5.0 out of 5 stars What Goes Ha Ha Ha Ha Plop?
Published on November 6, 2002 by Shaun Hawkins

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Cartoon Collection
Published on July 24, 2006 by D. Rahmel

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Cartoon Collection, July 24, 2006
This review is from: The Naked Cartoonist: A New Way to Enhance Your Creativity (Hardcover)
This book fails at the stated task -- showing a process of generating cartoon and general creative ideas -- but succeeds nonetheless. Although I read the book cover-to-cover, I didn't find it very educational about the process of creating new ideas or even evaluating existing ones. If you define comedy as `I'll know it when I see it,' this book doesn't do much to expand beyond that. There is a brief section near the end where the author describes (with examples) the order of punch lines, but that's about it.

Nonetheless, the book is chock-full of cartoons from the New Yorker that are exceptional in their breadth of humor and subtlety. You may learn only a few things from the text, but you'll get a lot of smiles from the cartoons.

If you want to create cartoons and don't know where to start, I would suggest picking up "The Cartoonist's Workbook: Drawing, Writing Gags, Selling" by Robin Hall. Hall's book is excellent at providing the mechanics of cartooning. Mankoff's book then acts as an excellent companion volume of real world examples that strike the funny bone.

5.0 out of 5 stars What Goes Ha Ha Ha Ha Plop?, November 6, 2002
Me, laughing my head off as I read this book. But this book also filled my head before I laughed it off. I thought it would be a hilarious collection of some of the best New Yorker cartoons, and it is, but it's also a complicated theory of creativity, humor, and art. The author keeps things light, but there are some serious points made as he investigates the links between cartooning, dreaming, surrealism, and so on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Here for the Holidays, December 4, 2002
Dennis Coles (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
As a longtime reader of the New Yorker -- and, more importantly, a longtime reader of its cartoons -- I was happy to see that the cartoon editor of the magazine had written a book. To be honest, I expected more about the inside dealings of the magazine: the idiosyncracies of famous cartoonists, the backstage intrigue that led to my favorite cartoons. That's not exaactly what this book is. It's more a solo performance by Robert Mankoff, who writes at great length about his own internal creative process. This was offputting at first, but by the end of the first chapter, I was hooked. He has an engaging voice and a real talent for illustrating his ideas (as you would expect), so the result is a pretty wonderful guidebook to human creativity and humor.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the book for aspiring cartoonists, May 1, 2014
A great book for people who are interested in Mankoff's thoughts. The book does not deliver what is said on the dust jacket and in the preface. So if your looking for practical pointers in becoming a cartoonist, this i s not the book

5.0 out of 5 stars An Entertaining Ride Through the Creative Process, March 28, 2014
Marshall Vandruff "marshallart.com" (Laguna Niguel, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I have a short list of favorite books on Creativity, (mainly Gabrielle Rico's WRITING THE NATURAL WAY for a practical approach), but this one just got added to my list.
Mankoff's approach embraces the chaos, insanity and surrealism of how ideas germinate, which can get a bit offputting if you have low tolerance for chaos, insanity and surrealism, but the results are often hilarious - I laughed all through it - and it's filled with lessons about how unpredictable the process can be - a fact that creative people embrace.
If you want a sample of his teaching, look up his TED talk ANATOMY OF A NEW YORKER CARTOON. It will give you an idea of what he has to offer.
My only criticism is that it gets a bit silly at times, but if a wild child can keep me laughing while learning, that's at least as good as a careful adult who clarifies thoroughly with bullet points but doesn't dare to goof around.

4.0 out of 5 stars Forget the text. Enjoy the cartoons, June 1, 2003
Bucherwurm "bucherwurm" (California United States) - See all my reviews
Robert Mankoff, the Cartoon Editor of the NY Times has written the book purportedly as a learning guide for prospective cartoonists. Well, I don't want to be a cartoonist, but I do love cartoons, especially those found in the New Yorker. In leafing through the book I began having doubts that the text of the book would provide much help for a fledgling cartoonist. After awhile you simply become oblivious to the written material and hone in on the many delightful cartoons. As the book says there are 400 of them in this volume, and, to me, that justified the purchase price.
This book is certainly as good as any of the other books that form part of the New Yorker cartoon book library, and if you are a devotee of pictorial humor do pick up a copy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Forget the text. Enjoy the cartoons, June 1, 2003
Bucherwurm "bucherwurm" (California United States) - See all my reviews
Robert Mankoff, the Cartoon Editor of the New Yorker has written the book purportedly as a learning guide for prospective cartoonists. Well, I don't want to be a cartoonist, but I do love cartoons, especially those found in the New Yorker. In leafing through the book I began having doubts that the text of the book would provide much help for a fledgling cartoonist. After awhile you simply become oblivious to the written material and hone in on the many delightful cartoons. As the book says there are 400 of them in this volume, and, to me, that justified the purchase price.

2.0 out of 5 stars Read all the reviews before ordering, May 20, 2014
sonja powell (Baltimore, MD, US) - See all my reviews
This was not the book I though it would be. I was very disappointed and would have returned it but the return postage was too high.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book packed with information, June 19, 2013
I wont drone on about this book. Ill lay it out its a nice size book not too big but it is packed with information it could have been stretched into a giant volume but he really puts it all together wall to wall pro tips info and examples. If you are a new cartoonist this book is a must.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cartoon Coach Culls Creativity, February 26, 2013
FLRON "BigRon" (Central Florida, United States) - See all my reviews
I can't believe someone gave Mankoff's marvelous manuscript a lonely one star. Maybe they haven't got a sense of humor. Maybe that person got up on the wrong side of the bed of nails. Who knows? In all due respect, I think that reviewer got the book, but didn't "GET" the book. You really should read it several times to get the gist, the kernel, the Zeitgeist of what he's giving the reader. I found it very entertaining, amusing, and enlightening. In fact, just today, I wrote a hundred gags based on one concept I gleaned from my second reading of The Naked Cartoonist. The first time I read it from cover to cover. Then I decided to read the middle part. Besides that, anytime you can get some clever cartoon creation counseling and exceptional examples from The King of Cartoons (I hope he reads this) one should feel privileged. I gave it four stars only because some of the examples were so small, I ruined my eyes trying to read them (A lawsuit is pending). I would have given it 4.5 stars, but the nice folks at Amazon frown on that. I write a humor blog called Humorous Interludes. It contains a lot of "off the wall" material, including a few cartoons now and then, and a weekly Horror-scope (No plug intended LOL). I use a lot of the concepts Mr. Mankoff recommends. I'd be lost without thinking out of the box, out of the room, out of the building, and out of this world. The book is a good resource to help gag writers and cartoonists in their pursuit of perfection in their art and/or writing. BTW, you can get it for a darn good price these days.Amen!

The Naked Cartoonist: A New Way to Enhance Your Creativity
The Naked Cartoonist: A New Way to Enhance Your Creativity by Robert Mankoff (Hardcover - November 1, 2002)
Used & New from: $0.34