5.0 out of 5 stars An online marketing book that both educates and inspires
In this comprehensive guide to online marketing, you'll learn everything you need to know in order to create and execute a powerful online marketing plan.

Lorrie covers all the components of online marketing:

Published on February 1, 2011 by Nancy Loderick

2.0 out of 5 stars A struggle to get through
Published on December 15, 2011 by Eric Wentworth

2.0 out of 5 stars A struggle to get through, December 15, 2011
This review is from: The McGraw-Hill 36-Hour Course: Online Marketing (McGraw-Hill 36-Hour Courses) (Paperback)
This book has been a struggle to read. It's not the material---the actual instruction is basic online marketing information that can be found online for free---it's the writing. For a book with the McGraw-Hill name attached to it, I expected better. I hate picking on authors; I know how much work it is to write a book. But in this case I wish a good editor had helped make the book more readable. As it is, the book is a great lesson in how NOT to write. It's full of cliches (e.g. There is no I in TEAM). Lots of exclamation points! And some downright confusing writing.

The book begins with three Online Marketing Rules. Rule #3 states "You have conquered all three rules by picking up this book. Don't let it go!" Huh? That's rule number three?

The author promises "36 action-packed hours that will lead you to web greatness." The rationalization for this is that the "Web phenomena Facebook started with only a few hours of very simple programming (honestly), and now has a valuation in the billions of dollars." Huh? Maybe I missed the point, but I seriously doubt Facebook is the result of "only a few hours of very simple programming."

In describing Chapter 8 the author says "Search Engine Optimization delves into SEO." Isn't this like saying "Search engine optimization delves into search engine optimization?" The author then says "You will also learn how social media (Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, etc) can boost SEO for total web domination." I'm not sure "total web domination" fits with the authors' other remarks in the book about online marketing being primarily about creating valuable relationships, but it seems out of place. I also don't think it's true.

In describing Chapter 11 the author says "Online Public Relations will show how PR can be done in your pajamas." Really? Perhaps if you are out of work or a single practitioner working from home. But is that really the focus of this chapter? There are dozens of examples like this throughout the book of writing that seems like it was done hastily, with little editing, and by someone who doesn't inspire confidence in their basic marketing credentials.

I wanted to like this book and include it in my own ongoing marketing education (or as the author says, "claim your newfound web wisdom (or shall we say "webdom"?). I do embrace the role of online marketing in an overall integrated marketing strategy. But as a 30-year marketing veteran, I can't say I learned enough to justify the price of the book.

As the author (condescendingly) says, "Everyone under 50, and a lot of people over 50 (who are growing younger while living longer), realizes that the web is the key to immediate information and wish fulfillment. The number of people who use the Internet is staggering!" These are the author's words, not mine. I realize that being over 50 makes me a doddering old relic, but hopefully I am one of the over 50 types who is "growing younger while living longer." The last time I looked in the mirror this wasn't happening, but maybe if I spend more time on the amazing Internet?

Note from doddering old "over 50" person: I have news for you, I was using a computer in 1982---almost certainly when the author of this book was toddling around in diapers. I was one of the first people to use the freakin' Internet for crissakes.

Since the Internet "is the key to immediate information and wish fulfillment," my wish for a new Aston-Martin Vantage should be just be a mouse-click away. Damn! I just tried it and my 1999 Ford Explorer is still out in the driveway. So much for immediate wish fulfillment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Common Sense, January 27, 2012
Running Bill (Boston, MA United States) - See all my reviews
I have trouble understanding how this book got such high reviews. I'm wondering if mindless Marketing people support their own kind, but for the rest of us who have surfed the web and understand simple concepts, this book is just a step above useless. It was actually a long read for the amount of substance it offered, and extremely repetitive (to fill space I'm guessing) but it could have been a 2-part article online...and I've read better as such. I'm a web designer and I was looking for some deeper SEO tricks and/or some tangible marketing advice beyond meta tags, start blogging, and make a facebook fan page...duh, thanks. For real SEO advice I recommend a dedicated SEO book, and for a good book of marketing advice...well, tell me when you find it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An online marketing book that both educates and inspires, February 1, 2011

Lorrie covers all the components of online marketing:

* Web Analytics
* Search Engine Optimization
* Online Advertising
* Email marketing
* Online public relations.

