on June 8, 2004
I've now been on the program since November 2001. Two-and-a-half years later, I'm absolutely convinced without a doubt that eating according to what your body needs is the way to go. There are some wacky negative reviews that are quite perplexing. It appears some people need 200 scientific double blind studies certified by the FDA to be believable. Give me a break . . .
Use your common sense. Wake up and eat a typical breakfast. Cereal & milk (carbs/sugar), toast & jelly (carbs/sugar), orange juice (sugar). Then an hour later ask yourself, how's your hunger & cravings? How's your energy? How's your concentration? How your mood? The next day eat the same, but add two scrambled eggs and cut out the OJ. Ask the same questions. Many people would feel better an hour later. Why? Added protein. How much should you add? That depends on what your body needs. Should everyone just add protein? Nope, we're all different. That's the whole point, but some people feel apparently feel threatened by this simple concept.
Who thought of it first? Who cares! William Wolcott has used about twenty-five years of data to help you zero in on a starting point; the rest is up to you.
As an endurance athlete (cycling coach), I can tell you that fueling your body is a huge key to success in sports. On the program I started eating more food, but better quality (whole/natural/organic . . . if I can't pronounce it, I try to avoid it). The result was dramatic. I've had clients follow the basic plan in the book and loose weight, but weight loss isn't the only goal. It is really a nutrition book, not merely a weight loss book. The nutritionist who I consult with always says that it is about "rebuilding your health."
Anyone who knows anything about physiology will tell you the body is an amazing and complex system that always strives for homeostatic balance. This program is about helping your body achieve that goal by fueling it with the macronutrient ratio (percent of carbs, protein, and fats), that is wants.
If you think this is about eating mostly animal protein, you're wrong. That is the Atkins diet; that some people do well on, some people don't change and some people do worse on. What explains that? Biochemical Individuality. How then do you figure out what to eat to balance your body? Eat according to YOUR OWN body's needs. Eat according to your metabolic type.
"Nothing is more important to your health than something you put in your body several times a day, every day of your life."
Want some common sense articles? Go to the chekinstitute.com site and look through the articles relating to eating. You want a more comprehensive plan? Buy Paul Chek's "How to Eat Move and Be Healty!"
If you want more detailed information about eating, check out Mercola.com. Buy Dr. Mercola's new book, "Dr. Mercola's Total Health Cookbook." Though I think his plan is sometimes more difficult, check out his credentials and tell me his opinion isn't worth considering.
If you want a wake up call, start reading the news about degenerative diseases, obesity, etc. There is a claxon bell ringing. If you don't hear it yet, you will.
What ever you do, don't let people with their own negative attitudes prevent you from spending $10 and having the chance to improve your life in dramatic ways. Rebuilding your health to be the best you can be is a journey and this is a great first step. The risk? $10.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 16, 2003
Having read all of the negative reviews on metabolic typing diet, I would like to shed some light on the criticisms of the book. I have, off and on, been studying customized nutrition for the last decade of my life. There are two critical questions to ask with regard to diet: 1) Is there a one-size-fits-all approach that works for everyone? And 2) If so, what is the best approach to customized nutrition?

To answer the first question one has to go no further than reading one of two books. Upon reading one of those books the open minded reader has no other rational conclusion to draw than the fact that everyone is unique and therefore there is no one-size-fits-all approach. The two books are Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston Price and Biochemical Individuality by Roger Williams.

The answer to the second question can be found by looking to see who has researched all of the available data on customized nutrition and put together a program that the average person can follow. William Wolcott is by far the leading authority on customized nutrition. He has read all of the recent discoveries and has also read what the pioneers in the field have written. In addition, he studied under William Kelley (a pioneer in the field of customized nutrition). He has come up with the most intelligible, comprehensive system available today for people to discover their metabolic type.

I am sure by now you are trying to reconcile the conflicting reviews on the book. Some criticize the book for lacking science or evidence for what is said in the book. Others say the book is excellent. I think a great deal of confusion lies in the assumption that his critics are making regarding the book's intended audience. His intended audience in the book is the masses of people in America. Those masses typically aren't very analytical or scientifically minded. If he had written the book to the scientifically minded he would have alienated a much larger audience, the average American. When I first read his book I was relieved to find that it was so easily understandable to a layperson. Yet when I dug deeper into William Wolcott and his organization Heathexcel I found the tremendous amount of science behind his work was second to none.

