Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 7, 2010
I've had this book in my personal library for some time. I grew up with having one of my very best friends a member of the Mormon religion, and I have read many books over the years trying to learn why mainstream Christianity considers Mormonism a cult. Mrs. Scott obviously researched her topic very well and took an honest look into the faith that she loved and lived for so long. When the teachings of Mormonism are exposed, it does not take long to see that they do not mesh with the teachings found in the Old & New Testament. I've noticed that other reviewers have criticized her for following her new faith "blindly" and have said that she was just "lovestruck" with the faith of her husband, but having had a friend who is a staunch Mormon, I know that Mrs. Scott would not have dismantled such a strong belief system without looking critically at Biblical Christianity to examine its claims to see for herself whether they are true or not. I also find unfounded the criticism that she "continuously" plugs her "brand" of Christianity--though Mrs. Scott and I are of different denominations, I did not find that she was trying to persuade someone to join a denomination but as all true Christians would, she was trying to present the simple truth of the gospel as found in Scripture. I look forward to ordering a copy of the current edition to bring me up to date on the most recent research. However, it mainly boils down to this: the God revealed in the Old & New Testament is NOT the god revealed through the teachings of Mormonism, and Mrs. Scott addresses these teachings in a critical though non-Mormon-bashing way. The truth has set her free, and I continually pray that for my friend, her family and all Mormons.

Update: I am now reading the Kindle edition of the most recent edition of this book. The only problem I am finding is that many of the websites she references are now no longer available which would not be the fault of the author or publisher. At any rate, much evidence can still be found on the Tanners' website [...]. She also includes new footnotes and explanations of her revision of the previous edition which I found helpful.
on July 27, 2013
I could not give it the full five because I am an agnostic and the christer promos were tedious. However, the work is well documented and presents an accurate, updated account of LDS currents and problems while explaining the theology and structure of the institution in a surprisingly informative and well written way. Ms. Scott's adroit usage of her personal experience as a Mormon kept the narrative interesting and she is one author who comes off as knowledgeable and credible.
on January 23, 2014
The research is sound and the historical attestation of the facts is solid. The presentation resonates with a person who has gone through the spiritual and mental trauma of discovering that the faith he learned from childhood is based on a carefully managed system of lies. Although most of what Scott presents here was of no great surprise to this "apostate" of many years, some of the research served to further enlighten and liberate me.

The book gets a little soft when it attempts to support already established facts with evangelical testimony, which is not based on facts at all. Perhaps the fundamentalist verbiage is attractive to so-called anti-Mormons, but it may cause other people to view the entire work as a screed against the LDS Church and all its tributaries. Fortunately for me, I was able to look beyond that element and view the validity of the research.
on February 17, 2014
I cannot comment on the fairness or accuracy of the author's positions other than that it appears well documented and citations made. If accurate in all aspects, which I am sure the Elders of the LDS would deny, then there is much to be concerned on the the element of faith versus historical accuracy and theological conflicts. Certainly the book does present an insight into many aspects of the beliefs of LDS for those of us who are not Mormons.

To be fair, each religious faith has issues that are not necessarily logical in history; theology; physical matter; and actions done in the name of that faith. Whether it be inquisitions; forced conversions; destruction of others for religious motivation; or blind adherence, and the resistence to countradiction.

Recently America had a Mormon bishop run for President of the United States. It is interesting as to how his religion and his practical application of law and process would be affected. Religion has been off limits as a discussion of acceptability of a Presidential candidate except for the immense concern and "papal coins" discussion when John F. Kennedy ran for President and the current President, Barack Obama, who was alleged to be a Muslim, a Black Church separatist etc. We have a lot to learn about world conditions, foreign affairs and American history to be intelligent selectors of our elected representatives.
on April 17, 2009
I was impressed by The Mormon Mirage. Latayne Scott is a gifted writer with a thorough, first-hand knowledge of Mormonism. The book is filled not only with excellent information, but keen analysis. (But for more on the Book of Mormon, see my book:Understanding the Book of Mormon: A Quick Christian Guide to the Mormon Holy Book.) Moreover, she demonstrates genuine kindness and empathy toward Latter-day Saints, based on her positive experiences growing up in the LDS Church. You will not find any bitter Mormon-bashing in this book. This newest edition is up to date on all the changes in Mormonism over the last three decades. The additional material provides excellent insight into current trends and problematic issues facing the Mormon world. Ms. Scott is very tuned in to the current climate, and she addresses all of the key issues and debates. As a pastor and former Mormon myself, people often ask me to recommended books about Mormonism. This one has risen to the top of my list.
on July 25, 2014
This book is very well researched and provides abundant notes and sources to validate its conclusions. The author writes with the correct tone. It's a pleading tone and not an attack tone or a scolding tone. The scope of the book is comprehensive and at the same time has good depth. I highly recommend it.
on July 30, 2009
Along with Latayne Scott, I am also a former Mormon. I think she did an excellent job of covering a lot of bases. She includes resources for more indepth study. Her view is compassionate and factual.
on June 14, 2009
Very well written. Current and up-to-date review of the Mormon church, its doctrines and its direction in the 21st century. Very gentle review by a former active Mormon.
on October 18, 2014
I had owned this book years ago and really liked what she had to say (I am not LDS but live in SLC). I lost that copy and glad to have found a replacement. You can not buy it in UT.
on December 25, 2012
It cuts to the chase. This is a must read for all. I could not put the book down and it is well written.