Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now DOTD

Format: Audio CDChange

on July 18, 2009
The company that put this CD together is either not familiar with classical music or what soothes a baby to sleep or both. While the CD is a great collection of classical music, it did not work for my toddler for 2 reasons:
1. The volume fluctuates throughout each piece. Some parts are so soft that if your child is not used to a quiet room, they will not fall asleep (my toddler would start singing to herself), and then other parts are so loud that it will wake a drowsy child up.
2. Not all classical music is slow and soothing. There are many energetic pieces on this CD that are not suitable for lulling a child to sleep. In my case, my toddler would start tapping her feet or hands to some of the pieces.
Don't pay attention to the music sampler, it only portrays the slowest parts to each piece, and hides the fact that many pieces speed up and get louder as they progress.
11 comment108 of 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 25, 2010
I love a lot of the pieces on here so I had high hopes for using this as bedtime music for my baby. Two MAJOR problems:
1) Some of the songs are start with nice soft soothing music and then bridge into bold robust pounding sections that will shake anyone awake!
2) The lazy publishers of this disc set did not bother to balance the sound from track to track, so there are some tracks that are MUCH louder than others, again, shakes me and baby both awake in the middle of listening. ARRRGH!!!
Both of these would have been easy fixes if someone wasn't just out to make a buck without putting in a little effort to "curate" the album. So disapointing.
0Comment67 of 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 19, 2007
This is a lovely CD for everyone. It is sincerely mellow with few exceptions and makes a soothing sound for the car (especially for long car rides). On the first of 2 cd's, the set up is a little odd. The first 2 songs are mellow and relaxing (just enough to help put a baby to sleep) then the 3rd song comes on like a thunderbolt and will wake the child if your not careful.
0Comment47 of 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 25, 2009
I put music on for the kids while they sleep to block out noise. I got this new CD and I put the first CD on repeat at a good volume level and tucked the kids in and left.. they were waking up all throughout the night that week and I couldn't figure out why... then I happened to be in the kitchen getting something to drink in the middle of the night and the music coming from their room was so loud and not soothing, I know I couldn't even sleep through it. Just listen to track 8 on the first CD sample they have here on Amazon to see an example of NOT the most soothing...

As one reviewer said, the volume levels are inconsistent.
Another reviewer gave it 5 stars but said "The first 2 songs are mellow and relaxing (just enough to help put a baby to sleep) then the 3rd song comes on like a thunderbolt and will wake the child if your not careful."

OK, call me crazy but how on earth does that make this "The most soothing lullabies in the Universe" ?!? Seriously misleading title.

I am going to have to rip the 2 CD's to my computer then make my own mix of the most soothing songs that are on here because I'd hate to think I wasted my money entirely. I love some of the songs, but the mix as a whole is terrible.
0Comment23 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 6, 2009
I have to admit, I wouldn't necessarily consider this collection the MOST soothing music in the universe. That title would have to go to Susie Tallman's CD "Classical Baby". But the music is nice. I ordered both to help sooth a fussy baby before bedtime, and I think "Classical Baby" does a much better job.
on October 10, 2009
This would be a great CD if the sound level was consistent. The first song is really soft so I would have the volume turned up so it can be heard but the other songs are louder so I have to turn it down or risk waking the baby. I have only listened to this CD twice because of the inconsistent volume we do not play this CD.
on July 10, 2008
I was very pleased with this collection. It is simply just beautiful classical music that hasn't been dumbed down for babies, like so many other albums seem to be. It also does NOT have any 'new age' like adaptions, which was a big plus for me personally. My daughter has not had any problems drifting to sleep while it's playing. I would definitely recommend this as a great first CD for your baby!
on February 8, 2008
These lullabies are infact very soothing. I have filled an MP3 player for my princess w/ lullabies, classical music and the Nutcracker and it helps w/ keeping her asleep all night by shadowing all other noises in the house until morning. I would recomend anyone to get this cd not only for a small child but for anyone who has trouble sleeping. These beautiful classical mastepieces help anyone fall peacefully asleep*
on October 2, 2010
When I found this album, I was looking for another that I had used as a daycare teacher several years ago. This album has many of the songs I was looking for including Clare de Lune. In general I like that it has a nice selection of classical music that I can introduce to my children and use it for calming/sleeping purposes. During one visit with the grandparents, my husband put this album on & both Granddad & baby were asleep in minutes!

I was amused to read some of the other reviews that bashed the volume changes between songs. To me this is an antiquated complaint. To fix the problem upload the album to your MP3 playing program (iTunes, etc.) assuming you bought the CD & didn't already download it in MP3 format, then arrange the songs so that the louder ones are eliminated or at the end. Finally, put the album onto your MP3 player or burn a new CD without the songs that cause problems...
on March 2, 2009
A nice collection of Classical music, but not especially for children (although it can be played for them from time-to-time). I think this is better suited for adults.