5.0 out of 5 stars Made My First Year In Real Estate a Huge Success!
Published on July 15, 2004 by Cheryl Sellers Johnson

3.0 out of 5 stars A business guide only!
If your looking for a book to teach you how to become a Real Estate agent, prospecting, scripts that work etc., then this is not the book for you. This book gives a model to follow, a business plan on how to run your real estate career as a business. It stresses how to think, what to think and how to stay structured as your

business grows. There are no real...
Published on December 8, 2004 by R. Dolio

5.0 out of 5 stars Made My First Year In Real Estate a Huge Success!, July 15, 2004
I found this book on Amazon when I was just starting out in Real Estate. I read many of the how-to books because I wanted and needed to hit the ground running in my new career. This book, by far, was the most information-packed and practical guide to starting a real estate business. (By the way, another excellent book is "How to Become a Power Agent in Real Estate" by Darryl Davis).

I am an attorney and before starting my real estate career, I had my own law practice; and before that, I had my own computer consulting company-both successful ventures. I approached real estate from a businessperson's perspective and this book definitely speaks to the serious businessperson. There are so many books and articles telling new agents where to spend their time and money that by the time the agent figures out what works and what doesn't, they have spent their entire budget and an entire year, and have not made enough money to move on. That's why 70% of new agents drop out of the field by the end of their second year.

This book helps agents, new and seasoned, stay focused on the bottom line. Moreover, it answered the most important question for me--If I need to generate $80,000 in income per year (salary, not gross commissions), what activities do I need to do and how much will it cost me?

So many of the other books and articles claimed to have the winning formula by telling you that you must knock on 50 doors per week and make 50 cold calls per week to generate business. Their theory is that it must be painful if you are to be successful.

This book, however, gives you lists of ideas and says if you do "x" number of activities from this list, you can expect to receive "x" number of transactions per year. YOU get to pick which activities you perform (if you don't like knocking on doors, pick another activity--it does not have to be painful for you to be successful).

The other books tell you that you must know a lot of people--friends and family--and that you MUST call and hound them in order to get business. This book, alternatively, says that if you do not know a lot of people (if you are new to an area) or if you don't want to call your friends and family and beg for business, you don't have to. It gives you the formulas so that you can determine how much marketing you have to do with the "people I haven't met yet" group to generate the same results as you would have with your "friends and family" group.

Using this book as a business modeling guide, I closed just under $3 million in volume in my first year; and just over $7 million my second year. By my 3rd year in real estate, I had already broke through the $6 million volume cap that many seasoned agents hit as a glass ceiling and cannot move beyond. My manager with my first real estate company (Long & Foster) was hostile to my business model because she didn't understand it and because I was taking control of my own career. She wanted me to follow her formula and she wanted me completely dependent on her for my success (even though she never provided me with leads!)

Then Keller Williams came to Maryland! (Gary Keller, the author, founded Keller Williams to empower real estate agents to run their own successful businesses). I joined Keller Williams and now I am surrounded by agents and brokers who realize that the business is mine and that the broker's role is to support my success. They do not believe, like so many other companies, that the agent's role is to make the broker rich. This is obvious by the fact that they offer one of the highest commission splits in the industry, without charging a monthly "desk fee," and they share the profits with their agents! And their entire culture is based on the "Millionaire Real Estate Agent" business models.

If you are serious about approaching real estate as a business, you must read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Real Deal, Can't Recommend Highly Enough, July 16, 2003
After reading this book three times through I'm struck with one overriding sense, "OK, this guy gets it". Can one book successfully sum up what's needed for a successful real estate career.....yes.
I've been a real estate broker for 11 years and I've been to and heard just about every major "real estate trainer" out there: Wickman, Buffini, Stumpf, Kennedy, Ferry, Knox, Droz, DeLuca, etc. What they all offer are specifics of how they were successful realtors in their time. Which is really helpful, but what sets this book apart is that Keller looks at the challenge of treating your real estate sales career like a business. There is real wisdom here, not just about having a "successful" real estate career, but life balance, and personal fulfillment through our real estate business.
I know a number of other agents who have read this book and one thing I've heard a few times is "I wish something like this was around when I got into the business", which are exactly my thoughts. Keller has kind of a tough love approach to spelling out exactly what is involved in true mastery as a realtor producing at a very high level. Another thing I find interesting is that this book could be about any industry, any career. The disciplines and business concepts he describes are universal.
Keller starts with the open questions of essentially "what would it take for an agent to succeed at a really high level, and let's use a million dollars as a kind of random goal." He then builds with 1) finding the motivation within to climb this mountain, 2) How to earn a million, 3) how to net a million, 4) how to receive a million in passive income (a true business owner), and finally 5) how to put it all together with the key of focus driving your business.
Keller has a direct common sense outlook and writing style which I found refreshing.
This book applies to the new agent as well as a realtor who is already producing at a high level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Have a successful business AND a life + security for the future, September 28, 2006
Amazon Customer (San Antonio, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Millionaire Real Estate Agent: It's Not About the Money...It's About Being the Best You Can Be! (Paperback)
My sales went from $2.7 million in 2004 to $8.5 million in 2005. Now we're heading to towards $12 in 2006. Hot dog!