For each component, Lorrie shares best practices, real-life examples and resources. I've been doing online marketing for several years and I've learned some new things from this book. This is also the first time I've read a clear explanation of web analytics and search engine optimization.

Why this book is so powerful:

* the online marketing components are presented in a very clear and easy to understand format. There's no technical jargon; Lorrie writes for the business person, not the technology person.

* the emphasis on setting your strategy before jumping into the tactics. Setting up online accounts like Twitter is very easy; it's your strategy that will determine if you're successful.

* the tactical steps help you get started. For example, Lorrie reviews the pros and cons of self-hosting a blog.

* the material is reinforced by the questions at the end of every chapter. There's even an online test to further reinforce your knowledge!

* the hard copy book is great for reference. I'll definitely keep this book on my desk.

* the listing of additional online resources for each marketing component.

* the final chapter on putting it all together. This chapter includes a sample timeline for getting started, examples of goals and measures of success.

The book is titled, "MGraw-Hill 36-Hour Course: Online Marketing." I'm not sure of the significance of the 36 hour reference, is it supposed to take 36 hours to read this book? Or, take 36 hours to implement the plan suggested in the last chapter? In spite of this minor confusion, I really enjoyed this book.

This is a wonderful and valuable resource for anyone wanting to create an effective online marketing plan. The strategy and tactics detailed in this book are effective for large and small companies, as well as for individuals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Online Marketing: do it; no more excuses!, January 30, 2011
On the same day that I attended a Social Media presentation at a conference and trade show of an organization that has been reluctant to enter the 21st century and embrace technology - much less see a great deal of use for Social Media marketing - Lorrie Thomas's "Online Marketing" arrived in my mailbox.

I am now in the process of sending e-mails to some of the people I met at the conference, encouraging them to get to their bookstores ASAP and buy a copy of this book.

"Online Marketing" tells it like it is, in understandable, everyday language, and covers everything an entrepreneur or small business owner needs to know. I'm glad the book contains a section on web sites and another on blogging. But it is especially the clarity of Chapters 6 and 10, on Social Media Marketing and E-Mail Marketing, respectively, that will benefit my clients and prospects. And, I reckon, my others around the country.

In about 250 pages, the author covers the gamut of online marketing. Each chapter ends with a quiz that helps us remember what we need to do. And then there is a free online exam - wow!

I like this book and know I will consult it frequently; we all need refreshers from time to time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Online Marketing, Explained Completely and Compellingly, February 25, 2011
Length:: 8:23 Mins

I gave this book a 5-star rating, yet wished I could have awarded 10-star ranking. Lorrie Thomas--not a born techie, but an entrepreneur who developed her skills incrementally (as most of us have to do)--asserts at the outset that the "true meaning of marketing is maximizing relationships." Using the tools and strategies she recommends, you will be able to enrich your current professional relationships and cultivate new ones far more rapidly.

Once you have completed reading this book, you will go back to it constantly as a valuable resource for strengthening your online presence.

Have you started small with your Web marketing? Then follow Lorrie Thomas' advice: "Start small, then snowball."

You will be amazed at the depth of the author's research, and so pleased that she illustrates her information in clear and often witty language.

My prediction: You will decide that purchasing, reading, and applying this book was one of your wisest professional steps.

The Complete Communicator: Change Your Communication-change Your Life!

