5.0 out of 5 stars Clever and Hilarious!
After reading this book, I can no longer click "like" on Facebook without feeling like Twiddledum: "Ding! Twiddledum loves this!"

Published on February 14, 2012 by S. Lawrence

2.0 out of 5 stars 4 stars if it weren't for the gore
Published 13 months ago by Cloudy

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever and Hilarious!, February 14, 2012
S. Lawrence (Colorado Springs) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Missing Link (Kindle Edition)

This book is a fantastic spin on the Alice tale, but instead of through the looking glass it's through the laundry basket, and Wonderland just so happens to be the internet. You'll find knights and trolls, spammers and cards, even gamers and gobliguanas. You heard me.

There's a good chance you'll see yourself somewhere in this story, if not several places, and so much rings true for the internet today.

As far as this book having been written by two different authors, you won't notice that within the writing, which is seamless.

Very much worth the purchase price!

5.0 out of 5 stars An engaging and creative ride, December 27, 2011
This review is from: The Missing Link (Kindle Edition)
Writtem by two authors, the prose is woven together with such deft skill that it appears as if only one writers voice is speaking. Based in part on Lewis Carroll's Alice In Wonderland, the authors manage to transform a classic into a modern tale fit for today's world. Using multiple viewpoints, The Missing Link, takes us on a journey as seen through the eyes of Brent, an IT specialist, his girlfriend Molly and an unexpected group of homeless people who are much more than they seem to be. Filled with fantastical creatures from iconic fantasy and combined with recognizable elements of the modern world, The Missing Link also stands as an allegorical tale on par with The Lord Of The Flies. Through the use of humour and vivid imagery the writers remind us that that our dependance on technology comes at the expense of our most basic human needs and ultimately the loss of our humanity.

4.0 out of 5 stars You, probably, had to be there..., April 27, 2013
This review is from: The Missing Link (Kindle Edition)
As I read this book I developed a vision in my head of its evolution:

I see one of the authors writing a short nonsensical piece filled with wit, cliche and cultural references and laughing hysterically in the process. He then e-mails it to his friend with dude-check-this-out gusto. I also envision alcohol being involved. His friend reads the piece and, thinking something along the lines of "this is great but it needs more fart jokes," adds a chapter of his own milking yet even more cliches out of the narrative. The first writer reads his friends addition and has to pause to clean Mountain Dew from his keyboard before he can respond due to an impromptu spit-take. Taking a beer in hand, the first writer proceeds to send the storyline off in the most improbable direction he can think of. He returns it to his friend with a healthy dose of "what now, smart guy." The second writer reads the latest installment, folds his arms across his chest, pulls a smug look and thinks to himself, "Challenge accepted." Wash. Rinse. Repeat. At some point they realize that they have enough material for a book and begin tightening up the narrative.

I am probably completely incorrect in my assumptions about the origin of this book. Except for alcohol being involved, I stand by that assumption firmly. The story unfolds in three separate but concurrent lines. It is fast paced and interesting. It is, as I believe the authors intended, a fun and entertaining read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Awesome, December 22, 2011
This review is from: The Missing Link (Kindle Edition)
These guys have a hilarious website that they pour their hearts into. This book is no different. Inside you'll find an interesting plot, humor for the internet age, and awesome 8-bit artwork. At a price so inexpensive, you'd be dumb not to enjoy this book.

Here is their website. It is easily one of my favorite blogs. [...]

2.0 out of 5 stars 4 stars if it weren't for the gore, June 15, 2013
This review is from: The Missing Link (Kindle Edition)
I loved the modern version of Alice in Wonderland - BUT: the ever-present gore, crude humour and disgusting descriptions of bodily fluids in every version thoroughly put me off. To me the story would have been a laugh riot without repeatedly having to read about masturbating trolls, mounds of shit and slime and gore flying into people's faces. That's funny in a sick Christopher Moore way the first or second time around but not as a inherent part of a plot. Sounded like the idea of fun of a group of immature 13-year-olds. Authors, grow up!

4.0 out of 5 stars missing link, January 15, 2012
This review is from: The Missing Link (Kindle Edition)
The Missing Link is probably not a book for everyone. Not that any book is a book for everyone (although there are two books I think everyone should read), but this book is even less a book for everyone than most books. Mostly, I just think a lot of people won't "get" it. A good test to see if it might be for you is to follow the above link over to their blog and read a few of their posts. If the humor doesn't grab or turns you off, the book is not for you. However, if you find yourself laughing despite yourself, even if you hate yourself afterwards, you should give the book a chance, because it's full of the same humor and crassness as their blog.

The technicals: The front half of the book is marvellously edited with hardly a misplaced comma. Well, except for that pet peeve of mine with commas following a sentence starting conjunction and an independent clause behind. This seems to be a fairly widespread error in comma usage, and I'll browbeat the boys about it later. Other than that, though, the front half of the book is almost squeaky clean. Definitely "A" work, and there were hardly any red marks on their paper when I got finished with that portion. However, the further through the book you go, the more errors crop up. Missing words or mistyped words, like "than" instead of "that." A few incorrect tenses here and there. Unstable formatting, mostly in that the indentations start wobbling back and forth. It's enough to drop the technical grade down into the high "B" range. Still, everything considered, it's a pretty good job and nothing that should give anyone any real problems. Especially the commas. There aren't a whole lot of other people out there that are likely to notice any problems with them.

