4.0 out of 5 stars Not sure about miracle, but they helped me
Published on May 3, 2012 by Yoojin Kwak

3.0 out of 5 stars these were ok
Published 3 months ago by ccarli62

4.0 out of 5 stars Not sure about miracle, but they helped me, May 3, 2012
This review is from: The Miracle Ball Method for Pregnancy: Relieve Back Pain, Ease Labor, Reduce Stress, Regain a Flat Belly (Paperback)
Around week 23, I started experiencing some bad lower back pain. I was in constant pain sitting down, standing up, walking around, and sleeping, I became pretty desperate. Yoga helped some, stretching helped some, trying to keep a better posture helped some, but nothing relieved the pain completely. After searching around, I found this book/ball combination and immediately after doing "Back on Ball" I felt much better. Resting on that ball felt better than any of my husband's massages. My prenatal masseuse won't even touch my lower back, only my shoulders, so this was the first 'relief' I've felt.

The book you get is a small 4x4 inch book. There are lots of pictures, so the poses weren't hard to imitate. I wish they had come in DVD form, maybe with a routine so that I wouldn't have had to read while learning the poses, and it would do the timing/repetitions for me. The balls are around the same size, and are a squishy rubber texture, not unlike a mini exercise ball, but the material feels sturdy. The book is organized into 7 chapters - an intro chapter, breathing, ball poses, stretches that don't use the ball, pregnancy problems and which exercises to do for them, reshaping your body after birth, and postpartum exercises.

The book seems to be geared more for people early on in their pregnancy or those trying to get pregnant to do to prevent these issues from occurring. I started late in my second trimester, but at least the lower back was helpful for me. The general thought behind them is that your body is clenched/tight and these balls in combination with breathing techniques will helped your body relax and let go.

As grateful that I am for this book and the balls, I'm giving it a 4 star review as I don't really think this method is completely appropriate for some pregnant women. Most of the ball exercises require you to be on your back. They do provide alternate positions to use if being on your back is uncomfortable, but I found these alternate poses much less effective, some to the point of being useless, especially the one that worked best for me. I also have shoulder and neck pain from my chosen profession - a computer programmer where I am typing on a computer 9 hours a day - and I don't think the poses they listed for this problem were that helpful. I'm also pretty skeptical about the claim that this is good for reshaping your body, I think there are much more effective exercise routines out there.

The problems this book claims to fix are - lower back pain, middle back pain, neck/shoulder, knee/foot, sciatic pain, poor posture, indigestion, leg cramps, nausea and morning sickness, sleeplessness, fatigue, headaches, TMJ, and uterine cramps. The also have a section on multiples, and labor and delivery. The only thing this fixed for me was the lower back pain, but that was my most unbearable symptom. I'm going to keep trying the other ones, and will update if anything changes.

As far as getting this version or the regular miracle ball, I would probably recommend getting this one first if you are pregnant. Since the worked so well for me, I am probably going to buy the regular version as well, to see if there is anything else there to help me with my other problems or my husbands'. I am definitely going to recommend this to my pregnant friends, although I will let them try my ball first. Amazon's return policy is so great, my advice to you would be to try it out and if it doesn't work for you, just return it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely should have bought earlier!!, February 16, 2014
At first it was awkward to use, but after a few minutes my body adjusted and it felt great. I am in my third trimester so laying down for more than a few minutes is exceedingly uncomfortable, but the hip relief that the balls provide is totally worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I believe in miracles... since you came along, you sexy thing!, August 9, 2014
Not pregnant, just wanted the purple ones. I am a major skeptic when it comes to "miracle" cures - so I was really, really shocked after I tried using miracle balls. When a terrible college mattress, hours of hunching over homework, and hauling heavy books across campus turned my back into one massive knot of constant, piercing pain, I figured I had nothing to lose, and gave this a try. I don't know what it is about laying with a squishy grapefruit under your tailbone that makes everything stop hurting, but it really truly does. I only rarely did the exercises from the book - mostly I'd just lay on the floor with a miracle ball under my tush while I did the assigned reading for class the next day - but even irregular use did wonders. I'd rave about them to my fellow collegiate sufferers, and they'd look at me with these hugely skeptical looks on their faces. So I'd lend them a ball... and never get it back. (This is my second pair - I started out with the original turquoise ones.) I no longer have to sleep on that misery-inducing mattress, so my back is much happier in general, but my miracle balls will always be my go-to remedy whenever my back or shoulders hurt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Miracle Ball, December 21, 2012
Love this! I enjoy using the balls to help reach the areas that the foam roller can not! They have helped relieve some pains already!

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a Miracle!, September 27, 2011
B. Carrigan (Colorado Springs, CO USA) - See all my reviews
I received this from goodreads.com First Reads giveaways. I entered this contest in anticipation of getting it for a friend and luckily I got it! She has already started to use it and says that "It IS definitely a MIRACLE!!" She was able to sleep through the night after an afternoon of trying out several of the exercises. I might just have to get it back from her IF I ever become pregnant :)

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, June 27, 2014
These are great when you are in pain. I last on them at least an hour or so daily. I bought 2 sets.

3.0 out of 5 stars these were ok, May 17, 2014
My physical therapist used the regular miracle balls during one of my sessions after my first son was born and it really helped to get rid of the knots in my back from carrying around a huge baby. The pregnancy balls were delivered and felt like they were not inflated properly and didn't have the same impact as the regular miracle balls. I would suggest getting the regular ones and doing an online search for using the miracle balls during pregnancy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Enjoyable, December 31, 2013
REB "Diva Luna" (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Simple, effective, and enjoyable. Lots of interesting exercises for all body parts. I keep it handy to use first thing in the morning!

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps muscles relax, November 14, 2013
Very helpful to get those tight muscles to relax and feel better! Read the book that is enclosed. Stick to the program. What a difference!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good - but the book could be better, October 24, 2013
These have helped a lot with my sciatica & lower back tension, but I find that the book isn't as helpful as I would like. I tend to just find placement that works feels like it's helping & ignore the book. The book is small, and too wordy to really use while trying the balls - I would love if they had a DVD or something with better instructions.

$19.95 $15.80