3.0 out of 5 stars Review of Online Marketing, April 6, 2012
The book is a course in Online Marketing, offering a certificate of achievement through its publisher. One goes to their website, and takes an exam when they are ready to do so. The book its self is a good entry level textbook covering all the major areas of Online Marketing to date. It reads like a text book, and it will make a nice ready reference to my own professional library. However, after passing the exam with flying colors, I had to jump through hoops to get the certificate in my hot little hands. I had to email and telephone the publisher several times, till I finally got someone who knew what they were doing, and got me the certificate in about 4 minutes after the call was completed. Not very confident in the competence of the publisher, but the book is more valuable than the price paid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thirty-Six Hours That Will Change Your Online Life, January 23, 2011
Steve Amoia (Washington, D.C.) - See all my reviews
Lorrie Thomas is a new author and the CEO of Web Marketing Therapy. When I read her comments in the introduction, I saw something rather intriguing:

"I am living proof that one does not need specific degrees, high-level certifications, or vast web marketing experience to become a successful online marketer... I did not own a personal computer and was no means web savvy... Online marketing tools do not sell products and services; relationships sell products and services."

Those comments made me want to dive into this extremely practical, well-written and comprehensive guide to online marketing.

Organized Format

There are twelve chapters of approximately 20 pages in length. There are ample subheads and bulleted lists for increased readability. The author's writing style is conversational, direct and motivational. She avoids the use of jargon and explains acronyms and other terms in easy-to-digest language. Ms. Thomas asks many questions within each chapter. It feels as if she is giving you a personal consultation or private lessons. This format likely will add more reading time; however, it reinforces the tutorial nature of this book. The detailed index is also user-friendly for quick reference.

Innovative Learning Features

This book promotes a projected learning time frame of 36 hours. The most salient feature to support that concept was quizzes at the end of each chapter. They force you to challenge what you have learned and to revisit areas that might be unclear. Another excellent complement to this concept was answers for each quiz neatly organized at the end of the book. My two favorite chapters were "Building the Website" and "Blogging." Both shared tips and perspectives to assist a novice or experienced reader in these popular topics.

Online Examination

One appealing benefit is the opportunity to measure what you have learned with a credential. McGraw-Hill offers an online test with 100 questions. When you successfully pass the exam, you will receive a Certificate of Achievement.

"It's the wild, wild web. There are no rules."

Whether you have a website, blog or social media accounts, or are considering these online marketing tools, this book will become your trusted guide. "Online Marketing" will make you think about the importance of developing relationships and serving your customers. Such integral concepts are not defined merely by trendy acronyms, @ signs, email campaigns or affiliate ad clicks.

Please Note

A McGraw-Hill representative provided me with a complimentary review copy of this book. I was not monetarily compensated for the review by any party that would benefit from a positive analysis.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE course for those interested in becoming an expert in Internet Marketing!, January 14, 2011
Lorrie Thomas' course is an effective, lucidly written manual on the most important aspects of internet marketing. Her writing is to the point and she nails
all of the crucial aspects of getting a business online. If you want to garner influence, attraction and notice of your product NOW, Lorrie is the teacher for you.
Lorrie's bright and upbeat language motivates AND informs, leaving the reader with TONS of monetizable tips. If you want to go pro, take this course and you'll be
well on your way!! Bravo!

5.0 out of 5 stars Priceless, March 2, 2011
Lorrie Thomas has dramatically reduced the learning curve with this book. The average person interested in web marketing or in charge of a web marketing campaign would benefit from her work. I personally had limited understanding of all the moving pieces of a successful web marketing campaign. This book starts with the basics and allows the reader to become fluent enough in the web marketing world to venture out by themselves or understand the "lingo" while talking with a seasoned professional.
Lorrie is very honest in the effort it takes to be successful with web marketing. For anyone beginning a campaign or improving their existing one, this should be your book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Online Marketing overview ever!, January 27, 2011
Lorrie's new book is absolutely the best book out there for beginner or seasoned online marketer. Each chapter is crammed with succinct info & easy-to-understand directions on exactly how to design, execute, and optimize your website. More information here, in 250 pages, than in any other web marketing book I've read (and I've read over 10 of the most popular books).

The McGraw-Hill 36-Hour Course: Online Marketing (McGraw-Hill 36-Hour Courses)
$20.00 $15.02