on January 24, 2011 by Extensive Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent cookbook, September 15, 2007
This review is from: The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook: The Original Classics (Hardcover)

If anything, I'd like to see more in the Meats chapter. Poultry chapter, breakfast chapter, and all the baking chapters are particularly strong. Some nice hints here and there--like how to make a paper clip into a cherry pitter.

NOT a comprehensive cookbook--don't think this will replace your JOY of COOKING book! But, this is my new GO-TO for cooking for company, or a bit more fancy weekday meal.

One interesting thing about this and Great Food Fast is that you see a lot of the graduated/advanced versions of simple dishes from GFF in MSLC! Examples: tortilla pie and pork tenderloin with mustard sauce are represented in both, with a longer ingredient list in this book. The tortilla pie gets cornmeal crusted chicken and other stuff added, and the sauce for the pork is more sophisticated--and includes blackberries! Blackberries and dijon are an EXCELLEND combo, BTW. So, I suppose this is a good book to graduate to if you're a beginner and are ready to move past simpler stuff.

I consider myself a fairly advanced HOME cook, and though there's not much in this book that stretches my abilities, it's a welcome addition to my large collection--I just think when you do something Martha's way, you're doing it in a correct, classy way! (I say that because I love her baking handbook)

I recommend this book highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice!, November 18, 2007
I can't believe not many others have reviewed this really wonderful cookbook. So much thought and energy are placed into anything Martha does, either by Martha herself or by her fabulous staff that one can always be assured of excellent results. This compendium is no different. My only small point of contention is that there could have been more photos, a common complaint for me. I can never have enough photos. After trying several recipes and eagerly wanting to try many more I can give this cookbook a happy and sincere recommendation! You will be pleased.

3.0 out of 5 stars Recipes available online, January 24, 2011
I wanted to preview this cookbook before I considered purchasing it, so I checked it out of my local library. I saw many recipes I wished to try, so I went online to Martha Stewart's website and discovered that ALL the recipes I searched for were on her website for free. So if you want to try before you buy, visit marthastewart.com, click on the "Food" tab at the top of the page, and then on the"recipe finder" tab on the left hand side of the page.

This may also eliminate some of the frustrations mentioned by other reviewers--a cookbook with print "in the ditch" and the confusion of the multi-volume index.

5.0 out of 5 stars Queen of the Kitchen, January 25, 2013
J. Cable (Sarasota, FL) - See all my reviews
Martha knows cooking. What else needs to be said.
My wife swears by all of her books and products. Good value for the price

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Martha!, December 2, 2012
I have the blue Modern Classics book and finally purchased this as I was sick of the index listing recipes from this book in it as well as it's own. Martha never disappoints and this book lives up to that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Add to my collection!, September 27, 2012
Great book for home cooked meals and hoilday dinners. I brought the blue edition at a "Big Lots" kind of store and it was only $5.99 and when I seen they didn't have this edition I was a little upset they didn't have the other for the same price. So I looked everywhere on the Internet and found this one only it was cheaper then what I paid for the other edition. Thanks for finishing out my MS collection. Also, it arrived a little earlier then what I thought but who is complaining?....I would buy from them again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, January 19, 2008
M. Oliveira (fall river, ma) - See all my reviews
Big Martha fan. Love the recipes in this great book. I prefer cookbooks with pictures and this book doesn't have any.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome as always, January 5, 2009
Martha does it again. A great collection of recipes and advice to allow readers to create great food. Worth the small price many times over!

5.0 out of 5 stars Martha always inspires me, February 3, 2014
Now I have the first book of her two part series for our collection. I will continue to purchase more of her books for our library

4.0 out of 5 stars loved this book, December 4, 2013
This a good book by Martha Stewart, is a recollection of all her most famous recipes, isnt a book with tons of pictures, so if you are looking at that you won't find it. Love the classic recipes... can't wait to try them!

The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook: The Original Classics
The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook: The Original Classics by Martha Stewart (Hardcover - September 4, 2007)
Used & New from: $0.99