5.0 out of 5 stars 'Living well is the best revenge'
Published 17 months ago by Grady Harp

1.0 out of 5 stars Incompetence at its height.
Watch these recipes for errors: wrong cooking times and temps, incomplete or misdirected instructions, and misguided recommendations. Obviously the authors did not adequately test their recipes prior to publishing them.
Published 8 months ago by Elbert Breeding

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Living well is the best revenge', May 16, 2013
This review is from: The Mediterranean Diet Cookbook: A Mediterranean Cookbook with 150 Healthy Mediterranean Diet Recipes (Paperback)
`La cucina povera' is the term the authors of this very fine, no nonsense book on eating to support health and longevity ease us into the concept of the Mediterranean Diet. There is a fine introduction that informs us that this diet is the way of life in Greece, Italy and the south of France - a diet based on vegetables, grains, and legumes with small amounts of dairy, eggs, and poultry and even smaller amount of red meat. In the opening chapter the importance of daily regular exercise is stressed as is the lifestyle - like those who live in the Mediterranean region enjoy - as a means to improving mood and cognitive function, support weight loss, and maintaining heart and vein health as well as supporting the immune system and thus preventing illness. Yes, most people who pick up this book will know these facts, but when they are written in the warm and supportive and factual manner as they are here, it is far easier to embrace the concept.

But, basically this is a cookbook that presents 150 recipes with the ingredients that are compatible with the Mediterranean Diet. The sections are divided into Breakfasts, Salads, Sides and Snacks, Soups, Sandwiches and Wraps, Grains and Pastas, Poultry Dishes Meat Dishes, Seafood Dishes, Vegetable Dishes, and Desserts (yes, there are rewards at the end of the rainbow!). Each recipe has an introduction that discusses why this dish was formed, explains the unfamiliar ingredients and what it offers the cook and the eater. The ingredients are clearly marked and the instructions are brief, simple and straight forward.

For those who are already familiar with the Mediterranean Diet, this cookbook will provide some fine new variations on ideas you may have tried. For those just beginning, there could not be a more supportive book for learning (and feeling) what being healthy starting with diet can really mean. Grady Harp, May 13

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy the Mediterranean Way of Life Through Food!, April 5, 2013
I love Mediterranean food but don't know how to make it. And like many people, I am constantly on a diet. I enjoy cooking and with The Mediterranean Diet Cookbook I get healthy and delicious dishes. This cookbook introduced me to great dishes covering from breakfast to dinner, desserts and snacks and all have tips for making a low calorie version. There are some amazing vegetarian recipes. No one is left out in this cookbook. All ingredients (and substitutions) are available at your local grocers. If you like chips and dip then definitely try the roasted eggplant dip with spicy yogurt sauce and homemade pita chips. This has become my go-to snack.

I also appreciated that the introduction and first chapter clearly explained the basic guidelines for the Mediterranean Diet Pyramid and the benefits. Eating Mediterranean is not about having a weight loss plan or being on the `traditional diet' program. It is introducing you to a new and healthy eating lifestyle that happens to help you lose weight. These recipes are worth trying and you will enjoy every mouthful!

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect cookbook for a healthier lifestyle!, April 22, 2013
The Mediterranean Cookbook is a gateway to a healthier life. The cookbook is full of "Old World" recipes that are free of preservatives, full of fruits and veggies, and naturally low in fat. This is not the typical fad diet that you end up gaining all the weight back after you stop. In this book, it teaches you how to change your eating habits by eliminating all the "junk food" and teaching you how to make foods that are good for you.

The first chapter explains how to use the cookbook to change your lifestyle. It explains how you naturally will lose weight while making the food. The recipes are easy enough to read and follow and many of the ingredients are already in your house. I'm going to be using this cookbook a lot so that I can introduce my kids to new foods and healthier options! They're going to love the desserts like the Banana Cream Pie Parfaits and the Cranberry Orange Cheesecake Pears!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Yummiest Way To Lose Weight, April 22, 2013
As a working new mother who is breastfeeding I am so excited about the Mediterranean Diet. The doctor has been very adamant about me not cutting too many calories and being cautious about what I am eating. This diet is perfect because it relies on you eating the things you love but in healthy portions and combining the simple concept of increasing your happiness. Not only are the recipes delicious, they are meant to be shared in good company and are really simple to make with ingredients, like olive oil, that are already found in my cupboard.
The Avocado and Honey Smoothie allows me to have my breakfast and play with my newborn at the same time. The Spinach and Brown Rice Soup basically cooked itself freeing me up to do other things around the house and my son loved it too!
My problem with some other diet cookbooks is that even when I thumb through them I get the feeling that I am going to be perpetually hungry, this cookbook however had me rushing to the Farmer's Market and into my kitchen to get started.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cookbook!, July 7, 2013
This is a great beginners guide to Mediterranean cooking. A lot of the recipes are simple and don't require too much time. All the ingredients you can buy at most grocery stores. Perfect for people who don't want to spend hours cooking one meal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to find new recipes, April 4, 2013
I’ve long been a fan of the Mediterranean diet, but I’d fallen into a rut when it came to recipes. Although I loved my old favorites, I needed some new ones to keep things interesting. The Mediterranean Diet Cookbook certainly delivered, giving me fresh twists on dishes I’d already made as well as completely different ideas. I’d neglected breakfast for a large part of my adult life, but this cookbook has some excellent (and healthful!) recipes that go far beyond cereal. One of my particular favorites is the avocado and honey smoothie—it’s absolutely delicious, and by swapping Greek yogurt for the milk, it can be made much thicker and dessert-like.

Additionally, I also appreciated the brief description notes that introduce each recipe. They often included tips to make the recipes lower in calories, as well as helpful substitutions for some of the more hard-to-find ingredients. The Mediterranean diet, as the book stresses, isn’t a weight-loss plan, but it’s certainly possible to shed some pounds eating this way. If you’ve ever wanted to give the Mediterranean diet a try, or are just looking for some new recipes, I’d definitely give this book a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a diet book, a good lifestyle book., April 19, 2013
I found that the Mediterranean Diet Cookbook was much more than that, but a great start for becoming a healthier person, and living a healthy lifestyle. This book has great advice for healthy living in general, not just for a fad diet. Most of the meals in this book would make you forget you're trying to lose weight, anyway. Be warned though- the book comes with a reminder that you should also involve physical to lose weight.

But beyond that, the recipes are great too. There's something for every meal, and for every person's tastes. The sides and snacks are probably among the best of the bunch, but some of the dinner/pasta dishes and, of course, the desserts (Honey-Vanilla Apple Pie!) are also fantastic.

1.0 out of 5 stars Incompetence at its height., February 10, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Eating Well is The Best Revenge!, November 11, 2013
Like many other people who battle with weight loss and eating the right foods, it's hard to find a sensible plan that allows me to eat delicious and healthily at the same time. With Rockridge University Press' Mediterranean Diet Cookbook, I am learning how to cook great food and use more olive oil. The Mediterranean Diet has its roots in the countries along the sea, and this book provides information about the benefits of adhering to it.

Some of my favorite recipes include the Scrambled Eggs with Feta and Olives for breakfast and the Turkish Lentil soup for lunch. Each recipe is easy to follow and thorough. The author even provides a little history and background about the ingredients.

If you are looking to cook in a unique and healthy way, I highly recommend this cookbook as a reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome and easy to make, June 22, 2013
I love this cook book! It's not necessarily a diet but a life style change! The food is flavorful and healthy! It taste gourmet and its simple to put together! My family is enjoying it immensely! Even my 22 month old son! I highly recommend this book!

$9.99 $8.99