Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Mist on Bronte Moor
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$4.99

on January 8, 2013
I love the Brontës. I find their short, insulated lives fascinating, especially given their writing genius. So when I read the synopsis for this book I was very keen to read this YA take on a day (or days rather) in the lives of the Brontë family. Heather has a great character arc - her insecurities due to her alopecia makes it difficult for her to open up to her family and friends but with the Brontë sisters and Branwell, she can gradually forget her fears. The infatuated love she feels for Branwell who - true to the real man - is charming and troubled at turns, was well captured by the author's prose. I felt she brought teenage love and angst to life in this story, even creating a Victorian equivalent that slightly mirrors elements of Wuthering Heights. This added a welcome element of danger and suspense to what is a simple time travel romance and coming of age story.

What I most appreciated about this story was the faithful re-imagining of the teenage Brontës and their lives in Haworth. The author obviously did much research and used real life facts to support her characterizations and drama. I felt like I was really seeing into their minds, and I loved how well the author brought them to life. The historical details makes this an excellent immersive read that made me feel the cold and beauty of the moors in the nineteenth century and the unique relationships between the Brontë family.

This is a relatively short, sweet novel about acceptance and love with the bonus of including such dynamic personalities as the Brontës. I would highly recommend it to readers who like character-driven stories with historical fantasy elements and light romance.

(a copy was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review)
on January 5, 2013
I'm a big fan of Emily Bronte's writing, her words simply leave me speechless. And now, I'm a fan of Aviva Orr. She's inherited that beautiful, romantic yet tragic, writing style that the Bronte sisters have given us.
The Mist on Bronte Moor is unforgettable. The story is beautiful, the writing is magnificent, the characters were so incredibly realistic that I felt like I really knew them. I have nothing to complain about. Aviva Orr has accomplished exactly what Emily Bronte did and what many other authors couldn't... she left me utterly speechless.

Heather starts out as a very insecure character. She's sensitive to her flaws, but that completely changes once she meets Emily and Branwell. I like her because she's a tough character, like Catherine in Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights. She's got one of those sharp, stubborn personalities that attracts the reader's attention no matter what.
Branwell, on the other hand, is a very troubled guy. His flaws go from drugs to brawls to depression. And yet, even though I repeatedly told myself I wouldn't like him, I ended up loving him. No matter how conceited and disturbed he was, he had these rare moments where he became this lovable, sweet guy.
The relationship between Heather and Branwell s i z z l e s. There's no love at first sight, actually Branwell thinks Heather is a boy when he first meets her, and there aren't any overly gushy moments. They spend only a couple of moments together before everything falls to apart.

The story in general is a refreshing take on the lives of the Bronte family, with a small twist of course. It's a beautiful novel that I'll probably be rereading again very soon. There're very few cliches in it, and the amount of predictability is close to none.
Overall, I love it. I love the eerie tone, the shocking truths about the family, the character's flaws, and the characters themselves. It's a story you can't miss.
This is a MUST READ for fans of the Bronte sisters. I highly recommend it!
on February 21, 2013
I found this as a giveaway on Goodreads, and absolutely loved the premise. I entered the contest and while I didn't win, I got an email from the author Aviva [WOOT!] asking if I'd like to read for review. Obviously I said yes, because this novel already piqued my interest!

Who doesn't love the Brontës, especially Emily. The story of the Brontës is fascinating, given the amount of literary talent in the family, as well as the short lived lives of the children and mother. The Mist on Brontë Moor is a brilliant depiction on the young lives of Emily, Charlotte, Anne and Branwell, along with Heather Bell. Aviva Orr did an stunning job weaving fiction and non-fiction together.

Heather has insecurities due to her Alopecia.[The loss of hair, which usually turns out in permanent baldness] Having this disease while being in high school is just not fun, Heather ends up leaving her high school after an incident in class and going to live with her Aunt in the Yorkshire Country. The day after she arrives, she travels into the Moors outside. There is a mist that invades her visibility and she trips and hits her head, falling into the 19th century.

Heather wakes up in the Moors. While trying to find her way back to her new home, she meets Emily. Emily decides to take Heather back to her home where she meets the rest of the Brontë family. Heather finds a love interest in Branwell, who is charming and troubled true to the real man. Aviva did a amazing job entangling the teenage characters to make them true to the actual history, while being fictionalized.

The Mist on Brontë Moor is definitely delivers worthy read. Mixing time travel, romance, history, and suspense. Getting a new take on the Brontë family is refreshing and unique. Although a work of fiction, this story makes you really imagine what it was like for the Brontë family in the 19th century. This novel brings you on a vivid journey to a historical past. I felt as if I was thrown back in time along with Heather, feeling everything that she went through with Emily and Branwell especially.

