5.0 out of 5 stars The best show on television
Published on April 16, 2010 by Steven MccArty

3.0 out of 5 stars Not at all like Malcolm In The Middle
I bought this thinking it would be a good take off of Malcolm in the Middle, but I was very disappointed. I could only watch one episode. I think this is directed more towards younger audiences and that's probably why I didn't find it amusing
Published 17 months ago by K wood

5.0 out of 5 stars The best show on television, April 16, 2010
This review is from: The Middle: Season 1 (DVD)
I thought it would be impossible for another show to nail the family life experience the way "Everybody Loves Raymond" did previously. But after watching ABC's "The Middle" I realize how "sitcom" that earlier show was. My family shares the exact same dynamic of the Hecks; the same distribution of kids in the same ages and genders. More than that, "The Middle" portrays an honesty that a regular studio audience sitcom could never convey.

Unlike the over hyped "Modern Family," this show doesn't play to stereotypes, but has its finger on how children actually behave and the realities of middle class life without being sarcastic, mean, or condescending. It's as though real people sneaked into Hollywood and produced this show. The cast is spot on and Patricia Heaton shows she can easily lead a series all on her own.

My family never misses "The Middle" and are happy to see it doing well in the ratings. Let's hope it stays on the air for years to come; can't wait to own this series on DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite TV series since Friends, December 29, 2009
This review is from: The Middle: Season 1 (DVD)
I've waited a long time to really love a television show since the greats; Friends and Frasier. ;o) Finally here comes The Middle. My husband and I have not missed an episode nor will we. The moment it's out on DVD we are buying it. It's uniquely funny and I think a lot of full time working Moms will really "get it". The youngest child, Brick is lovable and hilarious and Sue the daughter is so akward you could cry and laugh at the same time. Kudos to the writers of this great comedy.

5.0 out of 5 stars love the show!, February 20, 2010
This review is from: The Middle: Season 1 (DVD)
i think this is one of the best new comedies. i love it and cannot wait for the DVD release! a must buy for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Sit Com-I LOVE Brick, March 29, 2010
This review is from: The Middle: Season 1 (DVD)
The little kid on this show is just wonderful, Brick. I am not a parent myself but he has utterly captivated me. He is an odd kid, doesn't fit into anyone's niche but that is what makes him irresistible. So even if the rest of this show was a disaster, I doubt I could give up seeing Brick each week. But the rest is not a disaster, just the opposite in fact. Patricia Heaton plays a middle class mother in Indiana holding it all together despite being the Mom in a family of true eccentrics. Between juggling her full duties as mother of three and wife, she also works at a car dealership where she is the absolute worst salesperson. Even if the economy were booming, I could not see her zooming ahead in this field. The other two kids are teenagers. The daughter, Sue, is awkard in the extreme but the soul of an optimistic good nature. Her older brother is every teen parent's model of apathy and cynicism. He could be the poster boy of the teenage years. The actor playing Mike the father also does a good job. He and Heaton mesh believably as a couple.

Visit my blog with link given on my profile page here or use this phonetically given URL (livingasseniors dot blogspot dot com). Friday's entry will always be weekend entertainment recs from my 5 star Amazon reviews in film, tv, books and music. These are very heavy on buried treasures and hidden gems. My blogspot is published on Monday, Wednesday & Friday.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best New Shows out there., March 31, 2010
This review is from: The Middle: Season 1 (DVD)
I am a Patricia Heaton fan. I have enjoyed her work since Everybody Loves Raymond. I loved the short lived show she did with Kelsey Grammar a couple years ago called "Back to You." I was so mad when it was cancelled. Then came "The Middle." This show is a gem. I love Brick, the little guy with an inquisitive mind and that oddball way he repeats his comments to himself in a whisper. I love Axel and Sue. Each kid has their own unique personality. And Heaton and Neil Flynn are great as the parents. The stories are quick, smart and endearing. The focus is family togetherness in a small Indiana town. I even get a giggle out of the Heck's horribly gawdy decorated home. But they all love each other and their affection for one another is precious. I do hope this show stays on for a long time as it is high quality, original and a joy to watch. It is followed on Wednesday nights by "Modern Family", another great new comedy. ABC has finally hit two right out the ball park. I can't wait for their DVD releases.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Not the Middle, It's the Tops, June 27, 2010
Garth Wangemann (Milwaukee, WI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Middle: Season 1 (DVD)
I am not a big fan of TV sitcoms. The characters are unreal and don't speak the truth when it comes to family life. When a friend suggested this show I was skeptical to say the least. After one viewing I was hooked. The writing is true to life and the characters are real people who have flaws, but like most families, they make it work. Thank you to the producers for renewing my faith in the American sitcom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny to the core. A refreshingly, funny show., February 15, 2011
This review is from: The Middle: Season 1 (DVD)
This is one of those great sleeper shows that seems to live in the shadow of other shows on the air - mainly Modern Family: The Complete First Season which has been one of ABC's crown jewels. I am glad that ABC moved it to the front of their line-up and it is finally getting the recognition it deserves.

