Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:$24.99

on November 26, 2005
As a child growing up in the 70's and 80's, I used to come home from school and watch The Munsters. I was absolutely fascinated with this series. The characters were hilarious, and the scripts were excellent! Now, the complete second season, comes to DVD in a 3 disc set. It features all 32 episodes from The Munsters second and final season. Don't forget about the 4 A&E Bios as bonus features! The 4 A&E Bios will be about, The Munsters, "America's First Family of Fright", Fred Gwynne, "More Than a Munster", Yvonne DeCarlo, "Gilded Lily", and Al Lewis, "Forever Grandpa". All packaged, in a Herman Munster head.

Take a good close look at Fred Gwynne's portrayal of Herman Munster. You will see that Herman get's more and more child-like, especially in "Prehistoric Munster", and "The Musician". Herman has now developed a very large booming laugh, the occasional temper-tantrums, and his always popular catchphrases, "Darn, Darn, Darn!!!" and "I'll kill 'em, I'll kill 'em, I'll kill 'em!!!"

Also, take a careful look at Al Lewis' sideburns. In the early episodes of Season 2, ("Herman's Child Psychology," "Herman the Master Spy," & "Bronco-Bustin' Munster") His sideburns were small, but take a look at the episodes called "Cyrano de Munster," "A Visit from Johann", and "Eddie's Brother", you will see that Al shaved much lower, and almost had some sort of a beard going on. A very neat trait for Grandpa to have!

Now, if you've only seen Season 2 episodes from TVLand, then you don't know what the original Season 2 theme is supposed to sound like. The original Season 2 theme of The Munsters is supposed to stop after Butch Patrick's name is shown. More theme music starts again when you see "Joe Connelly and Bob Mosher". That's the way it's supposed to be because when The Munsters originally aired on CBS, commercials used to be in that break between themes. TVLand edited the theme into one long version. The TVLand version, is incorrect. The DVD version, is correct.

Also, don't be shocked if some episodes do not feature the crashing door sound. That's the way it was originally supposed to be, because the producers (Joe Connelly and Bob Mosher) never intended for their to be a crash sound, but later added it to have more of an effect when you would see Herman come through the doors.

The box itself can also be a challenge to handle. What I have found to be handy, is just leave the inner "head" out of the original box.

The last three issues I would like to address, is space of episodes on the discs, B&W film turning sepia, and the audio quality of "Cyrano de Munster."

There are 32 half-hour episodes on this set, and four 40 minute biographies. If you have 3 double-sided discs, why not use the space appropriately? The episodes should have been spaced in this manner, seven episodes on Disc 1 A, and Disc 1 B, then 6 episodes on Disc 2 A, Disc 2 B, and Disc 3 A. Then place the four 40 minute biographies on Disc 3 B.

There is also a visible problem with some episodes turning sepia. Not all the episodes have their original rich B&W format. Some episodes have a yellow-brown tint that is visible by turning up the color on your television set. The only episode with real B&W, is "The Musician."

"Cyrano de Munster," probably has the worst audio quality of any "Munsters" episode. There is a light crackle sound that is continuous from about half-way through the episode, all the way to the start of the closing theme. It's annoying to hear "snap, crackle, and pop" for 10 minutes.

DVD info for The Munsters The Complete Second Season
Spoken language: English
Captioning: English, Spanish (On discs 1 & 2 only)

DISC 1; SIDE A

DISC 1; SIDE B
John Doe Munster
A Man For Marilyn
Herman's Driving Test
Will Success Spoil Herman Munster?
Underground Munster

Herman's Sorority Caper
Herman's Lawsuit
A Visit From the Teacher

DISC 3
America's First Family of Fright (A&E TV-ography)
Fred Gwynne: More Than a Munster (A&E TV-ography)
Yvonne De Carlo: Gilded Lily (A&E TV-ography)
Al Lewis: Forever Grandpa (A&E TV-ography)

(There is just one side to Disc 3)

Don't forget to check out:

The Munsters The Complete First Season
Munster, Go Home!
The Munsters' Revenge

... which are all on DVD!

