5.0 out of 5 stars On "The Ph Miracle For Diabetes"
Published on August 8, 2004 by William j Mitchell

3.0 out of 5 stars Save money and buy the first book
Published on September 9, 2004 by Lisa M.

3.0 out of 5 stars Save money and buy the first book, September 9, 2004
I was in the bookstore yesterday and had the option of buying The pH Miracle or the The pH Miracle for Diabetes, and I got The pH Miracle for Diabetes because I suffer from insulin resistance. Much to my surprise, The pH Miracle for Diabetes comes out and says that you should read The pH Miracle for a more detailed explanation of the program and how to implement it, and in fact The pH Miracle for Diabetes includes references to recipes that are only included in The pH Miracle. The first 54 pages of the book expound upon the nature of diabetes, but I just wanted to get on with the program and found plowing through this part difficult. Pages 55-163 detail the program, and the rest of the book (pages 164-333) consists of recipes, an idex, a list of resources for the various products recommended and a reference section. I haven't read The pH Miracle, so I don't know how much of The pH Miracle for Diabetes is needed by a diabetic. It does go over monitoring blood sugar and dealing with other issues that arise for the diabetic patient. But if that information is covered in the first book, save your money and skip this one. I am a propronent of the acid/alkaline view of health, but only gave this one 3 stars because of the reliance on the first book. It could easily have been made into a 100-page book that was less expensive and thus saved me the money to buy the first book or one of the recipe books.

5.0 out of 5 stars On "The Ph Miracle For Diabetes", August 8, 2004
William j Mitchell (La Jolla, Ca United States) - See all my reviews
After reading "The Ph Miracle For Diabetes" I call that author a genius. I have been doing what he says to do, and my blood sugar ranges in the normal range, now. I had been diagnosed with diabetes in February 2003. I had been following Dr. Young's plan for health since the diagnosis, however, I really didn't know why it works. Now, I do. I do not take any prescription drugs. I have maintained a loss of 37 pounds over a year and a half, now, as a result of balancing the Ph factor in me. (This is another pointed phenomenon, too.)

It is remarkable and impressive how he defies what the medical "profession" believes, and he ventured out of the medical box of beliefs and discovered what really happens to cause diabetes. It is so clear and logical, that even I can understand, now.

"It is not a disease of the pancreas or the insulin producing beta cells or an autoimmune response, it is from the fluids which the pancreas cells are floating in."---Dr. Young

When the fluid is too acid, then the cells turn into a bacteria. He watched this transformation under his microscope. Then, he researched a diabetes scientist, from one hundred years ago, Dr. Bechamp, in the archives of books on the subject in the Medical Library in Paris. That French scientist had come to the same conclusion, that long ago, as Dr. Young had in this century. He studied Dr. Bechamp's findings and found them to be the same as his and saw the original drawings, which that scientist had made of the mutation of the pancreas cells transforming before his eyes, under his microscope. He said that it was an eerie feeling to see what that scientist had discovered was the same as he had recently discovered, as well. A hundred years ago, Medical Science went with Pasteur, who was wrong, according to Dr. Young.

Dr. Young states, "On the other hand with the Ph balance , the cells of the pancreas, insulin producing beta cells, and glucagon-producing alpha cells could and would function in perfect harmony, and the phenomenon of diabetes could not occur."

Dr. Young is endorsed by other medical doctors to be correct in his findings. He reads raw blood rather than blood with chemicals added for reading, the traditional medical school method. The addition of chemicals kills some of the cells which must be alive in order to read them properly.

This is an excellent book and very well written, so the that the layman can understand. The bottom line is that it works. Thousands of other diabetics, and I have kept our blood sugar level at a normal range by his method. That is to raise the alkaline level and lower the acid level, and the pancreas cells do not mutate into bacteria. The same acid pool blocks the pancreas' ability to secret insulin to counter act the extreme rise in the sugar level in the blood. The same acid pool causes cancer to grow in the pancreas. That is what my sister died of a year ago. From the same acid phenomenon, she had developed cancer of the pancreas. We could not persuade her to read on nor listen to Dr. Young. She had been trained as a Registered Nurse and was rigid in what she had learned in nurse training, years before. Dr. Young wrote her a letter explaining his findings in medical terms, so that she would understand. She, like so many medical doctors, was stuck in the narrow thinking of the "profession".

I am pleased with the method Dr. Young teaches and enjoy my blood sugar being normal and my weight down. I am overcoming the so-called hereditary dibetes syndrome.

"A cell is only as healthy as the fluids it is bathed in."---Dr. Young

Dr. Robert Young is a Doctor of Microbiology and specializes in the human body function. His specialty concentration is diabetes.

