5.0 out of 5 stars Truly a Miracle
May 13th 2005. THis is the only diet book I have read that promotes true health and a sustainable life-long diet. I lost my entire goal of 30 pounds in 6 weeks!! I feel great. I did not increase my exercise beyond my usual 30 minute daily walk.

Published on May 12, 2005 by Greg Link

3.0 out of 5 stars Take it slow if you have other health problems!
Published on July 30, 2005 by Daisy May

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly a Miracle, May 12, 2005
Greg Link (Alpine, Rocky Mountains of Utah United States) - See all my reviews

Update: It has now been 16 weeks and I have effortlessly lost an additional 10 lbs. for a total of 40 (227 to 187) . Most significant learning is the paradigm shift I have had from weight loss to a sustainable healthy diet (finally at age 55). This diet seems daunting at first but you will find it easy to follow once you retrain your eating tastes. I say retrain because I had a life-long aversion to vegetables and the more I have eaten the more I like them. The way you feel after "pigging out" on vegetables is a far cry from the sugar hanovers and bloated feeling I have experienced in the past with other foods. I have found my pallate has made a permanent change and I have aquired a taste for alkaline foods. (You can still eat bread and pasta with spelt flour). It is now effortless and sustainable. What a permanent gift. Do yourself a favor and test it yourself for 90 days. Loose your goal and enjoy a lifelong new weight and size. Dr. Young's science is easily tested. Judge from your own direct experience not from others or your own skepticism.

As Jane Clayson of CBS Early Show said " The crew at The Early Show jokingly refers to it as my "swamp water": the concoction of GREENS I drink every morning, first thing, at 4:30 A.M. I know it sounds funny to say I drink my greens, but it's a quick, natural, oxygenating boost--healthier than any jolt of caffeine." (from the foreword to pH Miracle)

5.0 out of 5 stars For anyone looking for changes, June 14, 2006
I want to clear up several things that I've seen in the other reviews:

1. Robert Young does *not* own InnerLight. He developed the products and sold the company some years ago. I've been to see him speak, and during that presentation he told us how to skip the supplements, like he does in the book, and mix baking soda in water and make sure that 90% of what we're eating is alkaline. In the book he even tells you how to choose a supplement or how to mix your own.

2. No one *has* to do the 3-week fast. He shows you the rapid way (3-week fast) but also how to make gradual changes to your everyday lifestyle. He presents a plan for those that are looking to change their lives slowly and those that are looking to change their lives drastically. Both are in the book.

3. And it is a lifestyle, this is not a diet. This is showing you how to change your life style.

4. He does *not* advocate staying away from all fats, or fatty acids. In fact, he proposes that we don't get enough of the right fats (omegas, cold pressed oils, etc.) and we eat all of the wrong ones (trans fats).

5. Robert Young got his degree from the Clayton College of Natural Health, yet he was able to work as a microbiologist for many years. I do not liken his degree to a person who got a degree in Wicker Basket Weaving and is now purporting to be an expert on home repair, or someone who got some other useless degree, hasn't worked in the field, yet continues to refer to themselves as an expert on the subject.

6. If the idea that alkalinizing is so goofy, how is it that other people are also publishing books on the same topic?

Having said all that, it's clear to me that there are people looking to make a change and looking to apply effort, and there are those who want to continue to make excuses and complain about how they feel and look. The former can do nothing about the latter.

I am on the greeny supplements. I know they aren't cheap, but since I stopped eating at McDonalds and Wendy's, I don't notice the cost at all. In fact, my body no longer wants many things it used to gorge on when it was acidic, and buying green things at the grocery store is usually much cheaper than going out for cheeseburgers and sub sandwiches.

My first six months on the greens led to a 10-inch loss around my waistline. I lost the taste for sugars, junky sweets, crap from the vending machine. I lost these 10 inches, but only 20 pounds. And I hadn't exercised, yet my muscles got bigger. I shrank out of all my clothes! Now that I've read this book, I am ready to implement the other lifestyle changes that are recommended (i.e. exercise and EFAs). I am not as concerned about my weight as I am concerned about feeling good, but if that means I look good too, I'm not going to turn it down.

