4.0 out of 5 stars Really.. Did you read the same book I did?
Published on September 10, 2012 by Reviewer 085

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK!!
Published on November 3, 2000

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK!!, November 3, 2000
By A Customer
This book is down right awful. The drawings in it could have been done by a 5 year old, and from what little I forced myself to read I've determined that the writing is somewhere around the 10'th grade level.. What is really bad about this book, is that after laying out a disclaimer that the author and publisher aren't responsible for your injury, you are told about a dozen different ways to very likely kill yourself. I am not kidding. The techniques in this book are extremely dangerous, and the pictures are misleading.
Please do not buy this book. You will learn nothing you can't glean from watching a highlander movie or even 1 episode of the series. Literally. A total waste of money, and I am ashamed to have bought this utter garbage.

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely useless, January 31, 2009
I have a copy of this book, but it isn't worth the paper it's printed on. This is NOT an instruction manual, nor does it contain any useful training exercises. It would be impossible to learn any semblance of a sword fighting art by reading this book. I do not consider myself a very judgmental person, and i try to be polite as much as possible, but i do not think it harsh of me to say that this book is completely useless. If you wish to learn swordplay, buying this book is not a good idea.
I am truly surprised that this work was even published.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really.. Did you read the same book I did?, September 10, 2012
This review is from: The Modern Swordsman: Realistic Training For Serious Self-Defense (Kindle Edition)
I read this book with some skepticism. I saw the reviews and was not encouraged. The horrible reviews of this book are (assuming the authors had basic knowledge of the arts) based in arrogance and prejudice (as 90% of negative reviews of any martial art system or book tend to be). This book is NOT a conventional martial arts book. The Author stepped outside the dojo and re approached the concept of long blade usage in modern paradigms. While I could pull a hundred statements from the book I would disagree with I cannot but help to respect the fresh and unique approach the author took. If you are looking for a book on how to impress your friends with fancy kata look elsewhere. If you are looking for a book that gives you basics of Iaido/Iaijitsu, Kendo look elsewhere. If you are looking for a book that will help you re-evaluate and re-think classical techniques in a modern setting. If you are looking for 21st century Kenjitsu, then this is a book you should own. I enjoy reading this book and reflecting on ways to adapt what I have learned in the dojo over the years to the street. As a result when I teach, as a result of the influence of this book a few others like it, I find myself focusing on real world scenarios more concisely and realistically. Once again, I could write a counter manifesto arguing with the author at times point by point with his theories. But I must bow with deep respect when I look at the freshness and totality of this excellent and undervalued contribution to the martial arts body of knowledge.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste the money, June 2, 2000
Everything in this book is so basic, I might have gleaned useful information from it back in third grade. You could learn more from watching "The Highlander", or an Errol Flynn movie.

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting book that promotes the use of the sword for self-defense., January 5, 2014
There has been many reviews on this book which are completely negative; however, I always attempt to be objective and fair in all my reviews. I have also studied and taught several blade arts (Kenjutsu, Wakizashi-jutsu, Tanto-jutsu) in my more than 60 years of study in numerous martial arts. This is not to say that many of the criticisms are not valid. Indeed, if you are seeking an authentic traditional sword art, whether it be Japanese or European, this is not the book for you. I also agree that some of the illustrations are not very good because they fail to show the complete action of every cut and stab; nevertheless, this book (The Modern Swordsman by Fred Hutchinson) does have some redeeming qualities. For example, the explanations and illustrations of the various sword types used around the world and some of the drills are also very good.

This text is organized into six chapters. Chapter one provides an overview of different types of sword models. The second chapter covers basic training tips. The third chapter deals with aggressiveness and power training. The four chapter explains methods to increase speed and accuracy. The fifth chapter shows some advanced training techniques. The final chapter has some fighting tips if you intend to use the sword for self-defense. This book also has a good bibliography and suggested reading section if you desire to study further on the use of the sword or other self-defense topics.

If you desire to learn a traditional sword art this book may not be what you are looking for, but if you are seeking a good basic introduction to the use of the sword for self-defense, you might want to check out this volume.

Rating: 3 Stars. Joseph J. Truncale (Wakizashi-jutsu: An official basic manual of Bushi Satori Ryu)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Modern Swordman - is a great place to start!, June 6, 2013
If you are entirely new to the concept of even handling a sword then this book is for you! It provides you with some very interesting insight into what basic skills a person needs to handle a sword. The drawings are simple but you will still get the idea of what the author is saying. This book is designed for "realistic training" by helping a person, with the right mind set, to develop their skills in handling a sword! If you are a seasoned highly trained swordman then maybe it's a viable refresher for you. However, if everything about swords is TOTALLY new to you then one has to start somewhere. This book is as good a place to start as any in learning the real meaning of what you need to know once you place something as lethal as a sword in your hands.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite the quality I was expecting, December 20, 2011
The cover to the book is very nice, but that is about as far as the quality goes. The hand drawn illustrations are of a 3rd grade quality, and to be honest, the writing is right there with it. I'm a bit disappointed to say the least.

5.0 out of 5 stars All hail the Knights of old, October 7, 2013
I must tell this book was so much more than I was hoping for. I am a sword collector and enjoy sword from the days of Gladiators and Rome to the Medieval period I have a collection of swords that are authentic, sharp and ready for use. Although I find it highly unlikely that I may ever have to use my Sword this book made want to practice and learn more about swords and how they were used. I truly recommend this book for the Modern Swordsman like myself it expalins purpose and gives you practical advice on how to start training with swords. You will enjoy it if you are a Lord or the Rings, Gladiator, Spartacus fan because it brings the sword enthusiast out and teaches you how to work a sword, how to practice and how to defend your self. Nice read thoroughly enjoyable.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Modern Swordsman Review, November 24, 2008
A very good guide for basic swordsman skills, provides good guidance on physical training to prepare for wielding a sword.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners., January 1, 2013
This is a very good book for beginners, but is also good for those that have experience and may have become a bit "rusty". A lot of good advice and some excellent exercises for getting back up to speed and back in fighting form.

Rate and Discover Movies