5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!
Published on December 8, 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars A THIRD SERVING ?
A previous reviewer wrote that Mr. Bennett's first two books on morals and virtue were wonderful, and could we look forward to a third serving? If we can it will need a thesis such as moral gambling or the virtue of pulling slots. For all his lecturing to the unwashed about morals and virtue, something is obviously missing. This joker's moral compass pointed him right...
Published on April 16, 2004 by Albert F. Millheiser

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, December 8, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Moral Compass: Stories for a Life's Journey (Hardcover)
My husband and I don't have any kids yet, but we bought this book to read to each other. It is wonderful! Some stories are touching, some are funny, some are quite clever, and all are moral. Every story is very interesting and yet somehow manages to secretly slip in a point about being good to yourself and others. This book is thick with lots of stories, but they're all very short. We both think this is one of the most entertaining books we have ever bought.

5.0 out of 5 stars Basic Tried and True Values in Short Story Form!, July 9, 2000
Bernadette A. Moyer (Lutherville, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Moral Compass (Paperback)
Loved it! It is a wonderful book that brings the reader back to the basic tried and true values. I love William Bennett, he makes sense of this world and cuts to the core. You can not help but agree with him. The stories told offer insight into many of life's dilema's that may arise from joy, hurt, love, anger, and basically a sense of fair play. At any time there is something to be gained by each story told. It is very well written and attention grabbing. Worth the purchase!

4.0 out of 5 stars I thought taht it was really wellwritten compared to others., November 24, 1997
By A Customer
(If there is an age limit to this contest, then I am sorry!! I am 13 now) I was only 12 when I first started reading Mr. Bennet's books. I read the Book of Virtues before I read the Moral Compass. They were both wonderful books. I didn't under stand all of them, but then again, that is kind of good because then I could read them later on. Anyway, having read both of his books, I would have to say that he repeated morals over and over again in both of his books, but mainly in the second one. I know that there were different examples of the morals, but it still seemed kind of redundant. Other than that one small thing, I thought Mr. Bennet's books were outstanding and extremely well- written pieces of literature. Thank you very much for reading my review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic for returning to things we have forgotten., June 15, 1999
By A Customer
Beginning with the words of two old lullabyes for children, this collection of stories from so many corners of the world emerges gently from the times and places of their origins. Stories of depth, of substance, of value. Stories with an imagery of old to captivate the child in each of us.
The quote by W. B. Yeats characterizes the way in which so many of the stories' authors reach out to the young reader (or listener): "I have spread my dreams under your feet. Tread softly because you tread upon my dreams."
These stories are truly an opportunity to share intimately in the dreams of daring dreamers. They comprise the moral stuff to give directions in life's journey; and thus, a 'compass'.
Many stories so obviously written for children; yet, some of even greater value to adults who have kept the heart of a child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it for someone you love., October 18, 1999
By A Customer
This book, and its predecessor, The Book of Virtues, are indispensable to your family's library. I gave them both to my entire family for Christmas last year, and kept one of each for myself. Whether you simply value good literature, yearn for the stuff of your youth (or your grandmother's youth), or desire quality stories to share with your nieces, nephews and grandchildren, you need both of these books.

4.0 out of 5 stars A massive book, but lots of nuggest of wisdom inside, January 3, 2009
Amazon Customer (Salisbury, MD USA) - See all my reviews
"The Moral Compass" is an anthology of short stories and poems from around the world, with a tendency towards American history and mainstream Christianity in some of the tales. As the title indicates, this book centers on what it means to be a good, moral citizen of society -- through stories that exemplify the best traits of good character. It's divided into 7 chapters that cover such topics as family, childhood, marriage, citizenship, strong moral values and purpose in life.

The book is fairly easy to read but enormous in size at over 800 pages. It took me a good while to complete from front to back, but you can just as easily use it to read only certain stories, as you see fit. (There's no particular reason to have to read it from front to back).

Sometimes I felt that the book could have encapsulated the same points with fewer stories (esp. the many Christmas stories that I could have done without) -- cutting down on the mammoth size of this volume. However, I'd recommend this book for parents with children ages 2 and up who may wish to read it to aloud at bedtime.

Overall, the stories were pretty much well-selected and many were very inspiring, containing little nuggets of wisdom that we would all do well to live by. But keep in mind that good number of stories in "The Moral Compass" seem to be oriented towards a mainly Catholic / Protestant Christian audience in the U.S.

4.0 out of 5 stars MORE WONDERFUL SERMON ILLUSTRATIONS. . ., May 31, 2000
for clergy of all denominations!
Mr. Bennett in this volume (as well as it's companion "The Book of Virtues" provides ample evidence that positive moral and ethical values are not dead (even if they appear at times to be in hiding).
A wonderful second serving. Might one hope for a third?

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST MUST MUST MUST have!!!!, December 23, 2009
I absolutely LOVE this book. Every morning I read a story (they are short enough to do in less than 5 minues) and send my kids off to school with something of value to think about and pattern their day after. I am hearing the talk about the stories more and more, and they always want to hear more! Yeah! The OLDIES are the GOODIES!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect bedtime reading..., August 2, 2009
This review is from: The Moral Compass (Paperback)
I've been reading this to my boys before bed for a while now. It is a really good way to spark conversations about moral issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful guide to teaching right and wrong., June 30, 1998
By A Customer
Every parent and teacher should be required to sharethese stories with their children. In a world filled with people who believe that God needs to bend to human changes and weakness, Bennett understands that the real quest in life is for humanity to strive to be like Christ. These are great stories that show that right is right and that there is no compromising God's will.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Moral Compass: Stories for a Life's Journey
The Moral Compass: Stories for a Life's Journey by William J. Bennett (Hardcover - October 10, 1995)
Used & New from: $0.01