There are numerous sources for these supplements; I happen to like InnerLight for the greens, but AlkaVision.com seems to have good drops, and I've seen other products in the health food stores. For people who don't have money for supplements, remember that, in the book, it says to do as much as you can. Using the cost of supplements as a way to completely dismiss the book reeks of "excuses" to me, and maybe some people just aren't ready to make changes.

5.0 out of 5 stars The pH Miracle for Weight Loss, June 1, 2007
I had cancer,diabetes, gout, high blood pressure, high triglycerides,and high cholesterol. I was 285 lbs. I was taking all kinds of medacations and getting worse all the time.

After reading the book and following it's instructions for 6 months I,m off all my meds and I now weigh 200 lbs. The reason I ordered so many copies of this book is I'm sending the book to family members and close friends.The pH Miracle for Weight Loss: Balance Your Body Chemistry, Achieve Your Ideal Weight

4.0 out of 5 stars Best of the pH miracle books so far, July 30, 2005
I agree that this one surpasses those that came before it. Unlike another reviewer, I found this book difficult reading. I read very quickly, but it still took me a week to get through it all. The first 4 chapters are the obligatory why-my-diet-works-and-yours-doesn't portion that every diet book has, chapters 5-10 go into the nitty gritty of each individual component of the plan (water, beneficial fats, emotions/spirituality, excluded foods and included foods, supplements and exercise), and chapter 11 sums up the entire plan into a cohesive whole including sample menus. Chapter 12 is the recipe section. I give this book 4 stars because the program itself is quite complicated and requires a hefty monetary investment. It states numerous times throughout the book to implement the changes either all at once, or one at a time for a more modest lifestyle transformation. If you were to follow this program as outlined, you would invest $250-300 for a mini-trampoline (rebounder), $650 for a water ionizer (I'm not certain this is the best way to treat water), and hundreds on supplements (7 different ones, not including the green drinks and pH drops). I commend the authors for not including blatant marketing but at the same time listing names of distributors for those who need the help. I think alkalizing is the missing link not present in other diets, and it provides true help to those of us who haven't been able to lose previously. A sacrifice must be made in the name of health, so put down that milkshake and pick up a green drink. Overall this diet is effective, but a difficult one to implement fully considering today's hectic lifestyle and the pricetag involved. I wouldn't let that stop you from getting started on the program. Young may not have invented the wheel with regard to this program (others came before him), but he presents it in a comprehensive way that most can understand and follow (at least partially) in order to get results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, Also suggest reading his prior book "The pH Miracle", October 26, 2006
Dr. Young explains WHY I had been experiencing the symptoms I'd been suffering with for so long. I am 32 years old, and I have been experiencing severe back pain, depression, chronic fatigue, poor concentration, and obesity since I was 19 years old. I had tried so many diets and excercise programs, but none of them worked. I had an extreme amount of water retention and my stomach area swelled as if I was 3 months pregnant. I initially read his book "The pH Miracle". It was extremely empowering! I highly recommend reading it prior to this book. If you aren't disciplined, and give up easily, this may not be the diet for you. It is very strict. However, hopefully once you begin to feel so much better after just a few days, you'll stick with it. After 4 days of the plan, I had lost 3 pounds. Within one week, my eyes looked brighter, my hair is thicker and shinier, I have lots of energy, and in general, I feel GOOD. I noticed that even if you don't follow it exactly, and you do "cheat" now and then, if you just keep with it, you will lose weight and feel better. For the first time, in a LONG time, I actually have a space between my thighs!! My clothes fit a million times better simply by losing the water retention I'd been experiencing.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Different Way of Eating, September 5, 2005
I bought this book because I felt it was time for some serious dietary changes. Though I didn't eat junk food, mostly unprocessed, organic whole foods, I always felt unwell (spacey, fatigued, depressed, chronic pain, etc.). Also gained lots of weight since menopause. Medical check-ups revealed nothing. I tried various supplements, diets, and fitness programs; but none helped me feel better or loose weight.

The pH program is real shift from the way I was used to eating. It took time to ease into it. I had to re-read some topics over again before they clicked (still working on it).

The first week I stayed with my regular diet, but added the green drink. I lost five pounds. The second week I started the "cleanse" phase. I lost another four. Best of all, the pain and brain fog have cleared. Also found myself de-junking and organizing my house, unplanned. When I tried to do that before it would overwhelm me. Not this time! I am entering my third week of the Cleanse. I won't say it's been easy. Old habits and cravings tempt me, but I've been able to persevere because I feel so much better.

