|Lois J. Zachary and Lory A. Fischler|
- Work more effectively with your mentor, so that you can build your skills, knowledge, abilities and expand your thinking.
- Build trust in your mentoring relationships.
- Create mentoring relationships that benefit the mentor and the mentee.
- Become more proficient at articulating and clarifying your learning goals.
- Establish agreements that keep the relationship on course.
- Learn when it would be most valuable to engage in a mentoring relationship.
- Increase your capacity to ask for and receive feedback.
- Explore new types of mentoring.
- Understand when and how to come to closure in your mentoring relationship.
- Find out what it takes to mentor someone else.
From the Inside Flap
"Life is an adventure and The Mentor's Guide generates excitement and energy for the journey. Full of pragmatic, comprehensive ideas for those whose passion is developing leaders, it is guaranteed to be all you will need to cultivate a fruitful and fun mentoring journey. The adventure begins and Ands within these pages!"
--Carrole A. Wolin, president, National Institute for Leadership Development
"Zachary has written a comprehensive and accessible review of the complex and sometimes contradictory process of mentoring. She conceptualizes mentoring as a relationship of adult learning and complements this analysis with numerous illustrations, exercises, and suggestions for good practice. Written in a conversational ye t critical way, and full of recognizable vignettes, The Mentor's Guide is a wonderfully helpful compAndium of ideas and resources that can be read profitably by novice and experienced mentors alike."
--Stephen Brookfield, distinguished professor, University of St. Thomas, Minneapolis
"Zachary shares stories, strategies, tips, and tools that demystify the most elemental form of informal learning and provides resources for taking the mentoring relationship to a deeper level of fulfillment."
--Victoria J. Marsick, Teachers College, Columbia University
"This guide goes beyond simply establishing a framework for a successful mentoring experienceand providing some helpful 'how tos.' It is a compendium of virtually everything we know on making a mentoring relationship or program successful."
--F. Richard Lennon, vice president and chief information officer, Nordstrom, Inc. Thoughtful and rich with advice, The