The same acid imbalance causes other diseases in our bodies. So, if we properly balance the acid to alkaline, we have more energy, and live a healthy and happier life.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Idea, January 9, 2007
The pH Miracle for Diabetes

By Robert O. Young, PhD, and Shelley Redford Young

Warner Books

© 2004

All persons who are diabetic, whether Type 1 or Type 2, or pre-diabetics ("impaired fasting glucose", meaning, BG readings from 110 - 126) like me, want to lead normal lives, eat "normal" things, be lethargic, and go about their business without regard to their BG readings. To place ourselves in such an arena, we all want a magic pill which will make us fit in with the lifestyles of 5/6th of the U.S. population. Unfortunately, no one has found such a pill, even though more and more books are written about the virtues of more and more pills, and new and improved dietary supplements.

Before I review this book, I must first give you a mini-review of The Acid Alkaline Food Guide, by Dr. Susan E. Brown and Larry Trivieri, Jr., Squareone Publishers, © 2006. This book gives a much more concise and better description of what pH balance is, how it affects your health, and the possible consequences of not keeping ones system "in balance". pH means "potential for hydrogen", a term used in chemistry, which indicates whether a solution, fluid or compound is acidic, alkaline, or neutral. pH can be measured in our bodies by testing saliva and urine or blood (pH strips are available for the first 2 tests), and if we have a heavy concentration of hydrogen in our systems, we are "acid based". The scale goes from 0 to 14; to be healthy, we should have slightly alkaline, oxygen-rich arterial blood (7.365 to 7.45 is ideal) - a reading of 7.0 is neutral.

Oxygen rich systems (alkaline based) neutralize formation of acids which might prove to be harmful. To help us stay in the neutral zone, our bodies use calcium and protein from bones, and possibly other places, to pump more alkaline to our systems in order to neutralize formation of acids, so as to keep us in balance. After the passage of time, if we fail to keep our systems in balance, and we become acid based, our bone formation will be reduced, calcium will be lost in our urine (leading to kidney stone formation), proteins will breakdown causing our muscles to waste away, our systems will be unable to repair cells, tissues and organs fully, our systems will age at an accelerated pace, more free radicals will be produced, we will be subject to increased fluid retention, and so forth.

The American diet is centered around foods that create acid-base systems. Dr. Brown lists about 70 pages of foods we eat, and rates them according to whether the food is alkaline-forming or acid-forming. The first time I read through the list, I determined that I could not eat any food without running the risk of forming more acids in my system. To remedy this, Dr. Young would have me become a vegetarian, but Dr. Brown has an easier solution: eat more dark green vegetables than any other food group. She doesn't require me to give up meat or eggs or nuts, so long as 2/3rd of my plate contains foods that are alkaline-forming (such as kale, collard greens, asparagus, snap green beans, etc.).

Dr. Brown explains the basis for her conclusions. Our bodies have 3 methods of getting rid of unwanted "poisons", or acid forming chemicals, all of which are filtered through our bodies:

First, our lungs supply our bodies with much needed oxygen (as we breathe in), and dispel (exhale) carbon dioxide (the "burned" waste from our system - an inference might be made that aerobic exercise helps cleanse our system, because it requires lots of heavy breathing, which gives us a double dose of oxygen; in turn the CO2 expels the oxidized stuff we don't need);

Second, our kidneys filter unwanted sugars, and other waste products which we don't need (we rid our systems through urine - a preventative measure we can take is to drink lots of pure, and hopefully ionized or ozone rich water, which will keep our kidneys healthy, as well as supply needed oxygen to our systems); and

Third, our skin filters out other things, through our perspiration (which is also produced through exercise).

With this background in mind, we can have a better understanding of what Dr. Young advocates in his book. He noticed the correlation between acid based systems and diabetes, and concluded that if our systems are neutral, or slightly alkaline, our blood sugars would be "normal". As I have been checking my pH balance every morning, which I do before checking my BG reading, I can generally predict what my BG readings will be. If my system measures 7.0, which is neutral, my BG readings are pretty good (98 to 107). If my pH balance is 6.5, my BG readings will be higher (113, 114).

Although Dr. Young's book does not explain the chemistry involved in the process, he nonetheless makes a very persuasive argument that by eating lots of green vegetables, and drinking pure water mixed with green powder (the "green drink"), diabetics can improve their BG readings. Throughout the book, there are very interesting testimonials, given by both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetics; all of them reported a marked improvement in their BG readings - once they began drinking green drinks, stopped drinking carbonated beverages, and changing their eating habits.

