Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on August 4, 2000
This has to be one of the finest vocal album releases of the 1990s. Maureen McGovern is the ideal interpreter of the work of the Bergmans. She handles each song with complete care and sensitivity, finding the inner emotional pulse of each number. The Bergmans' highly individual writing style is characterised by a wonderful feeling of romance and sensuality; they are in the traditionof the great songwriters beginning with Kern, Porter, Rodgers etc through to Stephen Sondheim, Kander and Ebb etc. However, their lyrics have an intimacy that is entirely their own. Listen to the exquisite imagery in "Like a Lover"; or the generous human wisdom in "Little Boy Lost". Their words are matched by some of the most distinguished latter-day composers.
Throughout, McGovern displays complete assurance with eevery mood and sentiment. She is abetted by great arrangements by the incredible Mike Renzi. A masterful tribute to a masterful team.
on October 12, 1998
The artists on this CD prove that the music will never end. Never has then been such a perfect collaboration amongst artists on one of the best songs ever written, The Windmills of Your Mind. There is a perfect marriage of music and lyrics and then Maureen takes it to the cutting edge and turns the song into a classic that it should be. Never have I heard such a haunting and powerful arrangement and performance of music. This song, by itself, deserves an award for best single performance of the year. We mustn't forget the other songs on this CD. I loved Ordinary Miracles the first time that I heard it. It is sure to become a standard for many people. Like a Lover is an excellent change of pace that features Dori Caymmi along with Maureen. Make Me Rainbows is a song that speaks of pure innocence. All in all, this CD is an example of artistry in love. The love that Maureen and everyone associated with the recording have for their audience. You should be aware that Maureen McGovern will donate 50% of her royalties to the Muscular Dystrophy Association. However, the only reason you need to add this CD to your collection is because it is good and will make you feel good.
on October 18, 2001
I guess I should preface this review with a warning. This cd by Maureen Mcgovern is quite possibly my favorite disc in my collection so you may have to excuse me if I become slightly "gushy" with praise. Nevertheless, while I'll attempt to restrain myself, here goes...
As I stated in other reviews it's truly difficult, I feel, to find music with an older listening audience in mind. I'm 45 yrs. old and generally am subjected to the "easy listening" section of my local record store for any music that I may find appealing. A fact I'm no terribly comfortable with but one I've come to acccept. But fortunately for me my local store had put "The Music Never Ends" on it's listening station and that is where I had stumbled upon it. And all I can say is ....Thank goodness!
There's simply not a bad note to found on this disc. Ms. McGovern's singing, while obviously classically trained, is understated and the orchestration, by Ettore Stratta, is subtle and never overpowering plus the song selection is wisely chosen and as a complete disc works extremely well together. Three songs especially stand out, "How Do You Keep The Music Playing", "The Windmills of Your Mind" and the finale " I'll Never Say Goodbye". The last becoming a song that has, since purchasing this disc, become an instant classic! I did want to add one other small stand-out track for me, that being " The Summer Knows " an incredibly nostalgic song that literally brought tears to my eyes upon my initial listen. And actually subsequent listens since then! Overall, while Maureen McGovern does not possess an incredibly unique voice it is to her benefit that she finds material that suits her talents and is musically "wise" enough to know how to perform these wonderful songs. And that, in itself, I find refreshing! Linda Eder...eat your heart out!
It's actually impossible to pick songs at random from this disc since each song is so well conceived and executed. Obviously I cannot get enough of this cd but when music is this well conceived and performed how could I? And of course, kudos go out to Alan and Marilyn Bergman whose lyrics remain intelligent, witty , sophisticated and most important emotionally honest. An incomparable duo!
So do yourself a favor and take a strangers advice. If any one could purchase this cd and not like I've yet to meet them. And I've told everyone about it! So enjoy... and you can thank me later. Every now and than we do get an ordinary miracle.
on July 26, 1999
I have been a fan of Ms. McGovern since I saw her on PBS. My favorite--so far--is "State of the Heart". She not only has a way with a melody, but she has SUCH a way with an antimelody. Her rhythm is exquisite. I understand why most people who buy her cd's also buy Ella--that same strength, that same sureness, that same knowledge of music is apparent. Different, but eeriely the same.
on August 19, 1999
this album is magic. prepare to enjoy wonderful music sung by an incredibly skillful vocalist.
on July 19, 2001
This gifted lady never has to reach for a note. Thank god for the repeat button on my CD. I hit repeat and listen over and over to "I'll Never Say Goodbye". Mike Renzi is a suberb artist and his background for Maureen is classic. The Bergman's write a beautiful message. Try this on; "How can I say Goodbye, When I can barely say Goodnight". I have it playing as I write. I have had the pleasure to see this lady in concert and she commands the stage. What a talent.
on July 21, 1998
I have always loved the songs written by Marilyn and Allen Bergman in collaboration with composers like Marvin Hamlisch and Michel LeGrand. I was so pleased to find this compilation... and done so beautifully by Maureen McGovern.
on May 23, 2015
No one will regret buying CD. I enjoy just about every type of music except rap and heavy metal, and this may be my favorite CD.

The lyrics of Alan and Marilyn Bergman, combined with the music of Michel Legrand, David Grusin, and Marvin Hamlisch, are beautifully sung and arranged. Maureen McGovern is nearly flawless. Besides familiar standards, primarily written with Michel Legrand, this CD acquainted me with some truly great songs that are enjoyable time after time, such as "I Will Never Say Goodbye," "Ordinary Miracles," and the very touching "What Matters Most."

My only disappointment is that this collection of Bergman songs does not include the Michelle Legrand collaboration, "What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life." Nonetheless, this recording is a wonderful group of beautiful songs, and their musical enjoyment will never end.
on January 20, 2014
For years, this was one of my favorite CDs and then I misplaced it. So I was pleased to find it again on Amazon after trying unsuccessfully to find it locally. The lyrics and singer are a perfect blend.
on October 13, 2013
This CD with three additional bonus tracks, terrificly light, precise and emotive interpretations of amazing Bergman lyrics, was issued in Europe by Verscace Sarabande and is available here: The Music Never Ends - The Lyrics of Alan & Marilyn Bergman