As for the book, well... I don't like to actually talk about what the books I'm reviewing are about, because you all are quite capable to read that stuff for yourselves. However, I feel compelled this time. Bryan and Brandon give us a look at the chaos that could result from a technological collapse in society. My feeling is that most people looking at the book will think that their take is a bit extreme, outrageous, and over-the-top. I'm not so sure...

Just within the last couple of weeks, I was reading about some problems at some hotel chain or other (I forget which one, and, honestly, it's not important). At two of their hotels (one of them was in Hawaii, the other somewhere on the main land), they had a computer issue which caused all of the guests to be locked out of their rooms for several hours (6-8 or something like that). The hotel uses key card locks, and the computer locked down all the rooms, and no one could open them (this should be a lesson to have manual back-ups available for the staff). Really, this should just be a minor annoyance. Yes, an annoyance, but nothing worthy of violence. Within the first hour (maybe half hour?), police had to be called in because of brawling in the hallways. Widespread brawling. Not, like, just one fist fight. People freaked out and started beating each other up because they couldn't get into their hotel rooms. What the crap? Seriously. What the crap?

So, when violence breaks out in The Missing Link over the loss of the Internet, I can hardly say that the boys have exaggerated.

The characters in the book are largely stereotypes, but they're not the kind of stereotypes that happened because the authors didn't know what they were doing. They're there to give the readers something easy to latch onto, "oh! I know what this character is like!" And, as they said in the interview, they are more caricature than cliche. They're magnified examples of people, but, also, they're there to show us that people are capable of going beyond our stereotypes for them. I'd be hard-pressed to choose a favorite. (Although, I have to admit, I have a lot of empathy for Brent and the blank looks he gets any time he tries to explain anything.) Okay, I'm lying, I love Sir McAffery. Not so much his character within the book, but just the concept of his character. It's genius. And I would say more, but I can't do that without ruining elements of the story.

Also, I love the Alice in Wonderland elements of the story. Admittedly, I was bit put off by it right at first. Molly's experience in going down her laundry chute follows Alice's trip beat for beat, but, as you get into the story and see the analogy at work, it does. Work. And it's a great analogy (as they said in the interview). The Internet is a Wonderland, but it's not a Wonderland that's a paradise. It's insane. Even more insane than Lewis Carroll ever could have imagined. The melding of Carroll's work with other familiar pop culture phenomenon like World of Warcraft and The Wizard of Oz is pretty clever, and I really enjoyed it.

So here's the thing: go over and check out their blog. Do that now. If you like it, buy the book. It's only a buck. It'll make you laugh. Yeah, there are some parts that seem a bit absurd, but, you know, like the deal with the hotel I was mentioning? I'm not so sure that they are. Bryan and Brandon have actually offered up a fairly powerful piece of social commentary, and I think people should really stop and take a look at it. How dependent are you on your iGadget? Is your dependency healthy? Maybe think about spending some time away from it. In fact, put it down right now and go download the book. Oh, wait, you need it to download the book? Curse you Internet!

My grade? I give it an "A-." It's clever. Well told. Interesting. The only thing that drags it down a bit is that they do sort of run a few of the gags a bit too hard. And there are a few redundancies toward the end, but it's just a few. Overall, it's a very enjoyable read with an actual message trapped in there. I'm sure they tried to hide to keep their reputations intact.

Twiddledum loves this!

4.0 out of 5 stars A funny and entertaining read, January 27, 2012
This review is from: The Missing Link (Kindle Edition)
As a Fan of Bryan and Brandons blog [...] I had expectations of the kind of book I was picking up and I was not disappointed. The Downriver boys in particular were really entertaining. Reminiscent of the Canting Crew from the Discworld series, their varied backgrounds and skills make it a lot of fun getting to know them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously... what if?!, January 21, 2012
M. Zosh (Ridgefield Park, NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Missing Link (Kindle Edition)
This book was awesome! As a reader of their web-comic blog, [...], I knew what I was in for as far as the writing style and humor. Even still, it was more than I expected. They jump right into the chaos of a world without internet and infuse it with Alice in Wonderland and Wizard of Oz analogies which are very well done. While reading I kept seeing the mental images of the characters and events. This book is perfect for a Syfy movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, guaranteed end to end entertainment, December 30, 2011
This review is from: The Missing Link (Kindle Edition)
This book is a must to read. Kind of Surrogate, Alice in wonderland, Mars attack - masala -delightful potpourri which shall entertain person of any age.
Loved the personification of twitter, McAfee, and other interesting things in internet. For the price this is an excellent book and a treasure. I would like to have hardcopy with pictures just like in their cartoon in their blog.
The book is excellent treat. If you havent read this, you dont know what you are missing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally worth the low price, January 12, 2012
This review is from: The Missing Link (Kindle Edition)
I have been reading A Beer For The Shower (the blog these authors write) for quite a while and it is always hilarious. When they announced that this book was out I knew I had to get it and when I saw the great price there was no question. This book was funny, creative and just all around perfect. I would definitely suggest this book to anyone!

The Missing Link