Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The McGraw-Hill 36-Hour Course: Online Marketing (McGraw-Hill 36-Hour Courses)
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on December 15, 2011
This book has been a struggle to read. It's not the material---the actual instruction is basic online marketing information that can be found online for free---it's the writing. For a book with the McGraw-Hill name attached to it, I expected better. I hate picking on authors; I know how much work it is to write a book. But in this case I wish a good editor had helped make the book more readable. As it is, the book is a great lesson in how NOT to write. It's full of cliches (e.g. There is no I in TEAM). Lots of exclamation points! And some downright confusing writing.

The book begins with three Online Marketing Rules. Rule #3 states "You have conquered all three rules by picking up this book. Don't let it go!" Huh? That's rule number three?

The author promises "36 action-packed hours that will lead you to web greatness." The rationalization for this is that the "Web phenomena Facebook started with only a few hours of very simple programming (honestly), and now has a valuation in the billions of dollars." Huh? Maybe I missed the point, but I seriously doubt Facebook is the result of "only a few hours of very simple programming."

In describing Chapter 8 the author says "Search Engine Optimization delves into SEO." Isn't this like saying "Search engine optimization delves into search engine optimization?" The author then says "You will also learn how social media (Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, etc) can boost SEO for total web domination." I'm not sure "total web domination" fits with the authors' other remarks in the book about online marketing being primarily about creating valuable relationships, but it seems out of place. I also don't think it's true.

In describing Chapter 11 the author says "Online Public Relations will show how PR can be done in your pajamas." Really? Perhaps if you are out of work or a single practitioner working from home. But is that really the focus of this chapter? There are dozens of examples like this throughout the book of writing that seems like it was done hastily, with little editing, and by someone who doesn't inspire confidence in their basic marketing credentials.

I wanted to like this book and include it in my own ongoing marketing education (or as the author says, "claim your newfound web wisdom (or shall we say "webdom"?). I do embrace the role of online marketing in an overall integrated marketing strategy. But as a 30-year marketing veteran, I can't say I learned enough to justify the price of the book.

As the author (condescendingly) says, "Everyone under 50, and a lot of people over 50 (who are growing younger while living longer), realizes that the web is the key to immediate information and wish fulfillment. The number of people who use the Internet is staggering!" These are the author's words, not mine. I realize that being over 50 makes me a doddering old relic, but hopefully I am one of the over 50 types who is "growing younger while living longer." The last time I looked in the mirror this wasn't happening, but maybe if I spend more time on the amazing Internet?

Note from doddering old "over 50" person: I have news for you, I was using a computer in 1982---almost certainly when the author of this book was toddling around in diapers. I was one of the first people to use the freakin' Internet for crissakes.

Since the Internet "is the key to immediate information and wish fulfillment," my wish for a new Aston-Martin Vantage should be just be a mouse-click away. Damn! I just tried it and my 1999 Ford Explorer is still out in the driveway. So much for immediate wish fulfillment.
88 comments|90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2012
I have trouble understanding how this book got such high reviews. I'm wondering if mindless Marketing people support their own kind, but for the rest of us who have surfed the web and understand simple concepts, this book is just a step above useless. It was actually a long read for the amount of substance it offered, and extremely repetitive (to fill space I'm guessing) but it could have been a 2-part article online...and I've read better as such. I'm a web designer and I was looking for some deeper SEO tricks and/or some tangible marketing advice beyond meta tags, start blogging, and make a facebook fan page...duh, thanks. For real SEO advice I recommend a dedicated SEO book, and for a good book of marketing advice...well, tell me when you find it.
on April 6, 2012
The book is a course in Online Marketing, offering a certificate of achievement through its publisher. One goes to their website, and takes an exam when they are ready to do so. The book its self is a good entry level textbook covering all the major areas of Online Marketing to date. It reads like a text book, and it will make a nice ready reference to my own professional library. However, after passing the exam with flying colors, I had to jump through hoops to get the certificate in my hot little hands. I had to email and telephone the publisher several times, till I finally got someone who knew what they were doing, and got me the certificate in about 4 minutes after the call was completed. Not very confident in the competence of the publisher, but the book is more valuable than the price paid.
on December 5, 2015
It's a good overview / primer of online marketing.
Don't expect to dig deep or master any of the techniques.
However, if you're new to this, it's a good introduction to get you on the path of what to learn.
on February 25, 2011
I gave this book a 5-star rating, yet wished I could have awarded 10-star ranking. Lorrie Thomas--not a born techie, but an entrepreneur who developed her skills incrementally (as most of us have to do)--asserts at the outset that the "true meaning of marketing is maximizing relationships." Using the tools and strategies she recommends, you will be able to enrich your current professional relationships and cultivate new ones far more rapidly.