The information in The pH Miracle for Weight Loss has been very helpful for me. But I gave it 4 stars because the index is not thorough enough. Some things I've read and want to check again aren't listed in the index. Frustrating.

3.0 out of 5 stars Take it slow if you have other health problems!, July 30, 2005
I also read the Ph Miracle book by Dr. Young. Both books were written well and easy to understand. I do feel that the sequencing of the book isn't very user friendly when I was trying to look up meals for the cleanse compared to the meals for after the cleanse. The cleanse was very hard on my body. I was only able to stay on it for 5 days. They recommend the cleanse for 2 weeks if you have less than 50 pounds to loose and 3 weeks for more than 50 pounds to loose. I was in such pain last night and had such terrible anxiety that I almost admitted myself to the hospital. I believe that people need to be warned that the cleanse can be too harsh for some people. They really push you to buy their own products which are very expensive. There are many other sources for products that aren't as expensive. Do your research before you buy products from the Youngs.

I do feel that most of the book is very worthwhile and easy to understand for any person. His ideas have made me look at what I eat in a new light. I now grow my own wheatgrass and sprouts. I do believe that I have made a life time change for the better because of reading the Young's books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unrealistic and Rigid, but if it works-go for it., June 15, 2005
The problem I have with this book over his earlier one is that it is so very rigid and, at times, quite unrealistic. I do NOT want to become a vegan/vegetarian again because when I tried it for almost 10 years, I nearly died from malnutrition because legumes and other vegetarian proteins do not have complete amino acids required by the body chemistry according to my M.D./H.M.D.

There is no getting around the fact that it requires absolute rigid self control and total self absorption to follow it to the letter. For me, I would rather pop vitamins than eat carrot sticks and raw foods every day for the rest of my life. Been there, done that, no thanks.

Personally, I have used the pH diet myself (his earlier book) and have had amazing and lasting results. I eat lobster, steak, chicken and other goodies like chocolate in sparing amounts. I consume those foods separate from any other, and follow a meal with a "chaser" of alka seltzer gold which has the potassium needed to offset sodium imbalance, rx'd by my physician. This simple step alkalinizes the body chemistry. In the two years I have used this "modified" pH diet, including my "chocoholic" munchies and other dietary "sins", I have experienced zero weight regain or any other negative health consequences. I use only virgin coconut oil because it is a medium chain triglyceride and the only oil that does not store fat in your body. The research on it is amazing, and I have so much energy, that at 68, I feel and act like a much younger woman.

I have long used Peltier electrolyte concentrate added to Evian to raise the water pH and continue to get positive results. I use the green drink very often and it is wonderful to feel such a blast of energy in your system after a glassful. I agree with the one reviewer about the noxious marketing of some companies in the food supplementation industry with their MLMs and other overpriced machines and nutrients. I refuse to pay for their research and development costs. My own research has led me to pharmaceutical grade supplements from Life Extension Foundation and organic herbal supplements from Nature's Sunshine. Both have been extraordinarily beneficial at a fraction of the cost of those listed in the book appendix. Research is easy to do online. For me the bottom line is always common sense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alkalize Your Way to Health, June 1, 2005
MediaCritic may not have gotten results because he/she most likely did not follow the protocol outlined in The pH Miracle for Weight Loss. MediaCritics "review" was more of an MLM bashing, attempting to divert people's attention to a false idea of schemes and scams rather than present the truth written in the book, The pH Miracle for Weight Loss, by an earnest microbiologist who has presented the age-old truth of health and vitality. Dr. Young brings to those who are sick and tired of being sick and tired and overweight an easy to understand book about how to make sense of why we become dis-eased and "fat" and how we can allow our body to do what it does naturally, heal itself.

I, for one, had Graves disease since 1973 and over the years underwent treatments with meds, meds and more meds, radioactive iodine, ending up Hypothyroid and at my wits end. My medical bills mounted even though I had health insurance (which I privately paid to the tune of thousands yearly). My health kept me from working at my fullest potential.

