The Mortal Instruments
Format: MP3 CDChange
Price:$34.35 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on August 19, 2010
1. Amazing Heroes. I don't think there are enough words in the English language to express my love for Jace. And Simon. But specifically Jace. As a matter of fact, a speechless stance is probably the best to take anyway. If I'm not talking I can concentrate more fully on wiping away the drool.

2. Strong Heroines. Isabelle is definitely a strong female character, and so is Clary, but Clary makes some mistakes. We get to watch her grow over the course of the books, make her way, come into her own. She makes good choices - she makes poor choices. She's relatable. She's feisty. I want her for a friend.

3. Secondary Characters. There's not one token character anywhere in this entire series. All are multi-dimensional, richly drawn, vital, and each one serves at least a dual purpose. Even the Church the Cat.

4. Setting/imagery/worldbuiling/kick ass writing. You can see the lights of the Manhattan skyline and smell the scent of crisp apples and night blooming flowers. You can feel the weight of the weapon in your hand, the bass thumping against the walls of the club, the pressure of the stele as it draws the rune on your skin, and the crack in your heart as it begins to break. Whether New York City or Idris, you are THERE.

5. The covers. Do you SEE THEM? Aren't they PRETTY?

6. The fans. Best fans ever. Because we LOVE IT.

7. Cassie. She's a doll. She is vigilant about interacting with fans. She answers questions frequently on Twitter, has a Google group that she's very actively involved in, and she blogs on Live Journal as well. You can get more information about how to connect with her on her website.

8. The graphic novels! TH3RD WORLD will be publishing The Mortal Instruments as comic books in monthly installments first, then bind them together as graphic novels - one for each book. Savvy fans were treated to a sampler on Free Comic Book Day.

9. The Prequel. The Infernal Devices kicks off with CLOCKWORK ANGEL on August 31, 2010.

10. THERE ARE MORE ON THE WAY! In addition to the already anticipated THE CITY OF FALLEN ANGELS, due out spring 2011, there will be two more books in The Mortal Instruments series, making the total six in all.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 12, 2011
I may be a little late to the game with this one. But that's OKAY. A good book still deserves a good mention. And with that mention, I would like to take a moment for the Mortal Instruments: City of Bones, City of Ashes, and City of Glass novels written by Cassandra Clare.

I believe it was shear fate that I read these books. You see, it started a few weeks ago while on vacation in Florida. Those pesky flights can be somewhat underwhelming. Waiting in airport terminals is boring. Airplane seats are very uncomfortable. And there is something just simply unnerving about being 32,000 feet in the air in a rocking tube. I'm not a bird. That scares me. So, I try my best to divert my attention. With my nifty smart phone in hand before take off, I reached out to the closest E-book store armed with Starbucks in hand. And thus the adventure began.

All three books are on all sorts of recommended reading lists. I've seen them before while browsing through Barnes and Noble. Certainly the covers all look great. I know, I know... You're not supposed to judge a book by its cover. But these really looked NEAT! None the less my interest was peeked, so I downloaded the first book.

What the Books Are About:

I don't want to give too much of the storyline away. It's hard not to. The plot line has been done before. Let's face it, nothing is original anymore. Boy meets girl. Boy has super powers. Girl has super powers. Insert struggle here. There are a few fights here and there. Good wins triumphantly. That's about the most I'm going to give away.

But what makes this series so interesting? What's so special? The little tweaks in the plot line are all sorts of fun. Every time something starts to go right, someone just has to go in and throw that monkey wrench in the works, fouling everything up again. The author has the story line suspense twisted in such a way that it draws the reader in, forcing them to want to keep going, to see what happens next. Her use of foreshadow and imagery keep the story alive and the imaginations running free. The details and emotions are done so well, I often felt like I was watching a soap opera produced by Stephen Spielberg mixed with a blockbuster action movie. That sounds like a weird combination, but it's true.

And then there is the content. This is considered a young adult book. The vocabulary isn't outstanding. But that's perfect for me. Reading all three books is more akin to sitting and watching a good movie. Everything flows naturally. It's a simple and entertaining read.

So far I've been a little vague. Like I said, I don't want to give too much of the story lines away. But let's use this example. If Harry Potter, Twilight, Underworld, and True Blood all got together and had a massive literary orgy, this series would be the result of that love fest. I mean really, these books have a little bit of everything. The characters consist of vampires, werewolves, warlocks, fairies, shadowhunters, demons, satin, god, heaven, hell, and angels. The scenery takes place in diverse places like New York City, grave yards, under-earth dungeons, to fairy palaces, and to mystical and whimsical cities. Mighty battles happens. Little personal struggles take place. A surprise gay twist is thrown in for good measure. That ever pesky love triangle exists. Some people die and some characters live. Sudden family ties are discovered and quickly regretted, in more than one dynamic way. And other family ties are broken. The stories are very enticing. And they do contain a little bit of everything. And by the time it's all done you will miss the characters.

Did I mention there is now a 4th book in the Mortal Instruments Series called City of Fallen Angels?! Guess who just purchased it through Amazon.com? Me!

Would I Recommend These Books?

Yes! Yes! Yes! By all means, please go out and buy this series. You won't be sorry. These are one of those few series I truly wish Hollywood would make a movie from. It's deserving of that. The entertainment value is high. The story line is thrilling. I found it so difficult to put these books down. And I would love to know what happened to that character at the end after that thing!? Ms. Clare, I do believe you owe me another book explaining that situation (oh that's right there IS another book!)