~ENJOY!!!
22 comments|50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 27, 2005
Episode #53 "Herman's Peace Offensive" as a child in the 1960's was always my favorite, and needless to say it aired over and over. The problem is the public relations people at "TV Land" & "Nick at Night" told me that "we will never air it" In my opinion the scene (which I think is the one that "TV Land" & "Nick At Night" has a problem with happens at Herman's work locker) is really not all that bad. I'm not going to spoil it and tell what happens due to the fact that Munster fans old and new may never have seen this episode and with only 70 total episodes ever made it's a great treat to find out that an episode that they may never have seen will be included in this DVD set. This episode is one of the best that is filled with pranks galore, but more importantly a great lesson is learned which Herman teaches to Eddie. The viewers who have not yet seen this episode can decide if this episode should be banned. Beside this episode, some of the best were made so the entire second season should be greatly welcomed!!Wayne Lalevee
on September 3, 2005
I bought the first season DVD set, but this is the one I've really been waiting for. It has my two favorite episodes: the one with "Fair Deal Dan" starring Frank Gorshin as a crooked used car dealer, and the other featuring the battle between Herman and a new employee at the parlor--Clyde, the practical joker.

When TV Land aired the Munsters, they refused to show this episode. I always wondered why; now I read on here that they considered it "too violent".

How absurd. When TV Land started, it sounded like a great idea--a cable network dedicated to presenting old, classic TV series, maybe the way TCM presents old movies. This turned out to be a false promise. TV Land, typically, turned out to be a pure rubbish, run, now we learn, by a bunch of PC fascists who not only cut up episodes in order to fit in more commercials, but also censor which episodes we get to see depending on which offend their "enlightened" new age fascist sensibilities. Now the network is completely worthless, airing nought but awful 1970's & 80's sit-coms wall to wall. And to think the original reason I switched to satellite from cable was that I wanted TV Land and my cable company refused to carry it! Now it is just another of the 200 or so cable/satellite networks I get but never watch.

Thank god for DVD, and re-issues of old time TV series, uncut, unedited and in sequence. We need no longer be subject to the whims and censorships of the weepy, sensitive PC types that run networks like TV Land.

I'm looking forward to the release of this set. Hopefully soon Leave It To Beaver, Get Smart and other still unavailable series will get DVD'd, and we can spit on the network heads (and think of what "head" means on a ship and you have an idea what I think of TV Land and its program censors) and be our own program planners, without the supervision of the paternalistic and condescending experts who would decide what is fit for us to watch.
99 comments|153 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon October 12, 2005
Last August Universal released The Complete 1st Season of The Munsters. The set featured all 38 episodes plus the unaired pilot, but no extras. An independent 2-disc (243 min.) Munsters release called The Munsters: America's First Family of Fright (with extras) from Image Entertainment was also planned to arrive on August 24th, the same day as the Universal season set release. Fearing consumers would be confused by what they would be getting from the two Munsters sets, Image pulled their release with the intent to simply release it at a later date. But then Universal expressed interest in using it as extras for the Munsters season 2 set. Universal and Image negotiated and voila! - The Munsters: Season 2 with extras. But not all of them. Here are the extras for this set (Disc 1 from the 2-disc Image set) plus a list of season 2 episodes:

Four Amazing Looks at the Munsters:

Lily's Star Boarder
John Doe Munster
The Man for Marilyn
Herman's Driving Test
Will Success Spoil Herman Munster?
Underground Munster
Herman's Lawsuit
A Visit from the Teacher

And here's what you're missing (Disc 2 from the 2-disc Image set):

Hours of Eerie Extras:
"My Fair Munster" plus 3 Different Presentations in Black and White and Color; Unaired Main Title Sequence (Pilot Version); CBS Network Promos; The Munsters in Several Vintage TV Special Appearances: "Seven Wonderful Nights" (CBS Special with Buddy Ebsen); "Wayne & Schuster Take an Affectionate Look at the Monsters"; "Marineland Carnival" (CBS Special); "Big G, Little O"; "It's What's Happening, Baby" (with "Murray the K"); "We Don't Knock" (with Lenny Clarke).

Plus: Universal Newsreels; Syndication TV Spots; Munsters Go Home Theatrical Trailer and TV Spots.

