5.0 out of 5 stars It's a cleanse, not a diet - and it works
Of all the cleansing methods I've looked at, this one seemed the easiest to do. And it turned out to be very effective. You will notice the changes right away.

There are some things that should be noted:

Published on March 11, 2005 by kewe

2.0 out of 5 stars This review is going to get a lot of disagreement!
I read a lot of the reviews on here before I purchased the book. I so badly wanted it to work. I read about everyone from Jared Leto to Beyonce to Robin Quivers losing weight using the Master Cleanser plan. I really wanted it to work. I bought all the needed stuff -- including the special salt, the laxative tea, the lemons, everything. I really, really wanted this to...
Published on June 18, 2006 by Yinzer Grrl

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a cleanse, not a diet - and it works, March 11, 2005
kewe (san francisco) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Master Cleanser: With Special Needs and Problems (Paperback)

There are some things that should be noted:

1. If you read and follow the instructions accurately, you will NOT feel hungry, but you WILL have cravings for foods that have sugars, caffeine, etc. There is a difference and some of the negative reviews were from people who cannot distinguish between the two.

2. There IS some measure of discomfort. I could literally feel the toxins leaching through and out of my body. So, do whatever you can to help the expelling though herbal laxatives and the salt cleanse.

3. This is NOT MEANT TO BE A DIET. It has a side benefit of losing weight as the author notes, but as the author also notes it's origins and applications are NOT about losing weight. This is also misunderstood by those giving negative reviews.

4. Read carefully and buy the correct maple syrup. One reviewer suggested that you would consume between 600 and 1200 calories in syrup. That is totally inaccurate - that person was probably consuming syrup with added sugar (a warning also given by the Burroughs). 100% organic grade b maple syrup has 50 calories per 2 tbl serving, which is the ratio for this cleanse. At 6-8 servings per day, that is 300-400 calories.

As with anything, your mileage will vary, but my experience seemed to generally line-up with the book and it's nearly 30-year old concept.

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely Enlightened, November 19, 2003
Liz C. (Ontario, CA United States) - See all my reviews
After hearing raving reviews about the affects of the Master Cleanser I decided to give it a try. I never thought I could fast for 1 day let alone 10 days, but now I'm on my 10th day and feeling better healthier and happier since my first drink. The amount of energy and vitality one receives from this cleansing is incredible. I feel cleaner and more alive. I highly recommend this book to anyone seriously interested in making a positive change in their life and begin a healthier lifestyle. The juice is great tasting elixer, it takes alot of will power and determination on ones part yet once you dedicate the 10 days believe me you will not have any regrets. P.S the first 5 days are the most challenging so be patient and stay focused remember 10 days are not as long as you think especially if the outcome is better health and a slimmer appearance. Good Luck and have faith in yourself you can do this, if I can anyone can. LC

5.0 out of 5 stars Easier than you think.., September 30, 2004
It's hard not to write a book on this experience, but I'll try to keep it short.

1. Read it. It seems to be the obvious thing to do, but I find most people do it, just by getting the recipe. There's some enlightening and important info in this book that will help keep you on the track to a healthier life.

2. Map out your plan. I worked full time at a Lebanese restaurant as a waitress and I was glad to have started on an off day. First day is the hardest, not only b/c of the hunger pangs but b/c it's sooooo easy to break it on the first day.

3. Drink enough-even if it means more than what the book calls for. It's true that you won't be too fatigued, but I should've had more b/c I'm at an average weight and I worked (as a waitress-which means more activity). Follow your instincts.

4. Do it for all the right reasons. The right reasons being for changing your life and diet for the better. Don't do it just to lose weight. If you do, you won't follow through and even if you follow through, you'll hurt yourself by gaining the weight back and throwing your body off balance. Trust me, I've had two friends do it and broke it off on the second day.. or just cheated and it just made them crazy. Mentally prepare yourself for great changes.

5. Have support and educate yourself about food. If no one in your immediate environment is not supportive, read any literature that is. It's more important than you think, especially when you're idle with free time (from not cooking/eating). Best way, if possible, is to do it with a dedicated partner.

BENEFITS

You will read about the benefits throughout this booklet. Personally, my benefits exceed whatever inconvenience or 'torture' my tastebuds and cravings went through in those 11 days.

1. Allergies have improved immensely.

2. lost weight(15lbs.), gained some of it back but did not want to lose weight before the fast.

3. I felt completely light and had a sense of peace that I'd never experienced before.

4. I don't struggle with food anymore. My attitude about food has changed completely. Food can be healing and to clean out like this is like having a clean slate to start life over again.

5. Remember, it's easy to dehydrate but it's hard to starve to death. What keeps you going are the simple ingredients that you add to water.

