Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

"The Mentalist" returns for a fourth season on CBS, starring Simon Baker as Patrick Jane, a former psychic medium and con man, now working as a consultant for the California Bureau of Investigation (CBI) with a team led by Senior Special Agent Theresa Lisbon (Robin Tunney) that includes Special Agents Kimball Cho (Tim Kang), Wayne Rigsby (Owain Yeoman), and Grace Van Pelt (Amanda Righetti). "The Mentalist" has thrived for three seasons as a clever police procedural built around Jane's uncanny ability to read and manipulate people (including, sometimes, his own teammates).

As the fourth season opens, the team is in deep trouble. Patrick Jane is on trial for murder, for having shot a man he believed to be the infamous serial killer Red John, murderer of Jane's own wife and child. Lisbon is on suspension for failing to manage Jane, while her team has been scattered. Patrick Jane has a lot of work to do. He needs to somehow survive a trial, then regain the trust of a new CBI boss and resurrect his old team.

The interpersonal dynamics of the team continue to be interesting and entertaining, and will be affected by Lisbon's new supervisor, a man with an agenda. Under duress, Lisbon and Jane will become much more frank with each other about a great many things. Lisbon and the team will have to deal with an angry and edgy Van Pelt, traumatized by the betrayal and death of her fiancee last season. Cho and Rigsby will have the unique experience of watching Jane manipulate someone else's team and team leader, for a change, while dealing with their own entangling personal relationships outside the team. And is it possible that Red John is still out there, still haunting Patrick Jane? And if he is, will there be another confrontation?

"The Mentalist: The Complete Fourth Season" is very highly recommended to its fans.
33 comments|95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2012
My wife, myself and my son and daughter-in-law as well as my daughter and son-in-law have all loved watching the Mentalist in the first three seasons and are waiting eagerly for the release of the fourth season. Better than any of CSI's (who are getting bloody repetitive (as the English would say), the Mentalist is more like a modern day Sherlock Holmes and fun to pit your wits against his.
on March 19, 2012
I look forward to watching this each week. When I travel I take my copies with me and watch them in the evenings in the motel room. It is hard to find good programs on TV, but this is at the top.
on January 17, 2013
I love the mentalist. This season was 48 dollars for so long, glad I caught it on sale for 22 bucks. Gotta love Amazon for that!!! Patrick Jane is one of my favorite Crime show solvers. I love his method of solving crime, not always necessary but usually gets the job done. The show brings all the basic CBS crime show requirements, Humor, excellent character back grounds, well developed friend ships between partners and friends. And new stories every episode. I own all the DVDs currently out, I can't wait for season 5!
on January 20, 2016
I've been watching TV since it was invented and there has been no better TV series - or even a one-off film - than The Mentalist. I have the entire DVD set but ordered one digital episode (Blinking Red Light) because the disk is damaged. I may back up all my DVDs with digital. It's hard to say in a few words all the ways TM is so worth watching repeatedly. There is immense depth of character whose nuances continue to show up with every rerun. The acting by Simon Baker, Robin Tunney and Tim Kang is spot-on perfect and not a stereotype in sight. The ethical values that shine through are admirable, the diversity in casting appears naturally appropriate for the story, as is the diversity of worldviews. The stories are clever, funny, sad, tragic, inspiring, and always creative. Even the staging: Look at Patrick Jane's hideaway in the CBI attic. Astonishingly clever! And the sex and violence are always within reason for the story, never overdone. Almost no skin. Robin's underwear is utilitarian; Simon wears pajamas to bed. What kissing occurs is restrained. It's gentle and lovely, supported by background music that is the same. As for the sex scenes, there are very few but the way Simon Baker handles them makes them a work of art. Just watch his relationship with women, the haunting loneliness he cannot express, the subdued lust in the Erica Flynn episodes so tightly controlled you hardly notice. The one brief moment it surfaced has to be the most sensuous scene ever done, with almost no physical contact. The staging, directing, acting, lighting, dialog all worked together to create a theatrical masterpiece. And above all is the character of Patrick Jane that Baker created. Totally 3 dimensional. It unfolds gradually, revealing a complex childlike character, heartbreakingly lovable, compassionate and nonjudgmental, yet so driven by a need to avenge the murder of his wife and daughter that he never hesitates to commit cold blooded murder. (Watch "Blinking Red Light" where Jane struggles with his conscious and then sets up a killer to sign his own death warrant.) And none of this is the least bit melodramatic.
on October 17, 2012
I had pre-ordered The Mentalist Season Four as soon as it became available. I already owned the previous 3 seasons and was completely satisfied with them. Season four lived up to my expectations. I like being able to watch any episode I chose, without commercials. The quality of the DVDs is excellent and you can make the picture full screen and close captioning is available. I enjoy watching the episodes and often find something I missed when I first watched it on TV. I will be pre-ordering Season Five as soon as it is available
on February 13, 2013
Seasons I - IV should come complete with a notice from the Surgeon General's Office: "Warning. THE MENTALIST may be addictive to anyone unfamiliar with great television."

"Well" (I hear you thinking), "maybe just ONE season." Fool not yourself, Gentle Viewer. Simply bite the bullet and buy all four. Today. Right now. For one thing, they are a joy to watch sans commercials.

I'm sure those who've managed to find their way here unaided know enough about the cast and particulars to go on with, and they have probably already figured out that the show is stunningly brilliant. Yes, it is Sherlock Holmes in modern garb with a twist, but it is so much more.

THE MENTALIST, in fact, lays almost every icon and cliché of the whole mystery/crime genre on its ear, and, in some cases, goes them one better. Just one "for instance" will suffice (half the fun is searching out the others): there are two variations (so far) on MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS. In addition, there are elements from many and diverse television dramas of the past, from THE FUGITIVE and PERRY MASON to STAR TREK. Yes, STAR TREK (Kimball Cho as Spock?). Bruno Heller knows - as did Gene Roddenberry - that an audience needs a cast they can care about, which means a group of well developed characters who care about each other.

I'm not sure Mr. Heller did all this on purpose, mind you, but the fact is that some of THE MENTALIST episodes - to say nothing of the seasons themselves - have as many layers and contain as many traditions as the HARRY POTTER novels, including Jane Austen's penchant for misdirection, but it is certainly great fun thinking along those lines whether or not.

And really, what more can we ask. The series IS great fun. Treat yourself and buy it. Watch it with friends who are unfamiliar and not yet addicted. You will NOT be sorry.
on May 21, 2016
Not as much fun as season three...they've lost their way a bit. Maybe it's taking too long to catch Red John. Since I have already watched the entire seven seasons three times, I know it will pick up as time goes on. It's still preferable to 90% of the programming being produced.
on May 22, 2014
I'm in the process of re-watching (or watching, as I come across a few episodes I haven't seen) the entire series. It is fun; even as the show develops it retains a basic consistency: with a few exceptions, it is not too bloody; the regular characters are consistent in personality and some are sufficiently intriguing; the scripts tend to be good; weak scenes are sparse, bad episodes even sparser; some recurring guests (Malcolm McDowell in particular) add spice to the show; some episodes are fun. Quite nicely, the creators even manage to weave a 'happy ending' or two into a generally serious murder mystery series -- without ruining the tone.
The producers have managed to create a perfectly outrageous character in Patrick Jane and, thanks to some good acting, make him believable.
on June 21, 2015
A great story line with a great cast. The twists and turns are fun to follow and they make it look like anybody could easily learn how to do detective work. A memory palace is a wonderful idea and can be easily learned and is especially helpful for when you start getting older. I am now 70 and need all the help I can get so the show is educational as well.