4.0 out of 5 stars The Peggy Lipton Show
Published on December 31, 2008 by Christopher Edwards

3.0 out of 5 stars Hope this is not nobbled like the Fugitive soundtrack!?
I agree with the reviewer below. (Vitoskywalker) I won't buy this till I know that everything has been left in its original state. What CBS/Paramount did with The Fugitive (added new soundtrack) was criminal!
Let's hope this release can be enjoyed by all fans of this wonderful show - how it was intended!
Season One was fine (picture/audio); the only...
Published on November 11, 2008 by Patrick Valentine

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The Peggy Lipton Show, December 31, 2008
This review is from: The Mod Squad - Season 2, Volume 1 (DVD)
I'm surrendering to my temptation to rate this set just below 5 stars, soley base on how many scenes Peggy Lipton is in. She failed to show up much in one episode, so I'm shaving off a star. Seriously, this IS the reason why I'm buying up this series; I haven't outgrown this schoolboy crush I have on Peggy, but I have outgrown much of what television has to offer me. The Mod Squad, however, ..and I'm very surprised by this, doesn't annoy me. It's quiet, charming and has a strong ethical core. In this set you get the abortion issue with a psychic slueth, a charming episode about a family-less mexican boy, capt greer and linc fall in love, a charming con-man, a dangerous quack, and a very adorable Peggy Lipton singing a Carol King tune, country style! What's missing from all these sets so far, is commentary from Clarence Williams. This particular set has no commentary at all; no special features. The soundtrack is original, and the writing is very good. Very well worth a purchase, even if Peggy Lipton isn't the sell.

5.0 out of 5 stars The COOL Returns, August 5, 2008
E. Hornaday (Lawrenceville, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mod Squad - Season 2, Volume 1 (DVD)
Love and loss are highlighted in the latest release of The Mod Squad in a half-season DVD boxed set.

Thirteen episodes, representing the first half of the Second Season of the Classic TV iconic police drama, are expected to be included, along with additional features and interviews to be announced.

The Mod Squad is the original counter-culture phenomenon that remains a favorite, replete with one of the best and most memorable TV musical themes ever composed. It is remarkably watchable despite its age - ironically, now older than young people of that era were warned never to trust in adults.

Premiering Sept. 24, 1968, during the height of the Vietnam War, The Mod Squad lasted five action-packed seasons with episodes that dealt as much with social issues as it did crime in the streets.

Set in Los Angeles, the premiss was simple enough: Three young people in trouble with the law were given the opportunity to avoid jail sentences by infiltrating the counter-culture as undercover cops and exposing criminals who prey on youth by bridging the generation gap between the youth and the "fuzz."

The three "delinquents" were Pete Cochran,(Michael Cole) who was arrested for car theft; Julie Barnes, (Peggy Lipton) who ran away from her prostitute mother in San Francisco; and Lincoln Hayes, (Clarence Williams III) who was arrested during the Watts riots. Tough talking Capt. Adam Greer, (Tige Andrews) was in charge of the special squad and eventually became a father-figure to them. (Lipton, who later played Norma the waitress in another cult classic - Twin Peaks - was nominated for an Emmy for her role as Julie, and won a Golden Globe in 1970 for her portrayal of the character.)

In the series, Cochran drove an old green "woody" side-paneled 1950 Mercury station wagon with two surf boards on top that became a lasting symbol of the show, along with cooooool bell-bottomed pants! Sadly, the wheels were destroyed in this second season when the car was set ablaze by an arsonist. (The Woody was wrecked in Ep. 35, "The Death of Wild Bill Hannacheck," which is included in this boxed set. At the end, the Squad stands and watches their "old buddy" burn. Linc has the classic line "Good bye olde paint." During the Reunion movie in 1979, Pete is rich so he buys a Woody when the three of them unite once more.)

The stellar series spawned a block-buster movie in the 1990's that was horrible by comparison, failing in all respects to capture the chemistry and remarkably innocent sincerity of the original.

