100%

Glycerin soap, originally, was made using real soap, alcohol and sugar and a long cooking process. Some people still make it that way. Melt and pour glycerin soap is made using surfactant chemicals that behave like soap does in cleaning and foaming, along with alcohol and sugar. It has a high amount of glycerin in it, which is hydroscopic which means it attracts moisture, which makes it a non-drying option for people who have issues with soap drying their skin too much.

So, science and explanation out of the way, the e-book is very detailed about the process of soap crafting with melt and pour soap. The author cares a lot about the topic and wants to share that with you.

If you've seen the kits, it's some blocks of clear soap, sometimes some coloring and stuff to include in the soap, fragrance oil and short instructions which say to microwave the soap. Not very satisfying for crafty minds that want to create. This is a lot better.

The first half of the book is about the process of melt and pour soap. She explains what you can mix in, with lists of the attributes to different oils and herbs. She also includes some information about additives you might not think of, like tapioca pearls for a gently massaging soap. She explains how to use colorants, liquid, mica, mineral and natural. She also explains why using a double boiler or a crock pot is a better option than microwaving your soap.

A chapter of tips that she's learned to tell you things that won't work and things that work well, then you get to the recipes.

The recipes include a lot of techniques in themselves. How to do layered soaps,cake soaps,soap embed and my favorite section, shampoo bars!

She finishes up with a lot of information about labeling and selling your finished soap products.

One of the best things in my opinion about melt and pour soap crafting is that it's a very friendly craft. You don't need to be a kitchen chemist. It's a craft that's ideal for parents to do with children as gifts or as the start of a home based business. Because of the nature of melt and pour soap, any thing that doesn't work out is still usable in your home.

My daughter was interested in this book because she's looking at ways to make extra money this summer and she loves crafting. I love the ideas in the book, but I prefer hand-milling soap and a lot of her tips and ideas can be used in hand-milled soap as well. I plan to try some shampoo bars both ways, using melt and pour and hand-milling.

A lot of great information in this book if you've ever had an interest in melt and pour soapmaking.

[I received a complimentary copy of the book to review on my craft blog- Don't Eat the Paste. My reviews are always my honest opinion]
on January 12, 2013
This is a great book for first time or experienced soap hobbyists. It helped me to make perfect soap the very first time.
on January 23, 2012
I was very excited to learn how to make homemade soap. I've always thought they'd make a fun. personal gift for family and friends.
"The Joy of Melt & Pour Soap Crafting" says it's for beginners to the everyday crafter. At first I was a bit overwhelmed with the book, it used a lot of terms I had never heard of and talked like I knew something about soap making. But I decided to not give up on the book right away and I'm glad I didn't. By the end of the book I couldn't wait to head to the craft store and get everything I needed to make my own soap. I felt ready and knew I'd make some great soap. Maybe not perfect soap but at least better then I would have if I didn't have this book.
I went with a clear base, green Tea & Cucumber scent and added a few special "toys" to make them what I'd call "Cucumber Tea surprise". They didn't turn out perfect but I still love them and so did Lee and Moo. I did mess up the scent a bit and is stronger then I wanted, but you learn from trying, I know next time to put a bit less in.
If you're looking for something to teach you how to make your own soap I highly recommend, "The Joy of Melt & Pour Soap Crafting". Just keep in mind, you'll want to read the whole book before you start. Every tip is helpful.
---------------------
*Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this product mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.
on December 20, 2013
When I began reading this book, I was completely unfamiliar with soap making in general. I had thought about doing it before, but there was little motivation or interest. I almost reluctantly accepted this review thinking I may not enjoy it. I figured I would be reading a technical book with little application.

All I can say is--wow, was I ever wrong! This is one of the most practical craft books I have ever had the pleasure to read. This author knows her topic, and she does not hold back on her secrets and methods. I do not think there is a topic in melt and pour soap making that she does not cover. In fact, I can say that I am interested in doing this with my daughter this summer as a result of reading this book.

I loved the fact that she covered absolutely everything possible (maybe she left some things out, but if she did, it wasn't much)that you could mix into the soap. She explained the benefits and pitfalls of each of these items. She pointed out mistakes to avoid. And her recipes and pictures were phenomenal. Adding wine to soap? I have never heard of that, and she was the one to have great success with this.

So if you have interest in melt and pour soap making (or even if you do not), be sure to check out this book. Anyone can make soaps, and she will tell you how to do it!

I was sent a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. I was not financially compensated in any way, and all opinions are 100 percent mine.
on January 18, 2012
I must admit I haven't ever thought much about soap crafting, but I was excited to read more about it. I'm sure my kids will love doing this with me in maybe a snow day coming soon. Well, if we have anymore this year! I guess I need to get to the store and buy the supplies for when the time comes.

Lisa Maliga, the author of the book, has been crafting soaps for years! She runs the website Everythingsheacreates.com. The site shows off some of her creations which are pretty neat.

A little about the e-book:

* It tells how to make hand crafted soap in less than 1 hour!
* It tells the secrets of melt and pour soap crafting
* Step-by-step instructions
* Easy projects for kids of all ages
* List of reputable soap suppliers
* Creative labeling & packaging deals with photos
* Color photos of each recipe
* And best of all this takes NO experience at all, which is exactly how much experience as I had.

I realize now that some of the best molds are the silicone molds. I bought some silicone molds this year to make homemade crayons with. I just have to clean up all of the crayon out of the mold before I start my soap making. Michael's craft store, Walmart, Amazon, and many other places carry the silicone molds so that's good news - the molds are easy to find!

I like that there's a chapter near the end about what mistakes not to make. These are great hints and really hopefully will keep anyone from making some annoying mistakes they may otherwise had honestly happened into (which would cost $ and time as many would make the soap unusable). I really love these hints and will be sure to re-read these before starting my first bar of soap.
The end also has some websites listed where you can buy some oils, some soap bases, and it looks like a lot of good information to get someone started. These resources alone are worth the cost of the e-book as it will save a lot of time in getting started.
on January 18, 2012
I love to craft! I love making handmade gifts, especially for Christmas, so I was super excited to get The Joy of Melt and Pour Soap Crafting e-book by Lisa Maliga of Everything Shea Creates.

I was a little worried when I opened the e-book and saw that it was 134 pages! My initial thoughts were what do I need to know about soap crafting in 134 pages!? Boy, was there a lot to know and learn!

Lisa has been crafting soap years. She goes through the materials that you need; how to shape, mold, scent, and color soap; as well as recipes for different types of soaps. She goes through the different kinds of scents, oils, colors, herbs and what not that goes into crafting different soaps.

I haven't had a chance to make any soap yet, but I am super excited to try my hand at and be able to craft some soap for gifts! The e-book shares where I can find the things I need and will definitely be sharing with you all when I have my first homemade crafted soap!
on June 16, 2014
Made my first batch of soap today using recipes from this book. Very basic and thorough instructions for beginners. Do read the book from start to finish before you start (it's a quick read) and think about what to purchase for your first attempt. I got so excited making my first batch I forgot to add coloring but it smells nice! There are several different recipes that should appeal to a variety of tastes and I can see how these can be adapted as I get more comfortable with the process. I am happy with this book and look forward to making lots of nice soap.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Very good resource book. I really like the recipes that are included - especially like that the book includes recipes for shampoo bars! That's an added bonus. There is also a resource list included that is helpful as well as an education on what ingredients you want or do not want to include in soaps and why.
on February 19, 2015
Wonderful read and helpful hints,