I was introduced to this show through a lunch conversation with my sister. She was laughing hysterically as she explained the various characters (example, whispering to herself when describing "Brick"). The show sounded interesting and I had always loved Patricia Heaton in Everybody Loves Raymond: The Complete Series, so I had to find this little advertised show and give it a watch.

It was LOVE at first sight! Even though I hadn't had the background of the show, I saw one or two episodes from season 2 and fell in love with the wonderful cast of characters. Brick, Sue, Frankie, Mike and Axl. A perfect blend of characters, the show is gut-wrenchingly funny.

After seeing 1-2 episodes I quickly ordered the first season on DVD so that I could catch up. This is one of the few shows where "out of the box" the series is funny. The first episode sets the framework up beautifully and does not leave the viewer wanting anything except more episodes. We watch these over and over and are waiting with baited breath for season 2 to hit DVD.

If you want a refreshingly funny comedy that is family friendly, this is it. The characters are clever and funny. I am hoping this series lasts many, many seasons. It's a winner!

5.0 out of 5 stars Patricia Heaton Shines!, September 5, 2010
This review is from: The Middle: Season 1 (DVD)
Patricia Heaton's talent was over-shadowed all the years she played second fiddle to Ray Romano. In The Middle, her talent really has a chance to shine. She carries the lead amazingly and is the perfect person to do so. Neil Flynn, who plays her husband on the show, is also the right actor for that part. He delivers his lines in a funny, typical fatherly way! Eden Sher, is the teenage daughter, but over-plays her part quite a bit. Still, she comes across loveable and funny. Charlie McDermott, the lazy teenage son, also tends to overact, but he, too, still makes you laugh. And, of course, Atticus Shaffer, playing the youngest son, has a way of stealing your heart and making you want to see more of him.

Whoever is responsible for casting does a marvelous job of selecting actors to play the additional characters in the episodes. Watching each one a second time around made me laugh twice as much, because I picked up funny lines I can't believe I missed the first time. This show has good writers with excellent material, and if you want to laugh - and laugh some more, this is the series to watch. It is TOO funny for words!

4.0 out of 5 stars Has Potential...., August 27, 2010
J. Janssen (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Middle: Season 1 (DVD)
I found this show by accident during the summer repeat season and initially thought it interesting but a little flat. It wasn't ELR nor even (the cancelled way too early) "Back to You". It's different from Patricia Heaton's earlier shows, but makes up for the lack of fireworks with a subtle social undercurrent that runs through the episodic plot lines. Never grating or in your face, you never forget that the Heck family is living the day to day struggle to hang onto a middle class lifestyle that is tragically slipping away from so many in the real world.

The title itself is sly and descriptive meaning either middle class, middle age, mid-America or mid-point in Heaton's career depending on how one wants to interpret it. The plot lines are a little predictable and bland, but the cast, is more than up to the task of raising the scripts to a higher level than they deserve. The kids are suitably nutty enough to endear them to viewers without their personalities reaching the cloyingly sweet level. The quarry closing where "hubby" worked, the kids need to fit in and "Frankie's" daily grind of holding it all together present a charming and realistic sit-com that has great potential to become a staple for years to come. My only reservations are some of the weaker scripts and whether or not this show will be allowed the time to "blossom". If ABC has any brains left in it's corporate offices, they'll give it the time.

UPDATE: Fortunately "The Middle" has been given time to mature and has taken on a "Rosanne for the 21st century" patina which wears pretty well as the ratings seem to be up. "Mike" is back at work and they've dropped quite a bit of the social commentary and focused on the dysfunctional family story lines which is probably what network TV viewers want to see. The two younger kids ("Brick" and "Sue") have emerged as standouts and portray a comic reality not seen in sitcoms since the emergence of Bart Simpson and the Bundy kids 2 decades ago. Not the greatest comedy ever broadcast, but enjoyable and quirky.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids and grown-ups, August 17, 2010
This review is from: The Middle: Season 1 (DVD)
I have 3 boys ages 10, 7 and 6. They love The Middle as much as I do. Finally! A prime time show the whole family can watch without having to provide explanations about the sexually explicit content (2 1/2 Men, for example) or occasional swear words. Axel reminds my boys of their older cousin, Sue reminds me of me, and all the kids have started the Brick-whisper after watching the DVRed shows over and over. My pre-order is in and we can't wait until season 2 begins.

The Middle: Season 1
The Middle: Season 1 by Patricia Heaton (DVD - 2010)
$44.98 $27.00