It was cool that Universal negotiated for some extras, but with this being the final Munsters season set, it would've been really great had all of the bonus material from the Image 2-disc set been included on this set.
on November 17, 2005
I don't have to tell you that the Munsters is the greatest sitcom of all time; and you've already heard that this goofy Herman Head case design is about as successful as one of Grampa's magic pills...but here's a warning: it IS true what they say about DVD's from Universal. The first set I got had a pixilation/freezing defect in the middle of "Underground Munster" on the second side of the first disc...DARN! DARN! DARN! Fortunately, the replacement I got from Amazon works fine. Viz, to wit and ergo, it's a good idea to watch all these episodes promptly (it only takes about 14 hours) so you can easily exchange your set if necessary. There really oughtta be a law against double-sided DVD's. Quoth the Raven, 'NEVERMORE!'
on January 12, 2006
Man, how I have loved this show since childhood, and in particular waited for Season 2 because my two favorite episodes - "The Fregosi Emerald" and the one where Herman's musical career is brought to a screeching halt by "Nothin' Muffins" - are my favorites.

The biographies of star Fred Gwynne, Yvonne DeCarlo, and Al Lewis as the main "extras" are very cool, and I am fine with the quality - but am really disappointed over Universal's shoddy release of Season 2, compared with what they did for Season 1.

As others have said, the packaging sucks - it's cheap, flimsy, and hard to take apart and put back together; for that reason alone, I tend to watch the first season set more (it's just easier to get out of the case!). But also, Universal has added this ANNOYING teaser advertising themselves AT THE BEGINNING OF EACH AND EVEY EPISODE. This wasn't part of the original show, and if you watch a bunch of episodes in a row it becomes annoying and a distraction.

But what really hocked me off is that there are no chapters within the episodes! With season one, you could jump to different scenes within a specific episode - not here! If you hit chapter forward on the remote, you'll jump to the next episode! SUCKS!

I am so glad to have the entire series now, but it's a real shame the TV's "First Family of Fright" was short-shifted with this weak season 2 release. Universal, you guys were just LAZY with this one, cheating consumers (especially considering the price of the set), and I almost wish they'd release season 2 again ... this time with some TLC.
on November 24, 2015
Wanted to write this review so that everyone can avoid the confusion that I had. When I received this set of DVDs of Season Two of The Munsters I got a six-disc set that includes 32 episodes, the documentary "First Family of Fright!", three documentaries on the main actors, and a single DVD of the two movies "Munsters, Go Home" and "Munsters Revenge." That sixth DVD of the two movies is also available as a separate purchase. And, it is even listed in the "Frequently Bought Together" section of the page for the Season Two DVD. Since the amazon page does not say that the Season Two package includes these movies, I thought I should buy that extra DVD to complete my collection of The Munsters material.
Lucky for me, amazon gave me a quick refund, so no big deal. I know it's probably hard for them to keep track of this kind of stuff, but we can help by educating each other, right?
on January 20, 2006
I've had two defective copies of this DVD set. I'm a big fan of the show, but I guess I'll have to live without this. I just can't see trying to get though another set of frozen or locked images. The packaging is also poor and doesn't protect the discs at all. A big dissapointment.
on February 8, 2006
Let me start by saying I love this show and I would give it 5 stars, but this disc set is the worst I've purchased so far. I just purchased my 3rd set and again it is defective. I've purchased this from 3 different sources. My only guess is that many people here who have given this a high rating haven't seen every episode on every disc yet. The defects are always on different episodes. On my last set, 'Zombo' would not play at all, and 'Herman the Tire Kicker' freezes and stops half way through.

I've purchased many TV shows on DVD, and yes you do get a defective disc once in a while, but this is ridiculous!

I love the show, and I'm going to try to purchase a 4th set and maybe between both sets I'll be lucky enough to get all the episodes to play! Buyer beware!

PS- I've had no problem with Season 1 of this fine series, and yes I have several DVD players that all work.
on September 9, 2005
The Munsters COLORIZED! You should be ashamed to say it. The black and white works perfectly for the classic spoof on the Universal monsters and should ALWAYS be as they were filmed.

IN BLACK AND WHITE! 2 sitcoms I loved the most as a kid growing up in the sixties were the Beverly Hillbillies and the Munsters.

I saw the change from B/W TV to color. I can live with watching a B/W TV show. I don't need a digital junkie messing with it for color. I can't wait for this second season to arrive. I've watched the 1st season several times on long weekends in order. I LOVE IT! Witty humor, Great slapstick, and very warm hearted. They don't make TV shows like this anymore. Too bad too. Too much vile junk on TV anymore. Thanks to all who bring DVDs like this to the buying public. The world was a better place once upon a time and it had GREAT TV shows like this.