5.0 out of 5 stars Speaking as an amateur collector this is by far the best book on Mazon Creek Fossils to date, August 22, 2013
This review is from: The Mazon Creek Fossil Fauna (Paperback)
When I found that his book had been published I could not wait to have a copy of my own.

I was not in any way disappointed with it (except for two very very minor ones listed below). To put it mildly I could not be happier with this material.

I have spent many hundreds of hours collecting at Mazon Creek and thought I had a fairly reasonable sample of what could be found there. After reading this book I find I might have 1% of the material shown represented in my collection.

The Forward and the following section "Coal, Shale, and Ironstone: The Paleontology of Mazon Creek and Its Great Faunal Discoveries" is a must read. It gives a concise history of the Mazon Creek area and what is thought to happend there to create such magnificent fossilization of soft bodied animals.

I was quite surprised to learn that is is now thought that shale containing these fossils was deposited by a momentous flood.

In my opinion this is the best book so far on the Mazon Creek area because of the color photographs and the easy reading. Color adds an immense dimension to viewing the specimens. I don't see how anyone could ask for anything more in the way of a book that contains so many specimens pictured in color accompanied by very readable text.

Each plate is accompanied by very well text written so that an amateur can completely understand it.

I was somewhat disappointed in that a picture of a Platysomus circularis fish shown to me by Dr. Richardson was not included. The fish was a little larger than a 50 cent piece and looked to have been made by a master gold craftsman. It had little scientific value I assume but any woman would have been proud to wear it around her neck. It was of course fossilized in iron pyrites - each scale and all other features having been perfectly taken over by iron pyrites.

My other disappointment was that a fossil I donated to the Field Museum was not included. It was of a Palaeocampa anthrax. The reason this fossil was unique was that the mouth parts were preserved in great detail. Dr. Richardson said "Darn you Fisher we had at first thought this was a land caterpillar then it was decided that it was a sea creature. We have about 50 of these in our collection and yours is the only one with the mouth parts preserved and now that I have seen your specimen I am not so sure it wasn't a land caterpillar after all." He indicated that he would probably write a paper on this specimen but he passed away rather suddenly shortly after I donated the specimen. This by the way is my one and only claim to fame!!! I hope you do not consider this bragging as it was just pure luck that I was the one that found this nodule.

I would also highly recommend Mr.T.V.Testas book "Mazon Creek Fossil Animals" A few of his fossils are of better preservation than shown in this book.

Possibly of further interest there was a strip mine near Terre Haute, Indiana that contains some of the remarkable preservation of soft bodied creatures such as spiders, eurypterids, shrimp and other animals. I know of no books published on this location. It is interesting that all of the material at Terre Haute is about 1/2 the size of that found at Mazon Creek. I am sure when collecting there I threw out a lot of material that I did not recognize but would have recognized after reading this book.

I want to thank Mr. Wittry and the ESCONI organization for producing such a marvelous book. In case you are not aware they have been producing books on Mazon Creek since before 1958. This one tops the list.

In closing it is a great shame that the collections of the hundreds of people who have collected at Mazon Creek cannot be brought together in one place. I am sure there are many more as yet undescribed animals residing in those collections.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, February 22, 2014
Denise Havlan (plainfield illinois) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mazon Creek Fossil Fauna (Paperback)
A must for Mazon Creek fossil hunters. This is the bible of Mazon Creek fauna fossils and a must before ones sets out to collect.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for Mazon Creek enthusiasts, November 28, 2013
stpaulite (Minneapolis, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mazon Creek Fossil Fauna (Paperback)
If one is interested in a readable encyclopedia of the Mazon Creek fauna with good pictures at a modest price, this is your book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift, April 26, 2013
This review is from: The Mazon Creek Fossil Fauna (Paperback)
Our son really enjoys reading this book. We have taken several trips to Coal City, Mazon Creek area. This book provides lots of valuable information about that area.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mazon Creek fossil, March 31, 2013
Helps with ID
Arrived in a timely way
Lots of Photos
price was the same as at the ECONI Club

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Reference Book, February 14, 2013
This review is from: The Mazon Creek Fossil Fauna (Paperback)
This book is a pretty inclusive sty of the Mazon Creek Fossils and Fauna. It replaces an older book which we will keep for reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars fossils from Mazon Creek, February 6, 2013
This review is from: The Mazon Creek Fossil Fauna (Paperback)
A heavy duty paper bound book. This book, "Mazon Creek Fossil Fauna", published in 2012, with a brown cover should not be confused with the other book, "The Mazon Creek Fossil Fauna" published 2006, a green cover, that deals with the fossil ferns and trees of the area. Both books are written by the same author and with same titles! I was delighted to find that I had not purchases the same book twice, but two different books discussing the same area but different subject topics.

The book {published in 2012} is full of great colored photographed pictures rather than the drawing of several of the earlier books. Very helpful if you want to identify any of the Mazon Creek fossils you might have in your collection. This book discuses the fauna of jellies, worms, different arthropods, mollusks, brachiopods, sea cumbers, phylum Chordata, and trace fossils and the Mazon Creek fauna taxonomy list. Excellent book to have in your fossil library.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mazon Creek Fauna, December 25, 2012
This review is from: The Mazon Creek Fossil Fauna (Paperback)
Very beautyfull book, full of color pictures, but information in book rather for young , beginner collectors. Informations about insects rather average. But book for all carboniferous fossils lovers!

5.0 out of 5 stars mazon creek fossil fauna, April 10, 2014
This review is from: The Mazon Creek Fossil Fauna (Paperback)
A non expensive book,but with wonderfull photos of the more animali fossil of this site.I reccomand to all amatours on fauna of Mazon Creek

The Mazon Creek Fossil Fauna
The Mazon Creek Fossil Fauna by Jack Wittry (Paperback - October 22, 2012)
$35.00 $25.44