But it's not about the money! It's about being the best I can be. I have more time for my friends, family, and I am out of town enjoying myself about 8 days per month. Mostly weekdays... And I have the security of knowing that I am on-track for the business to run itself while I am unavailable for vacation, semi-retirement, or if something happens to me. (!!)

All it took was the change of MINDSET and mode of operating that I learned from The Millionaire Real Estate Agent: It's Not About The Money.

Gary Keller gives you the formula for success in Real Estate. MREA (Millionaire Real Estate Agent) DOES have plans to help you make more money. YOU identify what you want your Net Gross Commission Income to be, and how many weeks per year you want to work. KELLER shows you how to draw a map from that future goal, backwards, to where you are now. Then you can start your journey, step by step, to success. Simple.

Keller likens your approach to becoming a successful agent to training for your first marathon. If you had set your goals for only 10 miles, you would work long and hard and painfully to hit that mark in a few months. However, if you had set your goals more long-term to run the full 26.2 miles AND had a plan to get there, you would be breezing through that 10-mile mark with ease and grace. It would have been a foregone conclusion that you would have that 10-mile level of success.

The marathon is a great metaphor for real estate. How far can you run or walk comfortably right now? 1 mile? 3 miles? If you got up early and ran or walked and ate right and had a plan, you know that you be able to run or walk farther, faster AND you would probably be in the best shape of your life. The confidence and success you would feel would spill over to your improve your personal life.

Think of each mile as $1 million in production. $1-3 million is attainable by accident. After that, you need a plan.

Unlike the marathon, you don't have to get up and do a bunch of stuff you weren't doing before. You are going to be doing the same real estate stuff you were doing already, just a little differently. Ultimately, you get to sleep in!

By the way, my clients love the service they get from The Joe Barfield Group and they are delighted with their results... That feels good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Applicable, Readable, January 19, 2004
Ill keep this short cause I see my opinion is shared by many other reviewers, but I found this book to be both inspiring and applicable, and much better than other real estate books Ive read, whether you are a seasoned realtor or a rookie. Heres why:
1. Unlike other real estate books Ive read, its not full of fly by night "creative" ideas that may or may not work. Ive read several books that want to spend all there time talking about everything from FSBO's to borderline deceptive approaches. This book gives you more of ground up approach and encourages the reader to discover his own techniques for producing listings.
2. Most real estate books Ive read are either too broad, or too specific. This book blends the two nicely, giving solid principles to form your practices on, and good ideas to sharpen your techniques, suggesting PRACTICAL ways of determining which methods work for you. Furthermore, it is NOT based SOLELY on what worked for the author, the information is based on empirical data gathered from the most successful realtors in the country. Very scientific approach.
3. This book goes beyond how to close the deal with John Customer and talks about how to build a business from the ground up, and what to do on the way there.
4. Finally, it gives dozens of histories of successful realtors which are fun and interesting to read.

I highly recommend this book to anyone in the real estate sales field. Good read, inspiring, interesting, and practical.