Once you have completed reading this book, you will go back to it constantly as a valuable resource for strengthening your online presence.

Have you started small with your Web marketing? Then follow Lorrie Thomas' advice: "Start small, then snowball."

You will be amazed at the depth of the author's research, and so pleased that she illustrates her information in clear and often witty language.

My prediction: You will decide that purchasing, reading, and applying this book was one of your wisest professional steps.

The Complete Communicator: Change Your Communication-change Your Life!
44 comments|29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
In this comprehensive guide to online marketing, you'll learn everything you need to know in order to create and execute a powerful online marketing plan.

Lorrie covers all the components of online marketing:

* Website
* Content Marketing
* Blogging
* Social Media marketing
* Web Analytics
* Search Engine Optimization
* Online Advertising
* Email marketing
* Online public relations.

For each component, Lorrie shares best practices, real-life examples and resources. I've been doing online marketing for several years and I've learned some new things from this book. This is also the first time I've read a clear explanation of web analytics and search engine optimization.

Why this book is so powerful:

* the online marketing components are presented in a very clear and easy to understand format. There's no technical jargon; Lorrie writes for the business person, not the technology person.

* the emphasis on setting your strategy before jumping into the tactics. Setting up online accounts like Twitter is very easy; it's your strategy that will determine if you're successful.

* the tactical steps help you get started. For example, Lorrie reviews the pros and cons of self-hosting a blog.

* the material is reinforced by the questions at the end of every chapter. There's even an online test to further reinforce your knowledge!

* the hard copy book is great for reference. I'll definitely keep this book on my desk.

* the listing of additional online resources for each marketing component.

* the final chapter on putting it all together. This chapter includes a sample timeline for getting started, examples of goals and measures of success.

The book is titled, "MGraw-Hill 36-Hour Course: Online Marketing." I'm not sure of the significance of the 36 hour reference, is it supposed to take 36 hours to read this book? Or, take 36 hours to implement the plan suggested in the last chapter? In spite of this minor confusion, I really enjoyed this book.

This is a wonderful and valuable resource for anyone wanting to create an effective online marketing plan. The strategy and tactics detailed in this book are effective for large and small companies, as well as for individuals.
on October 29, 2011
As my title describes, "Online Marketing" offers a thorough look at the options available to those engaged in building an e-business, or incorporating online marketing into a brick-and-mortar establishment. While the book doesn't offer fine-grained details on any one topic, it gives you enough detail to search out additional information. This isn't a drawback, as no book of reasonable length could offer substantive detail on every topic. The author is obviously a well-informed authority on the topic, and doesn't promote one option over another, instead focusing on the best use of the available options. I was most impressed with the friendly, yet professional style in which the the author has written this book. No hype, bluster, or unsubstantiated claims. Just the facts.
on March 8, 2013
This is a good book to start with and has chapters easy to read. Just be sure to due the action items as you go along. It is probably one of the least intimidating and friendly versions of online marketing teaching that you will see. It breeds confidence and courage to try. Well worth the price.
on January 3, 2013
I recently started a job as a marketing coordinator, after having a background in graphic design. I found this book to be a fantastic introduction to the basics of online marketing and frequently refer back to it to make sure I'm staying on track with my marketing efforts. Highly recommend.
VINE VOICEon September 10, 2013
Lorrie Thomas' "Online Marketing" is an easy to follow "how-to" book on the use of the web for marketing. Marketing on the Net is a rapidly changing and evolving field so keeping up on its effective use and potential is challenging. Thomas provides a good overview of the current thinking and covers most, if not all, on-line tools. These include: the role and development of a website (the cornerstone); content marketing; blogging (time consuming if you do it right); analytics so you know what is working and what is not; the current thinking on SEO (search engine optimization); email marketing: and online public relations.

As a McGraw-Hill 36 hour course, "Online Marketing" offers tests to measure your progress, a free online exam, and a Certificate of Achievement. This is a very basic and useful book for the novice. I highly recommend it.