From the Back Cover
When author and pastor Eugene H. Peterson created The Message, he took the colloquial quality of the ancient Hebrew and Greek original text and put it into the American English language that people use in their workplaces and around the house. What makes The Message a unique translation of choice is it is written in verse-numbered paragraphs in a single-column format, making it like a novel. Passages that seem familiar will come alive with The Message.
The Message Study Bible combines this best-selling contemporary translation with personal insights from Peterson’s lifetime of studying the Word. With 640 study notes from his writings and sermons, contemplative readings and prayers, and a unique “Reading the Scriptures” essay, this study Bible gives readers a new appreciation for God’s Word.
[Set in Box]
• 640 notes from the writings and sermons of Eugene H. Peterson
• A topical concordance on eighty different subject matters
• Contemplative readings and prayers throughout the text
• Peterson's introductory essay “Reading the Scriptures”
• A comprehensive bibliography of Peterson’s writings
• Peterson's biography and the complete list of translation consultants for The Message
• Blank pages for personal notes and reflections
• Verse-numbered, single-column format, making The Message a true reading Bible
About the Author
EUGENE H. PETERSON is a writer, poet, and retired pastor. He has authored more than thirty-four books (not including The Message). He is Professor Emeritus of Spiritual Theology at Regent College in Vancouver, British Columbia. Eugene also founded Christ Our King Presbyterian Church in Bel Air, Maryland, where he ministered for twenty-nine years. After teaching at a seminary, he created The Message, a vibrant Bible paraphrase that connects with today's readers like no other.
It took Peterson ten years to complete. He worked not from any English text but from the original Hebrew and Greek texts to guarantee authenticity. At the same time, his ear was always tuned to the cadence and energy of the English spoken every day on the streets. He lives with his wife, Jan, in Montana.