5.0 out of 5 stars Angel from Knoxville
Published on June 10, 2011 by The Headhunter

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the jill andrews you love
I LOVE her in the everybody fields and her ep...this is a bit too "pop" for my taste. She has an amazing voice and her ability to harmonize is haunting...just not in love with this attempt. :/
Published 23 months ago by N. watts

5.0 out of 5 stars Angel from Knoxville, June 10, 2011
The Headhunter (Lebanon, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mirror (Audio CD)
Sorry if it sounds sexist because I don't mean it that way. Jill Andrews' voice has the same effect it did the first time I heard her -- sweet, mellow, expressive, natural honeysuckle. I first saw Jill Andrews when she was in The Everybodyfields with Sam Quinn, in a small club in Madison, WI. Their voices paired exquisitely -- and the band was outstanding. It was one of the few times I've ever found the opening act at a show to be as good as the main act. (We were there to see Tift Merritt. We got a double whammy of great music.) Jill's new album includes some of the twang and flavors from The Everybodyfield's "Nothing Is Okay," but she takes a pop spin on this disc, and it works. Her voice has just a hint of smokiness, and it plays well with the songs she writes. She doesn't let you forget she's from Knoxville -- and that's good. The songs are personal stuff with a sweet edge; melancholy without bitterness. You can hear the echo after each song ends. Jill is an accomplished tunesmith and musician, and she's blessed with a voice to match. I've waited a long time for this album, and it's music... well, enough of all that. Just spin the disc. This one's a definite keeper.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the jill andrews you love, February 4, 2013
This review is from: The Mirror (MP3 Music)

5.0 out of 5 stars my vote for album of the year, March 26, 2012
This review is from: The Mirror (Audio CD)
Heard "Blue Sky" a couple of times on The Sound on Public Radio East and was captivated. This is a near perfect album. Jill's voice is hauntingly beautiful, and her songwriting is very mature. Lyrically very honest and personal, but at the same time upbeat. Highlights: "Blue Sky", "Wake Up Nico", "The Mirror" and "Sound of the Bell". One of the best music discoveries I've made in a long long time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed fan., September 7, 2011
This review is from: The Mirror (MP3 Music)
I love Jill Andrews. I'm a latecomer to Everybodyfields - within the last year actually - but I have nearly worn those albums out, I listened to them so many times. The same goes for her solo EP. My itunes play count is nearing 40 for some of the EP songs, and this doesn't count the dozens of times I have listened to some of them on the Everybodyfields at Paste Youtube videos and others. I have also enjoyed her cover tune videos that were originally posted monthly on her website. I heartily recommend all of these.

Unfortunately however, I neither love nor recommend this album. I was excited to get it, but it has been weeks now and I have only gotten through it a few times. A couple of the songs are nearly as good as the EP, but most of them aren't hooking me. I don't expect an artist to keep doing the same thing and I applaud her experimentalism, but I don't think the all-over-the-place pop eclectic thing is working for Andrews. Some of the songs have a sophomoric feel, particularly in terms of the lyrics. I find this somewhat baffling since every single song on the EP is outstanding.

I'm giving this more stars than I might, to be nice. I wish Jill Andrews well and hope for more great music from her. Hopefully this less than great album is just growing pains of starting a solo career.

The Mirror