I highly recommend this book and believe the information in it to be absolutely life changing. If I had to choose this book or any other ten books combined on the subject of diet I would choose this book hands down. The book is worth every penny you will pay for it and more importantly it is worth the time you will invest reading it. There is more information on his web site healthexcel.com.

brettwbauer@hotmail.com
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 18, 2003
Let me state up front that I am not undertaking the Metabolic Typing studies, nor do I intend to, just am incorporating into my healing practice the protocol of what is undoubtedly nutritional wisdom that many will benefit from. I am a registered nurse with a specialty in nutritional studies. Unlike the few reviewers who gave the metabolic test to their friends to take, and discovered they were all the "Mixed-Type" metabolic profile, I have used this method in my healing practice and so far have found the opposite: That the Mixed types seem to predominantly come from those who hail from Mediteranean or Oriental/Asian ancestry, and that there were a significant number of Protein types, whose predominant ancestry hailed from Northern Europe. I have come across only one Carb type so far, an individual whose ancestry is in tropical climates. So far the clients following their metabolic type diet are losing fat when they do follow it, (per skinfold caliper testing and inches lost) and gaining weight and feeling symptomatic again when they consume too many foods from the other meal plans for the other metabolic types. (Mostly when Protein Types are eating foods better suited to the Carb Types, and fail to consume enough protein on a regular basis.)
The book is well written, not difficult to follow at all, is designed for the lay-reader, and I have also followed up and bought the books by the other researchers whom Dr. Wolcott mentions either inspired his interest, or who started the ball rolling a century ago in this direction. Some of Dr. Wolcott's work is incorporated in Ann Louise Gittleman's nutritional works as well, and she cites him as one of the sources for her advocating increased protein in her "Your Body Knows Best" book. Her Fat Flush Plan also incorporates increased protein, though is not a spin-off of either any of the meal plans here or of any of the higher-protein and fat diets like the Atkins diet. ALG is another well-respected nutritionist in the field.
Current research is continuously showing that people can lose weight and not increase their cholesterol levels or blood pressure when following a higher protein meal plan. This means that for those whose metabolic type thrives on this type of diet, they will do fine following a plan for that. For those whose metabolic type thrives on a higher carbohydrate diet, there is a meal plan for that too, of course. The mixed type can eat from both plans, but there is tons of valuable information about how foods are metabolized, how different nutrients react in different people.
I did not find the research either skimpy or underreported. The change in diet is not so radical for those who typically eat what their cultural group or ancestors typically ate. Many ethnic groups eat what their families ate for generations.
The USA nutritional information on which they based the food groups block of years past, and the food pyramid currently in use, is from studies of an African tribe who did not display cardiac disease. Their diet was about 60-65% carbs, and little fat, small amounts of protein. It was assumed that Americans would thrive on this type of diet, but most Americans at that time hailed from Northern European ancestry, and we began feeding the nation too many carbs, too many flour-foods, (pastas, breads, refined cereals) and of course combined those flour foods with sugar, cakes, cookies etc. What this book shows is that many indigenous groups eating high fat or high protein diets, also have no cardiac disease, or diabetes, or cancer, as long as they are following the diet of their ancestors, within reason. When these indigenous cultures come to America, or begin eating a diet similar to the Western influences of increased carb, sugar, and flour, they too develop diseases similar to the rates of Americans.
We grain feed our livestock, rather than range feed, so that the meat contains far less Omega-3 fatty acids, and it is the Omega-3s that signal the brain that the satiety from a meal has occurred. Consequently in the US we consume far larger portions of meat that still do not provide a sense of fullness. Luckily there are farms now devoted to range-fed livestock, poultry, eggs, and bakeries producing sprouted-grain and whole grain products.
Dr. Wolcott's method is just the tip of the iceberg for getting people onto a healthy nutritious regimen for themselves and their families. The whole food industry needs revamping, and parents and educators need to become involved so that nutritious food can be served to our children at home and at school, as they will be the ones to ensure that the food industry makes progess in the future.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 11, 2000
AT LAST: THE MISSING LINK

