- Explore more great deals on 1000's of titles in our Deals in Books store.
One 10-inch cake, about 8 large servings
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, setting a rack in the middle level. Butter a 10-inch round cake pan, 2 inches deep, and cut a piece of parchment or wax paper to fit the bottom.
2. Chop the chocolate finely and place it in a small bowl over hot water to melt, stirring occasionally. Remove the bowl from the pan and cool the chocolate slightly.
3. In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter with half the sugar until it’s soft and light. Beat in the chocolate, then the yolks, one at a time, scraping the bowl and beater(s) often. Continue beating until the mixture is smooth and light.
4. Place the almonds in the bowl of a food processor and grind them finely, pulsing the machine on and off at 1-second intervals. Be careful that they do not become pasty. Stir the almonds and amaretti crumbs, then the flour, into the batter.
5. In a clean, dry bowl, whip the egg whites until they hold a very soft peak and whip in the remaining sugar in a slow stream. Continue to whip the whites until they hold a soft, glossy peak. Stir a quarter of the whites into the batter, then fold in the rest with a rubber spatula, so that no streaks remain.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake the cake about 40 minutes, until the center is firm when pressed with a fingertip.
7. Cool the cake in the pan for 5 minutes. The cake may sink slightly, though this does not affect its texture. Trim off any loose crust and invert the cake on a rack, remove the pan, and allow to cool completely.
8. Dust the cake with confectioners’ sugar and slide onto a platter.
I almost didn't buy this book because the picture on Amazon shows the cake as GREEN. It is really chocolate on the actual cover. Read morePublished 5 months ago by MV Trish
Every recipe I have tried from this book is absolutely delicious, savory or sweet. However, this book is not for the calorie counting, butter free or reduced cholesterol kind of... Read morePublished 11 months ago by Ana Llanos
GREAT BOOK, I HAVE MADE MANY RECIPES FROM THIS BOOK. GREAT PURCHASE. DELIVERY WAS VERY TIMELY. I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS BOOK TO ANYBODY INTERESTED IN BAKINGPublished 15 months ago by Mary Jane Ross
I got this for about $4 and I would gladly have paid more for it. This is my first book by Chef Malgieri and I would be really interested in purchasing more of his work. Read morePublished 19 months ago by J. Roman
I travel to eat. I cook to eat. And I bake to eat--often daily, especially since I found this book. This book truly is for "the modern baker. Read morePublished 20 months ago by Don Kline
I had received this book in excellent condition and couldn't have been happier. It has many wonderful recepies in it and Chef Malgieri's shortcuts are very helpful. Read morePublished 20 months ago by Marc
The content (recipes & techniques) are wonderful BUT, the layout & typesize used make it difficult to read and practically pushes you to make mistakes in the kitchen. Read morePublished on August 27, 2012 by A. S. Hale
I use this book as my go to baking book. I have many baking books, but the recipes aren't as tasty as these. I do agree with other reviewers, this is not for beginners. Read morePublished on July 23, 2012 by lilmommy
In short: Interesting to read, easy to follow, in-depth background information, all surrounding a wealth of standard recipes, and unusual recipes. Excellent. Read morePublished on September 23, 2011 by All4Christ