Most of all, if you do this properly and follow a good diet of nutritious and good food afterwards, you will be happy you did.

5.0 out of 5 stars A new beginning, October 15, 2004
Lisa Lisa "person of interest" (Houston, TX, United States) - See all my reviews
I've cleansed three times this year. After the second one, I had my annual physical. Not only did it reveal spectacular results in terms of cholesterol, blood sugar, and blood pressure, but I dropped two dress sizes and my skin has visibly improved. My doctor was actually shocked at the difference between a few years ago and now.

People preach that this is not primarily a weight-loss diet, and they're right; if you don't commit to maintaining a healthy diet and exercising regularly after you finish cleansing, you defeat the purpose, and any weight lost may return quickly (your metabolism tends to slow with reduced caloric intake). However, if you let this cleanse serve as a health-building, confidence-boosting jump-start to a completely new lifestyle, you can have the best of both worlds. The great way I feel, as well as the desire to keep off the 31 pounds I lost, have inspired me to adopt a vegan/organic lifestyle and exercise daily. High-quality food is more expensive (I've learned firsthand), but your body is the temple of God, and you are a worthwhile investment.

The amazing thing is that you CAN do it. I never thought I could fast for 10 days, but it really wasn't that hard. You may "miss" food, but you're not truly hungry. My only cautions: 1) you'll need a few hours of extra sleep each night and 2) you should follow the instructions for breaking the fast very carefully, or you may experience cramps and indigestion.

I hope your experience with cleansing proves as positive as mine was.

5.0 out of 5 stars For those complaining of pain, cankers, headaches, dizziness, April 7, 2004
By A Customer
I've read a number of reviews here where a person starts on this cleanse, but then stops after a few days because of all the sudden "pains, aches, canker sores, dizziness, pimples, feeling horrible" etc. It IS important to listen to your body, but at the same time...this is a CLEANSING DIET. All the source material about detoxing that I've ever come across makes the point that all such "pain and discomfort" is generally a result of the detox, and is a sign that your body is getting rid of GUNK! The gunk in your cells, tissues, all through your body...it doesn't JUST come out the potty end. If you're suddenly feeling pretty bad a few days into this intense cleanse, that's a very good sign that not only is it working, but that you NEED it. It's no fun to go through the process of releasing toxins, but at the same time, if you can get through it, you will burst onto a whole new level of wellness. If you think about it, rewards often come through a certain level of "trouble", whether it's spending weeks in the library studying a subject to gain knowledge or running 3 blocks to catch the last train. You've got to "get through it" to get the reward. My main point here is: this detox diet is not "bad" because it causes painful (and initial) side effects. That's a sign that it is working to clean out your body.
As a small second note, it amuses me to read the reviews here that rail against the "dangers" of not getting a full daily dose of every vitamin, mineral, etc. during the fast. The average American diet is cheesburgers, fries, coke, and meat-lovers pizzas. This diet seems like a very benign "danger" next to a lifetime of fettucine alfredo!
Fasting isn't for everyone, but if you choose to, you should understand what fasting will do for you, and how.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best "diet" I have ever been on!, August 23, 2001
Barbara Hoppe (S. Hampton, NH United States) - See all my reviews
This book was everything the author said it was. I started this cleansing process not knowing if I could do it. Ten days without food???!!! But the lemonade was great, very tasty, spicy! I love spicy foods so that was a plus for me. The laxative tea at night was already something that I did once in a while but I was a little skeptical about having this every night, but didn't have a problem with it.
Stanley Burroughs was right in saying that you would not have hunger pangs, that your addictions would disappear. I had a very "sweet tooth." If I saw a piece of danish, a dish of pudding, a piece of pie, I had to have it. I was exposed to much of this during my cleansing process and didn't once feel the urge to "have it." I have lost my "sweet tooth" cravings, and have not replaced it with other cravings. I am a week off the cleansing process and feel great, everyone remarks about how "skinny" I am. I would recommend this book to anyone who is serious about cleaning out their body and getting healthy, plus lose a few pounds in the process. Excellent book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT BOOK!, September 24, 2000
By A Customer
Please don't look at this as just a diet.This cleanser is a total detoxification for the body. I am 5'8" and 128 pounds..I started this cleanser because I was tired of eating junk and I was SO sluggish in the mornings..I suffered from ulcers, low blood pressure, sugar cravings, toothaches, pms etc...you name I had it..Five days into this cleanser my energy went thru the roof. I required only about four hours sleep resulting from the detoxification process. My blood pressure's normal. My ulcers healed. The sugar cravings have disappeared. No toothpain. I was also an allergy sufferer,which I am no longer..I suffered from these ailments for years..I paid thousands of dollars over the years for medications that never cured but only temporarily fixed the problem..The answer to all these problems I found was in a little fifty page book. Organic lemons, Organic maple syrup, Cayenne pepper and water has not only cured all of the above, I have no need to visit the physicians anymore. If you know anyone with an addiction of any of the above problems ,including smoking, don't hesitate to follow this program and by the way I started off at 133 pounds. I lost five pounds of toxins, waste and disease and kept the healthy tissue. I completed 15 days with no problem. In a few months I probably will continue. This is truly THE MASTER CLEANSER...GOOD LUCK!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Huge Suprise, March 12, 2006
At first glance, this cleansing process seemed impossible. After 40 days on this process, doing it exactly as it is presented, the following has occured:

I have lost 55 pounds. My blood pressure is within normal limits. My cholesterol is within normal limits. My energy level is twice what it was before the process. My aching bones are not aching. My tired feet are not tired. I am off all medications for various problems. I am eating healthy foods and liking it. In general, this process has done more for me than any other diet I have tried. It is quick and healthy. While it seems to be a very unhealthy way to loose weight, so far I have not had any ill effects from this process.

5.0 out of 5 stars Energized and content, June 22, 2002
We are still drinking the lemonade, and always plan to. My husband and I stayed on the diet for 9 days. We could have gone longer, but our granddaughter was getting married and we needed the extra day to "come down" from the diet.
We had started with a 3-day diet and liked the lemonade and the results. So we just started drinking it after the fast, and kept losing mucous and junk. We eat veggies, fruit, and beans & rice, mostly. We have grown to love eating that way.
Before we started our 10-day fast, we took a trip to ID. We drove 18 hours straight from KS to ID. We had energy all the way. We ate veggies and drank fruit smoothies all the way. It was wonderful. We had all the energy we needed to stay alert. I have arthritic knees, and they didn't get stiff at all. Each time I got out of the car, I was able to stand without pain. We were happy and content on the whole trip.
When we got home we immediately started our 10-day fast. We never got hungry. I missed the veggies and Dave missed the beans & rice sometimes, but we were NOT hungry. We both felt so clean and content, knowing that we'd lose the toxins and mucous.
We use very hot ceyenne pepper...180,000 hu. We put it in our 32 oz bottles. We love the bite.
We have been off the fast for 9 days now, and are still drinking the lemonade and drinking the tea. We are eating our regular healthy food, and are still losing toxins and mucous. We don't eat meat or dairy, or any of the poisonous foods on the supermarket shelves. We do most of our shopping at coops. Shopping is so easy now. No more wandering down endless aisles at the supermarket. What we buy may cost more, but we're saving on all the other ... stuff that we're no longer eating. It's such a satisfying and healthy way of eating.
We will continue to drink the lemonade and do the fast every so often. We buy our maple syrup and ceyenne pepper on the Internet. It saves us lots of money.
I am so thankful for the book, that my daughter found on the Internet. She is starting the diet today for 10 days. I want to try it again for about 20 days soon. I feel very healthy and clean and am full of energy, which we did not have before. There is such a difference.
Hope that you younger people will try it too. Most of my children say, "that's fine, if you can have that much will power to drink the stuff, and if that's the way you want to eat, but we want to eat our way, so please don't push your lifestyle on us." I know that it's age talking, but I want so much for them and my grandchildren to also be healthy. It is life-changing. Please try it.

5.0 out of 5 stars So many benefits...... (also excellent for quitting smoking), December 30, 2004
This cleanse works. I know at least ten people including myself who have done this fast and all of them, ALL of them have had very good results. It can be difficult at times, you can crave food in a sensual way even though you are not actually hungry. Your sense of smell is almost immediately heightened (especially if you give up smoking during the fast, which is how I finally quit some time ago) . I did not expect the weight loss that came with the fast. My weight loss actually came over the next 6 months after the first time I did this fast, I lost at least 20 pounds. The same thing happened for two other friends of mine. The immediate weight loss of the fast is not even as important as how cleansing your body can make you continue to lose weight *after* the fast. It has SO many health benefits. It helps with athletes foot (as it did for my boyfriend) because this is a condition often associated with candida. It helps many chronic problems and helped me with some of mine. Gives you a healthier immune system! Also, if you are dizzy on this fast as some people report you can alleviate that by drinking more of the lemonade and also adding a bit more maple syrup. Excercise during the fast is also tremendously helpful to stir things up and get them out of your system. Tried and true! Funny that many of the negative reviews come from people who have either not tried the fast or given up. Stick with it! Yes, it can be boring not putting any solid food in your mouth for ten days but if you are determined for a mere 10 days out of your life the whole quality of your health will improve for quite some time.

The Master Cleanser: With Special Needs and Problems
The Master Cleanser: With Special Needs and Problems by Stanley Burroughs (Paperback - 1993)
Used & New from: $0.01