The Metabolic Typing Diet, by William Wolcott and Trish Fahey, is truly the most important nutritional book one can read to begin finding true and lasting health. How do I know? I am fortunate enough to have been following Mr. Wolcott's program for many years. After trying everything I could find from water fasting to the Hippocrates diet, to the Atkins high protein diet, I finally realized there was a missing link--I needed to know how MY body metabolizes. Fortunately, I came across Mr. Wolcott and his work. The metabolic typing diet, as put forth in the book, not only, I believe, saved my life, but has led to ever increasing health and energy. At 57 years of age, I am stronger and healthier than I was at 20, and feel better and better as I watch my friends and family succumb to the ravages and aches and pains of aging.

Observing myself and others following the diet, I have seen both big and small health problems fade away as we balanced our body chemistry by supporting individual metabolic needs. No diet works for everyone, but the RIGHT diet for a particular individual does exist through metabolic typing.

The Metabolic Typing Diet is truly the missing link on the nutritional information scene. Mr. Wolcott's work has been available to a fortunate few for years. I am so grateful to finally see this wonderful knowledge made available to the public.

Read it. It will change your life.

Betsy Hannah email: [...]
on October 13, 2003
I'd like to address some of the reviewers who rated this book poorly.
One reviewer writes: "And although the idea that we are genetically different may have plenty of merit, this book does not convincingly demonstrate that we are different to the extent that some people should eat a high-carb diet whereas others should eat a high-fat diet. That involves a radical genetic difference, indeed." Perhaps. But traditional and indigenous diets worldwide vary in fat content from well over 70% of calories (Aleutian natives) on down, and degenerative diseases are unknown among indigneous peoples. This suggests that there is, in fact, wide genetic variation in the diet requirements of humans. Secondly, there is not as much variation in the diets as Wolcott's names (Protein, Carbo, and Mixed) make it appear. There is a fairly large amount of carb in the Protein diet (more than, say, an Atkins or South Beach diet), and the Carbo diet includes a fair proportion of protein. Finally, all types are advised to avoid refined sugar and cut back on refined grains, which will aid in controlling insulin and blood sugar. The reviewer is critical of the book on this ground, but if he had read the book carefully, he would realize that these diets (because there are multiple diets presented in the book) *will* lead to improved insulin and blood sugar control.
To the vegetarian reviewer, and the reviewer with Epstein-Barr: I wonder if you followed Wolcott's tests properly. One of the major points of this book is that there is no one right diet for everyone. So, if you try one of Wolcott's suggested diets, and do not do well on it, perhaps you need to adjust it. That is exactly the point of the book. I'm having a hard time imagining why one reviewer writes that s/he did not do well "on all that animal protein," when only one diet in the book contains significant proportions of animal protein. The very fact that this reviewer found relief in a different diet, and that the vegetarian reviewer remains healthy on a vegetarian diet, only supports Wolcott's point that there is no one right diet for everyone.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This book really makes a lot of sense. My doctor recommended it to me, and he swears by it.
With this book, I've been able to identify my own metabolic type (it's not what I thought it was!) and I've realized some very important things about how my body works, and how it reacts to certain foods.
This is not a "simple" sort of fix. It takes some trial and error in the diet, to find out what is actually occuring with the body, and it's not as easy as Atkins or a low-fat diet. BUT, it's designed for each person's particular metabolism, and takes into account that some foods make some people sick, while they work well for others.
I recommend an interested person read through this book several times, and retake the test as you go along. I found that when I took the first test, I was not as aware of my body as I should have been. The results were different (and MUCH more effective) when I took the test again later, after working on the diet for a while.
I do think this is THE solution for people who have been struggling to find a diet that works.
on October 9, 2001
After spending several hundred dollars on Nutrition books that were worthless, and spending several thousand dollars on Nutritional Supplements that were near useless, I have found THE book on how to eat right.
The main point that this book tries to get across is that we are not all the same internally, so we can not all eat the same diet and expect to be healthy and balanced. While some can thrive on a vegetarian diet, others will become emaciated, weak, and sick.