This is truly a brilliant work of art, by Aviva Orr. I can't wait to see what she puts out next.
on June 1, 2013
Wow, this was such a good read that I had a hard time of stopping. I just wanted to keep reading to find out what happened. I felt really bad for the main character Heather. She's your average teenager and it's hard enough being a teenager anyway, but she also has alopecia. This makes it a lot harder for her. With her parents approval, Heather goes to stay with a great aunt that lives in Bronte country. The next day after she gets there, Heather goes out for a walk and gets lost in the mist that appears. Heather gets found by a girl named Emily and Heather thinks she is just a local neighbor. However, it turns out the Heather has somehow gone back in time to 1833 and has just meet the Bronte family. She spends roughly 3 weeks with them, and a lot happens in that time span. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone that is interested in what the Bronte family was like.
on March 9, 2013
When I read the description of this book, I wasn't sold on it, and actually passed it up.. then a couple of days later, decided to download it. I am so glad I took the chance. I was so engrossed in the story, the ending snuck up on me... and since there is not a second book, I may have to reread this one, because I want more. This has some pg style romance in it, and is suitable for young readers, but enjoyable for adults. If you like paranormal stories, mystical stories, light romance stories, or just plain easy fiction, I would recommend this book. It isn't horror, but there is a little suspense, and yes there is time travel, but it isn't like science fiction, and more like paranormal
on March 10, 2013
4.5 stars
Amazing. Beautiful. Bittersweet. These are the words that sum up how I would describe this book.

First, let's talk about Heather. Her struggle with alopecia is apparent from the first page, and it is very well written. Some reviewers claim that she didn't struggle with it as much as she should have while staying with the Brontës, but I say nay-nay. The girl was in 1833; she had other things on her mind, and it is still a fairly big struggle in the story, so I don't agree with them. The one thing that I feel is inconsistent as far as the alopecia goes is the cover. In the book, she has to cut it off, but on the cover she is pictured in the graveyard with long flowing hair. That's it. And I didn't care about that at all, so in my opinion, it was flawless. I thought it was a bit strange that she didn't realize she had traveled back in time sooner, because even though it seems far fetched, there were so many obvious signs! Other than that, I thought she was a great main character.

The love story was a bit of a love-hate relationship for me, and probably the only reason this book isn't getting five stars. In the 1800s, I am almost certain it was not common to snuggle by the fireplace. Especially after you have only known the person for two weeks! Once I got over that little fact, I was soon in love with Branwell. He was so charming, yet he had a vulnerable side to him as well. I did not know the Brontës had a brother, and I looked him up while reading this because I was so interested. He seems like he was very talented, but for reasons that I won't tell you because they might spoil the book, he never became as famous.

As some of you may already know, I have a Brontë obsession. Currently, I'm trying to read every single book they ever wrote. So now I will go on a rant on how I think it is completely AWESOME that Charlotte, Emily, and Anne (kind of) were all main characters! I know this book is fictional, but I feel as if I got to know them by reading this. Silly, right? Still; I will never look at Jane Eyre the same way again.

Now, the ending. Don't worry; there's no spoilers here, but I feel like I need to say that the ending was a rollercoaster of emotions for me. I don't know how to say it any differently. It was not an ending that completely killed my happiness and made me want to curl up into a ball and sob(Mockingjay!) but it was not a happy, sunshine and rainbows, and they all lived happily ever after ending. I loved it.

I know that if I don't end this soon, I will ramble on and on, so I'll close with this; The Mist on Brontë Moor is one of the best books I have read this year. It's the kind of book where you become overly attached to the characters and feel sad when it's over. I have no idea if there could be a sequel to this, but if there is, I would buy it in a second. You need to read it!
on March 11, 2013
Bought because it was free and the premise sounded interesting. It was a quick read, type of book I would use to pass a rainy day. My biggest gripe is the (spoiler????) Time travel element. For a person who just traveled back in time, Heather does not seem concerned about it which reads as very unrealistic.
on November 28, 2013
I know most people that read the classics know of the Bronte family and their books this is another take off including fact and paranormal fiction. It's a cute breath holder and has a very developed story line.
The characters are strong and very likable. I truly enjoyed reading this and have to tell the truth I cried like a baby. It really is a good story and one that even teen's would enjoy. If your up for some light reading there are (at least for me) some new tidbits that I had not heard before. Recommended.....
on May 20, 2013
I've never read any books by the Bronte's, but I have seen the Jane Eyre movie. I also wrote a paper in high school on the enigmatic Emily Bronte, and ever sense then I've always been pulled to this interesting family.

Heather and Emily are great characters. I wouldn't mind being friends with either of them! Heather's life before getting pulled into the fog was average, well except for the alopecia.

Now, Branwell. Oh, I feel so sorry for this poor boy. There's nothing worse than watching someone ruin their life with drugs. He was so sweet, and then could snap in a second. Jekyll and Hyde.

I love reading books that are set in England. I felt like I was walking the moors with Emily. Or leaning next to a gravestone with Branwell.

Incredibly thoughtful book.
on October 3, 2013
I loved the blend of fact and fiction. My only criticism is that it ended too soon! I wanted more Branwell, more family dynamics, just more because it was all so delightful. As a homeschooling Mom, I am definitely adding this to our reading list when studying the Bronte literary works and time period. Aviva Orr presents historical fact from the lives of the Bronte's in a perfect package. I have definitely become a fan.