In 2001, at a time when I was ready to call it quits, I was introduced to The pH Miracle. I had nothing to lose and decided to give it a try. It's now 2005 and I've never felt better in all my life! I no longer take Synthroid. Anyone who knows anything about this med knows once on it, never again can you live without it or so the doctors say. I no longer carry health insurance at $1700.00 every three months, as I haven't used the deductible since I began alkalizing.

As for the weight loss, I went from 147lbs and am down to 125lbs, am 5'1". At age 55, many mistake me for being in my early 40's. Not only did I lose the weight and keep it off, but I also have incredible energy, vitality and joy!

You don't have to MLM it to enjoy the benefits of alkalizing and following a protocol that is life-saving. MediaCritic, sad to say, sounds very acidic. Don't let your life continue in an acid drain. Read the book, follow what it says and you may get the same wonderful results I and many others have gotten. Don't let some "media critic" burst your bubble before you give it a read. It's your health, don't give up. The truth will set you free!!!

11-5-05 Additon to original review
Anyone can lose weight on just about any diet but the question is "am I healthy"?
The Atkins diet works for weight loss but in my profession as a microscopist, the blood of those clients I've educated reflects the unhealthy state of that individual and the need for dramatic change before the damage becomes evident. Diet for weight loss and appearance only masks what's going on within the person's body which eventually manifests as ill health. This book gives a wholistic approach to dieting. With the information in this book one learns how to feel good, look good and be healthy all at the same time. What good is a slender, sleek figure when one is fermenting inside, that is, rotting from the inside out? Some have said that it is impractical for the average persons lifestyle but I ask: Is it impractical to live a healthy lifestyle? The book is so precise in how to benefit from the dietary changes suggested and the science is flawless! The heart of this book is such valuable information for anyone who has become discouraged from bouncing from diet to diet and professional to professional.

As for the supplements, some say it's too expensive so buy from a health store or vitamin shop. I've taken and compared price to size to QUALITY and have yet to find anything comparable. I've spent thousands on supplements only to find they were expensive urine and did very little to reverse my blood results. I've spent the least with these products as compared to others and gained the most healthwise.

I've had my own personal success with losing the weight as well as losing the medicines I used to take for thyroid challenges by using the protocol fromt this book. My mind is sharp. I feel like I'm 30 (although I'm 55) and many think I look 40! The steps I've taken in changing my lifestyle have been progressive and I find it wonderfully uplifting. Friends see the difference and I educate them as Dr. Young and his wife have done to the pH Miracle for Weight Loss and the pH Miracle for LIFE! I highly recommend this book not only for weight loss but for any health challenge they have experienced or are experiencing.

One of the reviewers here disputed Dr. Young: " 'birds reabsorb their urine into their bodies instead of eliminating it.' Again, not true." Just ask an old-fashioned farmer about chickens and their urine. I grew up in the South, knew farmers and still do and many won't even eat a chicken for this reason.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wake up and smell the Guacamole!, June 24, 2005
Do yourself a favor. Buy this book, and read it as though your life depended on it. Guess what? It does! You're not overweight, you're over acid. If that isn't bad enough, your acidic body is now prone to disease. The Young's explain this in a way that everyone can understand. I love the pictures on Pg. 51 that show what happens to our blood when we eat one meal of bacon and eggs. The book is so well written. You'll feel as though the Young's are standing in the room talking directly to you.

Dr. Young shows that best selling diets like Weight Watchers, Atkins, and South Beach make you acidic and can actually cause you to GAIN unwanted weight because your body produces fat to protect itself from the acid. (I don't imagine they made many friends in the diet industry). The book explains which foods are acidic and alkalizing and emphasizes the importance of hydrating, supplementing and exercising.

I thought I knew all about exercising until I read this book. Did you know that improper exercise can make you more acidic, thus make you MORE fat. Their exercise program is totally different than any I have seen before. It is amazingly simple and anyone can do it in 15 minutes a day. The old "no pain, no gain" is thankfully taboo.

The recipes range from simple to complicated with great variety and taste. Try to incorporate as much as you can into your daily life. Select the easy recipes in the beginning. Allow yourself the time to transition to a more alkalizing life style. There are great testimonials and real stories throughout the book. I found these to be very motivating.

For the first time, I understand why I am overweight, sick and tired. It finally makes sense. I am grateful for the information in this book. The rest is up to me.

$16.00