Episodes expected to be included in this DVD set, with their original airdates and brief description are: The Girl in Chair Nine (9/23/1969), the Squad befriends a young mother; My Name is Manolette (9/30/1969), the Squad "adopts" a nine-year-old boy; An Eye for an Eye (10/7/1969), Capt. Greer falls in love unaware that he puts the woman in danger; Ride the Man Down (10/14/1969), Pete is framed for murder; To Linc - With Love (10/21/1969), Linc falls in love; Lisa (11/4/1969), the squad helps a woman with a split personality; Confrontation! (11/11/1969), racial strife and murder at a college; Willie Poor Boy (11/18/1969), Pete helps an illiterate boy accused of robbery; The Death of Bill Hannachek (11/25/1969), Julie poses as a country western singer; A Place to Run, A Heart to Hide In (12/2/1969), the Squad pose as college students to investigate a murder; The Healer (12/9/1969), the Squad investigate a faith healer after a patient dies; In this Corner - Sol Albert (12/16/1969), the Squad try to find a slum landlord; and Never Give the Fuzz an Even Break (12/23/1969), the Squad try to catch a con man with a con.

Created by the legendary TV mogul Aaron Spelling, he produced it along with Danny Thomas and Sheldon Leonard. Harve Bennett replaced Spelling in later seasons. Hopefully, the remained of the series will soon be released.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrrific, August 10, 2010
This review is from: The Mod Squad - Season 2, Volume 1 (DVD)
Great series lots of action great acting. What more needs to be said. Brings back those great memories of the 60's.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mod Squad Season 2, February 18, 2014
This review is from: The Mod Squad - Season 2, Volume 1 (DVD)
The DVD is excellent, just makes you wanting more. I love it., I will for sure be getting season 1.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic TV, February 1, 2014
This review is from: The Mod Squad - Season 2, Volume 1 (DVD)
Classic 1960's TV - SOLID. Great cast with good stories and acting. Cast interviews during the series show they were good actors and made the most of their roles.

4.0 out of 5 stars mod squad season two vol 1, November 18, 2013
joann young (melbourne, victoria, AU) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mod Squad - Season 2, Volume 1 (DVD)
i gave this disc four stars because the mpicture was perfect and i just loved that show when i was younger

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy, September 2, 2013
This review is from: The Mod Squad - Season 2, Volume 1 (DVD)
I was more than pleased with my purchase. I love the fight and chase scenes with Michael Cole and Clarence Williams 111. I wish I could get this network show in the area where I live, I love the retro TV shows. I'm just very great full that amazon has a wide selection to choose from, so thank you very much for keeping retro alive!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best show of the 70's, June 24, 2013
This review is from: The Mod Squad - Season 2, Volume 1 (DVD)
I love this show, I watched it when I was a kid. I'm so glad they put it on DVD .

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Show, June 18, 2013
This review is from: The Mod Squad - Season 2, Volume 1 (DVD)
I loved this dvd. I loved this show in the 70. I never missed an episode or the repeats in the 5 years it was on. So owning these episodes on dvd is like reliving my childhood. The stories are still revelant even if the clothes are not and the scenes that use stuntmen are not as sharp as now but the real reason to buy these, is the stories and the relationship of the 4 main characters.
They care for each other and they take care of each other. Anyone who watched this show in the 70's will still love watching them now. I bought the first two season, can't wait for the other three seasons. Please bring them out soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mod Squad season 2 vol 1, February 15, 2013
This review is from: The Mod Squad - Season 2, Volume 1 (DVD)
This item,just like it's predicessors was wonderful.I have taken the next step and ordered season 2 vol.2 and I know it will be as good.I can only wish more of Mod Squad would come out.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Mod Squad - Season 2, Volume 1
The Mod Squad - Season 2, Volume 1 by William Crain (DVD - 2008)
$39.98 $14.53