5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite
Published on August 4, 2000 by Mr G

2.0 out of 5 stars The Songs Are Old, But They Don't Rate As Classics
Her beautiful, crystal clear tones do not shine through and there is not enough orchestra to back her up, which is disappointing as she is a great talent.
Published 6 months ago by Bonnie M.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite, August 4, 2000
This review is from: The Music Never Ends: The Lyrics of Alan & Marilyn Bergman (Audio CD)
This has to be one of the finest vocal album releases of the 1990s. Maureen McGovern is the ideal interpreter of the work of the Bergmans. She handles each song with complete care and sensitivity, finding the inner emotional pulse of each number. The Bergmans' highly individual writing style is characterised by a wonderful feeling of romance and sensuality; they are in the traditionof the great songwriters beginning with Kern, Porter, Rodgers etc through to Stephen Sondheim, Kander and Ebb etc. However, their lyrics have an intimacy that is entirely their own. Listen to the exquisite imagery in "Like a Lover"; or the generous human wisdom in "Little Boy Lost". Their words are matched by some of the most distinguished latter-day composers.
Throughout, McGovern displays complete assurance with eevery mood and sentiment. She is abetted by great arrangements by the incredible Mike Renzi. A masterful tribute to a masterful team.

4.0 out of 5 stars Maureen's talent never ends., October 12, 1998
By A Customer
The artists on this CD prove that the music will never end. Never has then been such a perfect collaboration amongst artists on one of the best songs ever written, The Windmills of Your Mind. There is a perfect marriage of music and lyrics and then Maureen takes it to the cutting edge and turns the song into a classic that it should be. Never have I heard such a haunting and powerful arrangement and performance of music. This song, by itself, deserves an award for best single performance of the year. We mustn't forget the other songs on this CD. I loved Ordinary Miracles the first time that I heard it. It is sure to become a standard for many people. Like a Lover is an excellent change of pace that features Dori Caymmi along with Maureen. Make Me Rainbows is a song that speaks of pure innocence. All in all, this CD is an example of artistry in love. The love that Maureen and everyone associated with the recording have for their audience. You should be aware that Maureen McGovern will donate 50% of her royalties to the Muscular Dystrophy Association. However, the only reason you need to add this CD to your collection is because it is good and will make you feel good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ordinary Miracles, October 18, 2001
I guess I should preface this review with a warning. This cd by Maureen Mcgovern is quite possibly my favorite disc in my collection so you may have to excuse me if I become slightly "gushy" with praise. Nevertheless, while I'll attempt to restrain myself, here goes...
As I stated in other reviews it's truly difficult, I feel, to find music with an older listening audience in mind. I'm 45 yrs. old and generally am subjected to the "easy listening" section of my local record store for any music that I may find appealing. A fact I'm no terribly comfortable with but one I've come to acccept. But fortunately for me my local store had put "The Music Never Ends" on it's listening station and that is where I had stumbled upon it. And all I can say is ....Thank goodness!
There's simply not a bad note to found on this disc. Ms. McGovern's singing, while obviously classically trained, is understated and the orchestration, by Ettore Stratta, is subtle and never overpowering plus the song selection is wisely chosen and as a complete disc works extremely well together. Three songs especially stand out, "How Do You Keep The Music Playing", "The Windmills of Your Mind" and the finale " I'll Never Say Goodbye". The last becoming a song that has, since purchasing this disc, become an instant classic! I did want to add one other small stand-out track for me, that being " The Summer Knows " an incredibly nostalgic song that literally brought tears to my eyes upon my initial listen. And actually subsequent listens since then! Overall, while Maureen McGovern does not possess an incredibly unique voice it is to her benefit that she finds material that suits her talents and is musically "wise" enough to know how to perform these wonderful songs. And that, in itself, I find refreshing! Linda Eder...eat your heart out!
It's actually impossible to pick songs at random from this disc since each song is so well conceived and executed. Obviously I cannot get enough of this cd but when music is this well conceived and performed how could I? And of course, kudos go out to Alan and Marilyn Bergman whose lyrics remain intelligent, witty , sophisticated and most important emotionally honest. An incomparable duo!
So do yourself a favor and take a strangers advice. If any one could purchase this cd and not like I've yet to meet them. And I've told everyone about it! So enjoy... and you can thank me later. Every now and than we do get an ordinary miracle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ms McGovern is one of the most pure vocalists, July 26, 1999
By A Customer
I have been a fan of Ms. McGovern since I saw her on PBS. My favorite--so far--is "State of the Heart". She not only has a way with a melody, but she has SUCH a way with an antimelody. Her rhythm is exquisite. I understand why most people who buy her cd's also buy Ella--that same strength, that same sureness, that same knowledge of music is apparent. Different, but eeriely the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, August 19, 1999
By A Customer
this album is magic. prepare to enjoy wonderful music sung by an incredibly skillful vocalist.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Unbelievable Talent, July 19, 2001
Robert D.Scott (Centennial Colorado USA) - See all my reviews
This gifted lady never has to reach for a note. Thank god for the repeat button on my CD. I hit repeat and listen over and over to "I'll Never Say Goodbye". Mike Renzi is a suberb artist and his background for Maureen is classic. The Bergman's write a beautiful message. Try this on; "How can I say Goodbye, When I can barely say Goodnight". I have it playing as I write. I have had the pleasure to see this lady in concert and she commands the stage. What a talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great compilation of Allen and Marilyn Bergman songs., July 21, 1998
By A Customer
I have always loved the songs written by Marilyn and Allen Bergman in collaboration with composers like Marvin Hamlisch and Michel LeGrand. I was so pleased to find this compilation... and done so beautifully by Maureen McGovern.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly a favorite, January 20, 2014
For years, this was one of my favorite CDs and then I misplaced it. So I was pleased to find it again on Amazon after trying unsuccessfully to find it locally. The lyrics and singer are a perfect blend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait to buy this cd, June 30, 2001
By A Customer
I love Maureen McGovern and can't wait to hear this album. She has one of the most beautiful voices. I'm anxious to listen to her sing " Where Do You Start?". She sang it recently for a deeply touching scene on "General Hospital" as Luke and Laura signed their divorce papers. She had all of us GH fans in tears as she sang. And "How Do You Keep The Music Playing" ( "The Music Never Ends")..wow...that ought to be powerful also!

5.0 out of 5 stars But also see ..., October 13, 2013
This CD with three additional bonus tracks, terrificly light, precise and emotive interpretations of amazing Bergman lyrics, was issued in Europe by Verscace Sarabande and is available here: The Music Never Ends - The Lyrics of Alan & Marilyn Bergman

Rate and Discover Movies