3.0 out of 5 stars A business guide only!, December 8, 2004

business grows. There are no real practical ways shown on how to get business or any sample letters or practical advice that is proven, it just states that it is a numbers game, and you have to stay focussed and go for it. I was dissapointed in this book. The reviews I read about it were misleading. They stated that this is the only book you would ever need and it is the complete authority on becoming a real estate agent. It is not, as I stated it is just a business model not a teaching tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Different Perspective: a Long-term Business Strategy rather than a How-to Manual, April 7, 2013
I found that after reading all the stellar 5 star reviews and all the 1 star reviews, that this book seems to either hit the right chord or not with people. If you are a newbie in RE, don't expect this book to do anything for you NOW. It does not have strategies for establishing your practice or making you the belle of the RE ball, so to speak. It is not a book for now unless you are well into your career and find the managing of subordinates (and when to hire those subordinates) a tricky proposition. It is designed to look far, far into the future where, when you start making some serious cash, you can build your own teams and you can live on your own income passively. (The whining reader who didn't like that the Keller comes from Keller Williams is obviously nursing some sour grapes and maybe not aware of their incredible profit-sharing program, where you CAN earn money passively. Kind of a cool idea, when you think about it.) Also, keep in mind that this book talks about the organization of your business as you start to make more money in RE, about the development of teams, which is a relatively new construction in the RE Industry. And I completely agree about the gaping hole of "help" that the book lacks in giving advice for newbie agaents. It will not help you get a better sense of how to manage your industry. It was not designed to do so. This book is first and foremost a long-term business plan approach to creating, maintaining, and retiring with wealth in the RE industry. I quite enjoyed the different perspective! There are already so many of those books like that on the market, they are easy to trip over. I have not come across anything else like this book so far in my reading and I have been pretty fanatical about it. Saying that sounds odd, but until you are sitting in an RE agent's shoes FULL TIME you have no idea how much business acumen and a long-term business strategy becomes important if you want to be in the industry long-term. Of course, you can discover other strategies that might work better for you. After all this is just a guide written from the perpsective of a man who created an entire company in the RE Industry. You don't have to like his approach, no problem. But here's the thing: I am 100% positive this business model works -- not because of my own success since I am also a newbie just starting out -- but because of the unbelievable success of other agents who employ several people on their teams, freeing up their own time for lead generation. I have seen it first-hand. So if you want help with the day-to-day aspects of RE, this book is NOT for you. If you want something that teases the possibility of something greater in the business world for a future date, then maybe have an open mind while reading it.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent step by step plan to run a succesful real estate business, January 20, 2006
I Actually recieved this book with the online course for my state license (Californialicense.com). At first I couldn't figure out why, because it had NOTHING to do with passing the state test, but now agree that it should be REQUIRED reading for all new agents. Yes, it starts out a little dry, especially if you're new to the real estate business, but by halfway you're wondering why they don't have these step by step books for ALL businesses. It answers alot of good questions that I have yet to see even asked in other RE books. Gary Keller gives advice, motivation and real, practical examples that make your goals not only attainable, but realistic.

If you're serious about making it big in the RE business, rather than just making a living, do yourself a favor and buy this book, apply the models, and refer back to it often!!

John

5.0 out of 5 stars a must for anyone at any level of real estate, January 2, 2006
are you an investor? a salesman? whatever your position may be in the real estate field, you owe it to your self to read this book! there are a few staples, and this is one of them. I am an agent at the top producing office in a southern california area and i was number 69 out of 70 agents. by year end i am now at 40, and this was only my first year! i will read it again and you should do the same! Burt Bakman

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish this book had been around when I started my career., April 25, 2003
While there are plenty of books out there about personal success, they're more often helpful through motivation than methodology. Gary Keller's approach is more analytical. The elements of succeess are explored systematically, and clearly communicated in the book with plenty of helpful illustrations. I found the writing style very easy to read. Overall I'd say this book is probably one of the best of its kind. I'd recommend it highly to anyone in the real estate business, but it really has a broader application as well, to success in general and the way you approach life and its challenges. A good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank goodness most agents are lazy and stupid otherwise this book could create some tough competitors, December 7, 2010
*** disclosure *** this review was written by a competitor to Keller Williams, the author of this review has no association with Gary or his companies.

Damn you Gary!

What can I say this book is awesome. If you are in real estate and in it because you want to create a great business this is an unbelievable resource. If you don't want the headaches of running your own team this is still valuable because you will understand the concepts and then you can go work for a great team, making great steady income with less stress and probably less hours. If you live in San Diego email me and I will hire you.

I literally have taken notes while reading this book and are implementing the core strategies.

I think this is the perfect book for new and old agents alike. If you are new you probably won't be able to implement this right away but it will give you the most valuable tool anyone could give you.... A direction. If you are an old agent and living month to month, then put down your BMW or Cadillac keys and Starbucks Latte leave your ego at the door and get cracking on the gems that are in this book.

Honestly, the only mistake I think Gary made was publishing this book. He probably has created one or two significant competitors with his insights. I plan on surpassing his company and ironically with the information and direction from this book he lowered my timeline from 15 years to 5 years.

If you are a go-getter, I sincerely hope you don't buy this book because it means we might end up being competitors, and who knows perhaps you will execute better than me and I will need to ask you for a job. If you are like most agents I have run into lately than go right ahead and buy it, I know it will collect dust on your bookshelf right next to your Tony Robbins tapes and dvd of The Secret and I don't have to worry about one more knowledgeable competitor.

I hate to put more money in Gary's pockets but seriously this is the BEST book for agents and brokers that I have ever seen. Stop reading reviews, get out of your analysis paralysis and drop the best 15 dollars you ever spent.

$24.00 $12.71