The "green drink" is simply a mixture of oxygenated water (which can be produced with an ozone machine, or by adding sodium chlorite drops to pure water) and a teaspoon of green drink powder (which is nothing more than powdered, ground vegetables). I usually have two drinks a day, instead of an extra cup of coffee in the morning and a Diet Coke in the afternoon (which I have now given up).

Dr. Young also requires us to exercise. He prefers aerobic exercise to anaerobic exercise. I have no quarrel with his observations, especially since I have a better understanding of the benefits of having more oxygen pumped through my lungs. Oxidation is a good thing as far as I am concerned, because it neutralizes unwanted hydrogen ions and other viruses. As a side note, I have switched from the treadmill to an elliptical trainer, which gives me a better, complete body workout in less time.

Half of Dr. Young's book consists of recipes, which are all vegetarian in nature. We have not tried any of them, for a number of reasons. First, Dr. Young assumes that food budgets are unlimited, even for those of us who do not live in California. Thus, we cannot eat avocados three or four times a day. Second, the ingredients used in the recipes (even by California standards) are very expensive.

As I am writing this review, I can report that my pH readings do bear some correlation with my BG readings. When my pH is 6.5, my BG readings are a bit higher than when my pH is 7.0 or higher. Because of the changed variables (new exercise regimen, taking 2 green drinks a day, watching my intake of fatty foods, eating more green vegetables), I cannot isolate one component as causing the improvement in my BG readings.

It would be wonderful to learn that an adjustment to our diets could rid us of the need for insulin, metformin, Avandia, and other such drugs. None of the books I have reviewed suggest that we remain idle - all of the authors want us to exercise regularly (which may turn out to be the most important component of all - a recent report indicated that the best preventative for Alzheimer's Disease was to do 3 hours of aerobic exercise a week - oxygen is needed in your brain, you know).

Dr. Young's book is worth owning. Before you purchase this recommended book, I suggest that you consider reading other resources on ph balances.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Revolutionart Diet Plan For type 1 and 2 Diabetics, January 28, 2006
The book, greatest purchase that you can have. It has helped out in the balance of food that can be eaten, it's simple to follow and it even stastes good. I have always had a problem with what to cook for myself, that is the toughest part about a diabetic. With this book you are watching the sugar intake, the acid intake and more. I do wish there were more recipes to choose from that are just as good as these. I want to thank Dr. Young and his wife for doing all the research and providing everyone with facts. I have been a diabetic for 22 years and the change in my food without the acid is unreal to believe. This was a blessing for me. Thank you so much.

Justina Perez

4.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT PLAN, June 8, 2005
I LOVE this plan. Its an excellent idea and I felt 1000% better after the first three days and then tried to eat something that was not on the plan and was flooded with a headache, and body pains like crazy.

I gave the book 4 stars because I would like a "Menu" plan . . . suggestions to eat this for breakfast, this for a snack and this for lunch etc. He gives really great information, just not how to combine foods so you don't feel hungry. The recipes in the back are excellent, but I wish they were better "catagorized", such as this is what you eat for balancing PH, this is what you eat when you are done balancing your PH etc. I would see a recipe that I would like to try and only read from their "reward" that it was a transitional recipe.

I have recommened this book to several of my diabetic friends. I have had EXCELLENT sugar levels using the diet and my asthma has improved dramatically!

5.0 out of 5 stars The pH Miracle for Diabetes by Young, August 7, 2004
The book describes the benefits of the B Vitamin Group

(B1,3,6,12) and Chromium for diabetics. B 12 is known to minimize

nerve damage resulting from diabetes. Dandelion Root is a known

stabilizer of blood sugar. Pancreatic support may be obtained

by taking Licorace, alfalfa and aloe. Weight training will be

helpful for metabolic reactions to deal with diabetes. The

"Lymphatic Massage" is known to be helpful for diabetics.

The work describes a plethora of recipes for diabetics.

i.e. veggie shakes, vegan chili, watercress soup and many more

The book is an excellent value for anyone serious about blood

sugar stabilization to deal effectively with diabetes in its

various stages.

5.0 out of 5 stars The pH Miralce For Diabetes, March 15, 2005
Dr. Young 's research provides a clear path out of the challenges of blood sugar. One of my colleagues used this approach with a man who had lost most of his eyesight from diabetic retinopathy 1 year previously after having gone through laser surgery. After 2 weeks 85% of his vision came back in one eye and he was able to ragain his drivers license. Another friends father is now off of all of his medications and his blood sugar is fine. For those who choose to take the responsibility of their health in their own hands, this book is a beacon of hope.