But none the less, please purchase this series. They are wonderful fantasy novels good for any age group from sixteen on up. I really do promise that this purchase will not be met with buyer's remorse.
on April 19, 2010
I've seen this book lying around and the sequels. finally picked it up and couldn't stop until after the third one. action packed, angels and demons, magic, and a reluctant love triangle. This makes Twilight just raw dough to this series, which is the icing on the cake. I'm 40+ something, and a reader of anything worthy. Wow! There is to be a forth book next year. I'm so looking forward to it. Bring it on...
on January 8, 2011
I'm so glad Amazon had a trilogy edition for these books! I didn't think I would love this series as much as I did...but I DO! I have fallen in love with the characters and the world that Cassandra has let me in to. I feel privileged to have access to this amazing story. The Twilight series does not compare. The love story, the yearning, just doesn't compare. I don't know how much more of this see-sawing I can take. I guarantee that you will love this series and I cannot wait until the 4th book comes out in April...I've already pre-ordered mine. This series has taken me away from all the stresses of every day life and allowed me to relax in the adventure of the Shadowhunters and Downworlders! I love The Mortal Instrument Series!!!!
on December 2, 2010
If you like reading about fairies, vampires, werewolves and the like, then this book is for you. This book is action packed and keeps you guessing till the end. There are no borring parts of the book. The characters are believable and likable. I liked that it is a three book series where there was only one true conflict that carried till the end of the third book. Highly recommend this anyone that likes mythical creatures, low level of romance and a high level of action.
on June 5, 2011
After reading the Twilight Saga more than 3 times each, I wanted something to get my mind off of Edward. Read The Host. Excellent (by the way). And then this series was recommended to me by my niece. Really liked the characters and action. Fun and a good distraction from the Twilight stuff. Definitely would recommend. The pre-quels (Clockwork books) are not as satisfying and a bit harder to get through, but I understand why C. Clare wanted to write them (several of the characters in the pre-quel come to play beginning in Book 4 of the series). They're fun, light, and entertaining. Definitely a Jace fan!
on March 3, 2013
...before going here. I tried twice. I couldn't do it, the writing was just that bad. Case in point: "He shrugged perceptibly." Constant 'ly' interruptions, an empty leading lady, and some of the worst dialogue I've ever read.

I'm not saying don't read it, by all means, give it a try, I'm just saying to try reading the first book before investing in the entire series. Hollywood greenlights a lot of garbage, don't assume that a movie deal makes this..."good". The idea feeding the book is great, the execution is terrible.

One of the worst writers ever.
on August 29, 2013
I love YA fiction. Done right, you can create a masterpiece. Done wrong, you get "City of Bones." How this ever became a movie is beyond me.

When writing for Young Adults, every page does not have to be dripping with teenage angst, unrequitted love, and shallow characters spelling out every insipid plot twist. However, it seems bookshelves today are overflowing with this dreck that tries to pass itself off as writing. "City of Bones" is no different, and that is an understatement. In fact, the book steal plot elements from both "Harry Potter" and "Star Wars" and smell a lot like "Twilight"

**Spoiler Alert**
Voldemort, wait I mean Valentine, starts a school club dedicated to maintaining the purity of wizarding... err I mean Shadowhunters... by destroying all half-bloods... oops Downworlders. Then his wife, Padme'... sorry Jocelyn... leaves him when Anakin... I mean Valentine... tries to kill the Jedi... ooops Downworlders. Jocelyn's two kids Luke and Leah... crap Jace and Clarry... don't realize they are related and end up making out.

But then Bella... I mean Clarry... has a really good guy friend, Jacob... I mean Simon... who is jealous of her and Edward... I mean Jace. It's good for him they are related... or does it really matter to them? **gag**

I barely made it through the first book, and I hated myself for it.

This book has given me hope that I, too, could pay someone's love-sick 15-year-old daughter to write me a best-selling novel.

Save your money...Save your mind... Save your dignity! Read a Terry Pratchett novel.
on May 28, 2013
I started this series by reading the Infernal Devices. That may have been my mistake. TID drew me into the Shadowhunter World and would not let go. I loved it like I love chocolate. However, after having read The Mortal Instruments, I have to say that Ms. Clare's writing improved substantially between the two series. Or, it could very well be that I prefer my romances historical instead of contemporary. The dialogue in the Mortal Instruments seems so forced and unnatural. I couldn't take any of the characters seriously, and really don't care about any of them. Clary irritates me and Jace is just a cardboard romance cutout. He's certainly no Will (and Simon is no Jem).

BTW, every time she writes "[so and so] threw up [his/her] hands..." I picture the character vomiting up a pair of hands. Every. Single. Time. It's time to drop that turn of phrase. Ugh.
on December 3, 2010
I must say these books are quite amazing. When I first bought them my expectations were rather low, but after finishing the first half of City of Bones I was hooked. The Mortal Instruments Series includes an exciting storyline, strong characters, and a cute love story. I love the magic involved and some unique twists on classic mystical beings. Even the book covers are beautiful. Only negatives I have is 1) It seems every 10 pages in every book someone has the coppery taste of blood in their mouth. It get very, VERY redundant. And 2) the cover of all the books is partially destroyed by the giant print of Stephenie Meyer's review. I understand wanting to draw in Twilight fans but they could have found been a tad more discreet. Overall though, it's a great read!