The Moral Sayings Of Publius Syrus: A Roman Slave (1855)
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$13.64 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

VINE VOICEon March 24, 2012
Format: Hardcover
One of the most profound observations about stoicism is that of its two greatest philosophers, one was an Emperor (Marcus) and the other was a slave (Epictetus). Syrus would belong in the latter category, winning freedom and fame like Epictetus through the strength of his wisdom and ideas. One of my favorites: that "avarice is the source of its owns sorrows." It explained what I tried to grapple with personally a few months back. Like the Stoic exercises most of the his meditations return to the same themes, trying to twist and turn over the matter until it's been seen from every angle.

I bought the book after Nassim Taleb mentioned it in an interview and am glad I did. My (print) copy was actually one of the new books digitized Google Books from the University of Michigan Library. However, books like these are hard to read linearly, since the exhortations tend to blur together after too many in a row. I like to read the whole thing cover to cover, marking the ones that catch my immediate attention and then when I return back to them later they are like relay points into the text. It ought to take several tours before you've been able to get to all the pages with a fresh mind. Filed under "life."
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on July 1, 2014
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Not very interesting. A couple of gems in the whole book. Too stilted for my taste. Should not be published as a book.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again