5.0 out of 5 stars The pH Miracle Books, April 16, 2005
With six books on the market, Dr. Robert O. Young and His wife, Shelley Redford Young, have established themselves as the preeminent scientific researchers on how to balance your body chemistry and achieve your ideal healthy weight. Every African-American and African-Caribbean or persons suffering from Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes, obesity, overweight, underweight, hypertension, cancer, AIDS, and heart disease or who may have been reared on "soul food" need to discover The pH Mriacle, The pH Miracle for Diabetes and their latest book The pH Miracle for Weight Loss and the rejuenating recipes to alkalize and energize an over acidified diet. I have made this revolutionary dietary paradigm shift an official part of my professional ministry. With the Young's New Biology and nutrition program, pastors, and congregations will rediscover the miraculous link between health and spirituality.

The Reverend Dean Lawrence Edward Carter Sr., Ph.D.

Martin Luther King Jr. International Chapel

Morehouse College

5.0 out of 5 stars Cure of Dibetes - Unheard Of, October 13, 2010
What can anyone say? There is a cure. My son was diagnosed a little over a year ago and we have maintained his blood sugar in just a few days. I was one to worry about getting insulin for my son if there was an emergency. Now I know there are alternative solutions. Break away from the control freak pharmaceutical & food industries and go with what's euphoric. Read this...... You will feel a natural buzz if you incorporate it yourself.

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm a Real Orthomolecular Nutritionist, March 14, 2012
This review is from: The pH Miracle for Diabetes: The Revolutionary Diet Plan for Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetics (Paperback)
I'm a California certified nutritionist and specialize in obesity, diabetes, and metabolic syndrome. I also studied mycology for 12 years and taught fungi cultivation and lab work with the Oregon Mycological Society. I read this book with an open mind - no preconceived notions, just evaluate the materials. First thing that I found strange was the authors insistance that if you have fungus (like a systemic candida infection) growing in your body, you can eliminate it with an alkaline diet. The author must not have much education because this is totally backwards. Most all fungus (mold, yeast, mushrooms) need a very alkaline substrated to live. Acid is what keeps them from growing, and thriving. You can check any source on this, and you'll find I'm right. In fact, the acid in your stomach is what protects you from bacteria, viruses, and fungi from entering your digestive system. I know of 8 women who have gone on this type of diet, they all now have systemic candida infection that they can't seem to get rid of. It's ruined their life.

The good thing about this book is it has convinced (or tricked) people to go on a low glycemic diet. This is what is doing the weight loss and lowering blood sugar, and in effect, lowering insulin levels. Good! This part is good because were all killing ourselves with too much high glycemic carbohydrates. The people that are vegan or raw foodies that go on this diet won't do the fish or fish oil, and try to make up by doing flax seed oil. This is better than nothing, but I don't believe these people are getting enough omega-3 medium chain fatty acids (EPA and DHA) to do them much good. Eating more leafy green veggies is what we all need more of, even the vegans and raw foodies need more veggies, and they all need more omega-3 and B12.

I've found no scientific documentation that what you eat can change your body or blood ph. In order for you to stay alive, you have to remain in a very narrow ph range for your blood and most of the rest of your body. Your body does this automatically, if it changes you get sick and you could die. But, I can say bravo for any way to trick people into eating low glycemic. If you study the diet that's recommended, it's very low glycemic and low saturated fat. The two very things that are believed to cause insulin resistance and diabetes.

What I've found is the most serious diseases we face as humans are caused by high insulin levels. Probably 66% or more of the American public has high insulin, but doctors never seem to check this. If they did, they could detect you moving toward diabetes up to 15 years before you develop full blown diabetes. That could save a lot of pain, suffering, and lives not to mention health care costs - which will be about $3.4 trillion over the next 10 years, just to treat the upcoming pandemic of diabetes. United Healthcare is now estimating 52% of the American public will have type 2 diabetes, or prediabetes(almost there), by year 2020. Think about half the country eventually on dialysis. I believe current cost can be as high as $50,000 per month. So insurance companies will go broke, medical services will not be able to sustain at these levels.

Even more frightening is the fact that the American Diabetes Association does not use the glycemic index or glycemic loads of foods, or teach it in their classes. This is criminal. When you go to a doctors for help with your diabetes, they give you drugs that raise your insulin levels to get your blood sugar under control. High insulin is what causes insulin resistance and diabetes in the first place. This only makes it worse and you need to buy more and more drugs to keep your blood sugars under control. It's not very bright to try to treat a nutritional disease with drugs that contribute to the cause of the disease. Nutritional diseases need to be treated by proper nutrition. The ADA gives no training on how to prevent the oxidative dammage that high blood sugars and high insulin do to your body. Hint - high insulin puts you at 4 - 16 times higher risk for all major diseases including heart attack, stroke, cancer, and diseases of the brain. Now we know why doctors won't check insulin levels - it's their bread and butter.

$16.00