‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun non-Halloween Monster Story for kids of all ages!, September 26, 2012
This review is from: The Monsters' Monster (Hardcover)
This easily has to be my favorite of the books I've read this fall. The illustrations are cute, the language is cute and the characters are wonderful & memorable. What happens when 3 monsters (or so they call themselves) who live in a castle can't agree on which of them is the BEST monster? Why they make a monster!

What happens when said monster comes out all sugar sweet and with the cutest little lisp and the horrified monster trio thinks they've failed until their monster escapes from the castle and heads toward town? Well, you'll just have to read the book!

My 3 kids (age 3, 5 and 7) love this book. We read it in the car while waiting for Hailey and it's definitely one that will be staying on my shelves! It's a perfect lead into to Halloween, overnighters, birthday parties, and just for fun.

I was given a copy of The Monsters' Monster to read and review on Classic Children's Books. No money exchanged hands and I was not required to write a positive review.

5.0 out of 5 stars So much fun! And has a clear, positive message, September 5, 2012
This review is from: The Monsters' Monster (Hardcover)
I've been looking for a non-scary halloween story to start reading to my sons and this is the perfect book for us. I wasn't sure this was going to fit the bill when I read the title but I was so wrong. This story is so much fun. Its creative, fun and has a fantastic message. Plus, I love that it is not a Halloween story yet still has that element so we can start to talk about fall fun yet we will be able to read these through out the year. I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars ANOTHER WONDERFUL WORK BY PATRICK MCDONNELL, September 26, 2012
This review is from: The Monsters' Monster (Hardcover)
When a children's book has the name Patrick McDonnell, a Caldecott Honor Illustrator on it, I set up and take notice. His illustrations in Me . . . Jane (Mcdonnell, Patrick), the story of Jane Goodall when she was a child has become one of my favorite "new" children's books on the shelf. With this offering I am thinking I will add another to that stack of books.

Once, some where, during some time there lived in a large big and scary castle three little monsters who thought themselves the biggest, baddest monsters to be found! They argued constantly who was the baddest of three. Who could complain the loudest? Who was the most miserable? Who could throw the most terrible tantrums? The argument went on and on. One day they decided to build a MONSTERS' monster...the biggest and baddest monster of all in order to end their argument.

At this point they gathered wire, old shoes, smelly old socks, gunk, gauze, goo, staples, tape and tacks with a bit of glue and began their project.

At this point folks...thin Frankenstein!

Well they got the MONSTER built finally and when the lightening hit...guess what? IT'S ALIVE!

Of course things don't work out quite like our three little monsters thought it would but I am not going to tell you what happened because I hate spoilers. Suffice to say that there are lessons to be learned!

This book is the ideal Halloween read for the little ones. It is nonthreatening, not scary and you will get more giggles than screams when you read this one to your child or grandchild.

The art work is pure McDonnell and a delight to they eye. While the text well tells the tale, it is filled with action words with plenty of bangs, crashes and smashes...all in good fun.

When all is said and done there is not much to not like about this read and it most certainly belongs on the book shelf on any child.

Don Blankenship
The Ozarks

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming, January 8, 2013
Kristen Trimarche (Scottsdale, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Monsters' Monster (Hardcover)
This has hit among the top of our favorite children's books! My almost five year-old son belly laughs in anticipation every time I approach reading a "Dank You!" and I enjoy the sweet sentiments throughout the story. My husband was a big fan of Mutts, which is how I decided on purchasing it as my son's Christmas book - definitely a good choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big award written all over it, October 2, 2012
This review is from: The Monsters' Monster (Hardcover)
"The Monster's Monster," written and illustrated by Patrick McDonnell, has big award written all over it. Get it now, and you'll be able to tell your friends you were ahead of the curve.

Three little monsters, Grouch (who has a horn), Grump (who is hairy), and Gloom'n'Doom (two-headed) throw tantrums, say "no!", and fight with one other all the time.

Like some children I seem to remember, they are very bad ... but not as bad as they aspire to be. Resourcefully, they build themselves a bigger monster in hopes he will do their dirtier work for them.

Only - spoiler alert -- it doesn't go as planned.

When a lightning bolt brings the Frankenstein-like monster to life, he looks around in wonder says, "Dank you! Dank you! Dank you!" then goes on to become about the most delightful monster in the history of literature. I won't spoil the rest, but I will say powdered sugar doughnuts, seagulls and the glistening ocean figure into the denouement.

McDonnell, who draws the Mutts comic strip in much the same understated, white-spacious style used here, won a Caldecott Honor for his highly original biography of Jane Goodall earlier this year. Both books share the underlying theme that the world darned well ought to be marveled at and appreciated, but the Halloween book takes the cake on kid-appeal.

Thoughtful, emotionally meaningful to a child, surprising and funny - "The Monster's Monster" is what a picturebook is supposed to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars A charming book, October 1, 2012
David S. Andersen (Sioux Falls, SD USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Monsters' Monster (Hardcover)
My 5-year old daughter and I give this two thumbs up. It's a charming story and well illustrated. In a glut of mediocre children's books on the market this one stands out.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Dank you" for this book!, September 23, 2012
This review is from: The Monsters' Monster (Hardcover)
Who is the scariest monster of all? When you are a group of scary monsters, and you can't decide among yourselves, sometimes you have to build your own monster. The biggest, baddest monster EVER.

But what happens when your Biggest, Baddest Monster Ever isn't so bad, isn't so scary?

Maybe there is more to the world than just being the biggest and baddest? And maybe it's up to a monster's monster to lead them?

A wonderful little tale of unexpectedly finding a new way to be happy. As taught by the Biggest Baddest Monster Ever.

Thank you to Little Brown for this review copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, May 25, 2014
This review is from: The Monsters' Monster (Hardcover)
First read it with all the other monster books to my toddler, and found it so refreshing and likable. My kids loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful story!, February 5, 2014
This review is from: The Monsters' Monster (Hardcover)
This is the current favorite book of my 3 year old son. The story is sweet, and the pictures are delightful. It also has a nice message about being true to yourself and not just following the group.

5.0 out of 5 stars My five year old grandson loved it., October 31, 2013
This review is from: The Monsters' Monster (Hardcover)
It was a very sweet story of a gentle monster. The little monsters who created him thought they were creating a big, bad monster and were changed themselves when he turned out to be gentle.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Monsters' Monster
The Monsters' Monster by Patrick McDonnell (Hardcover - September 4, 2012)
$16.99