- Explore more great deals on thousands of titles in our Deals in Books store.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your email address or mobile phone number.
One 10-inch cake, about 8 large servings
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, setting a rack in the middle level. Butter a 10-inch round cake pan, 2 inches deep, and cut a piece of parchment or wax paper to fit the bottom.
2. Chop the chocolate finely and place it in a small bowl over hot water to melt, stirring occasionally. Remove the bowl from the pan and cool the chocolate slightly.
3. In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter with half the sugar until it’s soft and light. Beat in the chocolate, then the yolks, one at a time, scraping the bowl and beater(s) often. Continue beating until the mixture is smooth and light.
4. Place the almonds in the bowl of a food processor and grind them finely, pulsing the machine on and off at 1-second intervals. Be careful that they do not become pasty. Stir the almonds and amaretti crumbs, then the flour, into the batter.
5. In a clean, dry bowl, whip the egg whites until they hold a very soft peak and whip in the remaining sugar in a slow stream. Continue to whip the whites until they hold a soft, glossy peak. Stir a quarter of the whites into the batter, then fold in the rest with a rubber spatula, so that no streaks remain.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake the cake about 40 minutes, until the center is firm when pressed with a fingertip.
7. Cool the cake in the pan for 5 minutes. The cake may sink slightly, though this does not affect its texture. Trim off any loose crust and invert the cake on a rack, remove the pan, and allow to cool completely.
8. Dust the cake with confectioners’ sugar and slide onto a platter.
My favorite part about this book is its time saving tip for baking. Don't bake.Published 27 days ago by jackie egger
Lovely book, good instructions. Malgieri's an excellent teacher.Published 10 months ago by Mary Karren
love this fellow. can hardly wait till Anna's birthday to give all these books. BARGAINS!!!!!!!Published 13 months ago by Inga Bartolec
I almost didn't buy this book because the picture on Amazon shows the cake as GREEN. It is really chocolate on the actual cover. Read morePublished 20 months ago by MV Trish
Every recipe I have tried from this book is absolutely delicious, savory or sweet. However, this book is not for the calorie counting, butter free or reduced cholesterol kind of... Read morePublished on October 18, 2013 by Ana Llanos
GREAT BOOK, I HAVE MADE MANY RECIPES FROM THIS BOOK. GREAT PURCHASE. DELIVERY WAS VERY TIMELY. I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS BOOK TO ANYBODY INTERESTED IN BAKINGPublished on June 24, 2013 by Mary Jane Ross