Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Modified (The Biotics Trilogy, #1)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on January 3, 2013
The first 30 pages or so were promising, but it quickly degenerated into a cliched teen romance. Young girl falls head over heels for most beautiful boy at space school. I finally had to just stop reading. It was so sugar coated I could feel my teeth getting cavities. I would not recommend this book to anyone over 13 to 14 years of age.
on October 16, 2012
The Modified is pure genius in creativity and sci-fi phenomenon.

This story is full of adventure and creative Sci-Fi imagination. Not only is it sci-fi, but also Dystopian...two of my favorite genres. Just the modification process alone is pure adrenaline. How do authors come up with incredible storylines like this? I ask myself that daily.

Kenley doesn't see her father very often because he is a scientist, never being able to discuss his work. When the draft comes around, Kenley never imagined she would be picked, along with her best friend. All the recruits are taken to a secret facility where the modification process takes place, and then they begin their training. They were sworn to secrecy, not even families knowing what is happening to them. The recruits are the last hope for Earth in the intergalactic war with the Bringers.

Ok, that is not much of a short synopsis but I truly do not want to give out ANY spoilers to this incredible story. It was such a fun and exciting read, I am still baffled by the uniqueness of it. There is a little romance, conflict between fellow recruits, and some comical moments where I found myself laughing out loud. All qualities of a good book in my opinion. Oh, and the most important part, the twists and turns and CLIFFHANGER at the end. Yeah, doesn't that always get you? The cliffhangers? It definitely leaves you wanting more and having anxiety for the next release!!
on November 1, 2012
I won this book from the fantastic author, Tiffany King. If you don't know her work, then you need to go to her Amazon page RIGHT NOW! Anyway, she had read this book and did a giveaway. I was very lucky to win the eBook. I was unable to start it right away because I had other commitments; however, I am so glad that I did read it!!

Best Part of Book: I am not sure where to begin on this section. I loved Kenley and Landon so much. Joey was an awesome best friend and I even loved Galileo (he was a AI computer). This is a sci-fi type book but it is not too much sci-fi. You know that there is advancements in the technology but it isn't overwhelming. Kenley is an amazing character who struggles (at times) with her new powers. I loved the way CA Kunz writes Kenley because you can tell that she is struggling but wants to make others proud. I love Joey. He is funny and a wonderful friend to Kenley. Landon *swoon-alert* truly cares about Kenley and will do all that he can (without moving too fast) to be there for her.

Not So Great About Book: THE ENDING KILLED ME! I cried and there is a cliffhanger! UGH!! I am not sure when the next book comes out but TRUST ME I am going to be reading it!! CA Kunz does a great job of leaving the reader wanting MORE!!
on February 9, 2013
I really hate writing negative reviews, so usually if a book (especially by an indie author) is not good I just skip it. But seeing all the glowing reviews here - one reason I shelled out $ for this - I felt I had to add something.

The pros: Good concept and could've been the start to a very good series. I found myself editing in my head, but much less than with many books, even by "name" authors. The talent is there and the world building was interesting. I finished in a few hours. The reading level was very simple.

The cons: I probably wouldn't complain if the book was free or $0.99. But the price was too high for the product. The characters were basically not developed beyond shells. Kenley, the MC, was just oblivious to everything except this boy she sees. I mean come on! You find out that you're going to be genetically modified forever, your father is the head of the project, you can't tell anyone, and NO ONE asks any questions about the procedure or what to expect?! Even when the MC has the chance? Then toward the end of the book a critical piece of info is casually revealed about another MC, and it seemed like the author just decided to make him that way at that point. All the characters were like that - completely undeveloped. But Kenley was just dumb. All these clues thrown at her and she never questions them! I wanted to slap her. Then there was basically no background. What are these aliens and why or when did they attack earth? How did the world change? Very little was even touched and while I realize this was the first book in a series, it is the place the lay this foundation. Basically all you got was Kenley mooning over Landon and their classes and a LOT of frustration. You don't care about these characters other than to will them to not be so stupid. I'd like to find out what happens, but in this economy I can't shell out $3 for a book that is such a huge disappointment.
Edit: had wrong name of author...
If you want a really good alien/sci-fi book for the same price, try Gravity by Melissa West . If you're looking for a book for middle school age or younger, The Modified is simple enough (though not at all challenging).