The 65 Question Test on how to discover your Metabolic Type was the most interesting part of the book. The questions were easy to answer. On most of the questions, the answers were pretty obvious to me.
When you find your Metabolic type, there is a Q&A section for each type, a section devoted to each type, and a bunch of graphs, charts, and other neat things to help you along the way.
This book is FAR better than others like it. I have read "Biobalancing", "Eat Right For Your Type", and various other acid/alkaline, how to eat right books. The food charts are pretty much the same in all of these books, but The Metabolic Typing Diet actually tells us WHY we need to eat this way, and really goes into depth. The author even goes into why we should eat organic, how to go about removing toxic metals from our teeth, water, and cookware. It's a wonderful read. I urge anyone reading this to give this diet a shot. It's a guarantee you will be feeling and looking better than you ever have after adopting the methods within.
on June 21, 2000
I just finished reading the book, and as far as I'm concerned it's worth every penny. It really helps make sense of all the conflicting dietary theories on the market today. It's a simple, direct guide on how to take steps to achieve optimum weight and health. The theme throughout the book is to stay focused on your body's own unique needs. It explains that we are all genetically unique in the way we process our foods and utilize nutrients, and describes why a diet that may work well for one person may have a very negative effect on someone else. The book has a variety of self-tests for determining one's Metabolic Type, and provides the corresponding diets in detail: the Protein Type, Carbo Type, or Mixed type diets. Thus there isn't any guessing as to what you should eat. Now that I am eating according to my Metabolic Type I feel more energized and less hungry. I particularly like the fact that the book is based on solid scientific research that has been around for a long time. It doesn't come across as a lightweight, trendy, pop science.
on January 28, 2000
This book will be helpful for people who want to understand nutrition and metabolism in a way they can use. Instead of just saying "do this," Wolcott lays out a coherent system for understanding how people burn their food quite differently, and why "one man's meat" is literally "another man's poison." He offers a tool for finding your own spot on the playing field of metabolic functioning. Only then does he say, "If your body uses food in this way, do this; if your body uses food in that way, do that."
I am prejudiced; Wolcott's work saved my life. His program takes some effort to master and apply to your daily eating habits. The payoff is that you end up eating just the right things for YOU, and you will feel better than you thought possible.
I would expect that at first, this book will mainly be used by people working to recover from chronic illnesses or fatigue, on the one hand, and by athletes who need top energy production, on the other. In the big picture, it shifts our perspective from "one size fits all" nutrition to individual nutrition that really does fit. As this perspective spreads through the nutritional world, the average person is going to get much better advice, and everyone's health will benefit.
on March 27, 2000
After hearing about D'Adamo's "Eat Right 4 Your Type" blood typing diet from a colleague, I marched down to the brick 'n' mortar bookstore to find it...sold out, but I found this instead and am sure glad I did. And when I later surfed Amazon and saw there were 220+ reviews for ER4YT but only seven for this book - which in my opinion is much more comprehensive, and better written to boot - I was moved to take keyboard under fingers and scribe this, my first ever on-line review.
Like most people who'd be found browsing in the "Diet" section, I've been dealing with various (over)weight management issues for as long as I can remember. Previous seminal influences on my thinking about eating have been "Diets Don't Work" and Dr. Atkins - a program I've been following with moderate success for over three years (maintaining about 1/3 of my original weight loss even while deviating fairly frequently from Atkins' strict low-carb model). So in that sense it was not too surprising to take Wolcott's self test and learn that my answers overwhelmingly classified me as a "Protein Type."
Where this book adds tremendous value for me, aside from shedding light on why the Atkins diet worked well for me, is the customization aspect. Disdaining the "magic bullet" concept, Wolcott stresses that determining your ideal diet requires YOUR participation. Taking the self-assessment test in the book to determine your basic metabolic type is just the first step - you then need to fine-tune an ideal eating plan on your own. But you're given a step-by-step process as well as numerous useful tips for doing so.
Inspired by this book, I've started keeping a detailed food 'n' mood log and in just a few days have learned an absolutely amazing amount about my mind, body, and their dance with food.
Highly, highly recommended...no matter what shape your stomach's in.