Top 10 Reasons Why The Mentors Guide, 2nd Edition, Will Help You Be a Better Mentor
|Author, Lois J. Zachary |
1. It has practical relevance beyond mentoring relationships.
2. It offers guidelines for engaging in must-have mentoring conversations.
3. It will increase your understanding about generational differences and help you understand which approaches you need to take in facilitating the learning of your mentee.
4. Reading it is a professional development tool; it will assist you in mentoring more effectively and growing in the role as a mentor.
5. It is grounded in solid knowledge of how adults learn and addresses how topics such as emotional intelligence, transformational learning, and self-directed learning play out in a mentoring relationship.
6. You will learn about the many different configurations of mentoring relationships and how to facilitate them.
7. The emphasis on the context of difference will change your thinking about mentoring forever.
8. Interactive exercises and relevant examples help bring the four phases of mentoring alive.
9. It combines reflective exercises with readily implementable strategies for success.
10. It reflects the evolution beyond simple phone conversations and reflects our use of email, social networking, Skype, and other technology-driven tools.
“What makes this book really shine are the example of dilemmas and successes of real-life mentoring pairs. It’s likely that all mentors and coaches have been in these situations – and Zachary deftly includes stories to bring these situations to life.”—Phaedra Brotherton
, T+D, November 2011