I hope this author evolves, because as stated there is promise. I've read (or attempted) much worse. It did hold my interest, even if it was out of frustration and hope that it would get better ;)
on October 26, 2012
Earth is at war. And so a worldwide draft has been issued. Having lost her brother 2 years earlier to the same war Kenley vows to do anything to avenge her brothers death. Even if it means biological mutation. In order to learn to harness her powers Kenley will travel to the Magnus Academy where she meets Landon Shaw and her world is forever changed. As you follow Kenley's tale you get to be with her every step of the way. From the modification process, to her training, all the way to her division assignment. As she learns what it means to Modified and a soldier for the Allied Federation. Kenley is determined to prove that she deserves to be among the elite and that she can handle any situation thrown her way. With her friends at her side she discovers a shocking truth that alters her world forever.

Though this book has a few editing errors, the story of Kenley and her friends keeps you engrossed to the end and leaves you asking what will happen next?

I loved the story and I loved the action, but I really wish I could have seen more of Kenley's training in each of the division's. I found the moments where the recruits actually got to use their powers my absolute favorites and wish that there were more of them. But every story has to start somewhere. I am sure that more action will come in the sequel, especially after the way it ended. Which I just loved! This book is full of completely magical moments, so go out and read the book!
on August 18, 2015
Great imagination, in the technical area, but the teen love angle became really boring and infantile in a short time. After a while I found myself skimming through large parts of the material because of it.
on December 20, 2012
I read this book as quickly as I could absorb it. Fantastic futuristic sci/fi The story was fantastic.I highly recomend this book to anyone who read "The Stand" or"The Hunger Games Trilogy" it kept me on the edge of my seat, as soon as I finished it I ran to the computer to order the next book in the trilogy. Unfortunately it is not out yet, but you can bet I'll be waiting!
on October 14, 2012
My review:

When CA Kunz first published The Childe series, I was surprised and The Modified is a brilliant start for the new The Biotics series! The Modified is well-written, the dystopian settings are uniquely combined with science fiction and romance. The Modified is a page-turner and it captures your attention from the very first page.

Plot:

Meet Kenley, a seventeen years old elite soldier joining the Magnus Academy and preparing for the fight with the Bringers. The Bringers is unknown alien race which has been trying to take over Earth. At the Magnus Academy Kenley meets Landon who is the son of a legendary hero. When Kenley and Landon are seeing each other, sparks are flying! Their relationship is challenged by the surrounding circumstances. Kenley knows how important her training is for her and so does Landon. But neither of them can hide their feelings for each other.

I think the world CA Kunz created was unique. I truly enjoyed the dystopian world and especially that the world was threatened by the alien race. I am not usually very big fan of science fiction, but it was fascinating. The training facility and the idea of modification of people was engrossing.

Characters:

The authors did again a wonderful work with characters. Both the main characters and the supportive characters were strong, interesting and with lot of different stories to tell. They were colorful and vivid. The dialogue had an important role to play and it was sparkling! The dialogues between the characters was flowing naturally, it was fun to read and very entertaining.

Kenley and Landon and their growing relationship was my favorite part of the story. Kenley was fun to read, she was strong, stubborn and a real kick-butt heroine. Landon was adorable! You can't help but like him. He is one of the most adorable young adult male protagonists what I have read so far. He is a guy who would be very easy to fall for.

Generally:

If you want to read a new series which will spell you and keep you hostage and not letting you go, this is a book for you!
on January 5, 2013
This story is easy to read and wonderfully original. The characters are well developed, the scenes flow beautifully,and the descriptions are vivid. I didn't want this one to end, and am impatiently awaiting the next! Very well written.
on October 12, 2012
This book was absolutely amazing!! The storyline was intriguing, the characters were believable, the romance was steamy and the premise kicked major butt. The Modified definitely tops my list in the dystopian category and makes me anxious to read the next book in the series. Kudus C.A. Kunz for creating a world I'd like to see on the big screen!!!