5.0 out of 5 stars Good, But Not Great
This was a pretty good book. I'm a high school senior preparing for my freshman year. Before I talk about what I liked about it, let me outline the problems.

Published on April 11, 2010 by S. Quartey

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Reading
Practical tips in personal relationships. Makes assumptions based on generalizations. Not all students are interested in all "normal" college activities.
Published 17 months ago by R. Thompson

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, But Not Great, April 11, 2010
This review is from: The Naked Roommate: And 107 Other Issues You Might Run Into in College (Paperback)

--Harlan Cohen is the narrator in this book (as well as the narrator, obviously), and there are times when he is very annoying. He does a lot of plugging for his other books/resources and refers to his Facebook page far too often.

--There are a lot of tips in this book that are repetitive. That's not necessarily bad, since the information is useful, but the book could stand to be condensed.

Other than those small problems, I really enjoyed this book. A lot of the information is common sense, but that's the point. Harlan really hammered a few points, like joining extracurricular activities. College is overwhelmingly new, and in that kind of situation, it is easy to forget common sense tactics. I loved the student stories and the tiny student blurbs. They were honest, and so was Harlan. The book took a candid but responsible approach to drug, alcohol, and sex, not to mention laundry, studying, and the Freshman 15.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool Reading for the College Bound & Parents Too!, September 3, 2010
Jeffrey A. Davis (Chicago, Illinois USA) - See all my reviews
I did not want the typical college propaganda book, but wanted to find something for daughter that gave unbiased thoughts that she would READ. I found this immediately. Fortunately, I also found something that would be equally terrific for both my wife and myself for letting our only daughter and child go off to college. Harlan, many thanks for such a tremendous work and I'm happy to say that as I expected, I finished, my wife is halfway completed and I don't know how far my daughter is along, but she's reading and I'm sharing many sayings and words from the book with her regularly.

The books' terrific. Super easy to read and if chapters don't apply to you, easy to skim or pick up on the authors key points that he highlights at the end of each chapter. Thouh 108 Chapters seem like a lot, each is short and written in a easy to read fashion and always starting with a terrific story/example of the contents of the chapter.

The book is written with the college freshman in mind, but very appropriate for the parents of the college freshman too. Frankly, my wife and I compared notes and amazing how many of the examples used in the book happened with each of us. It's the real nature of each story and chapter that makes the book terrific. I even transferred my freshman year for many reasons, but fell in love with college my last 3 years and went to graduate school and loved that too. Harlan, sound like you?

I could go on and on about what's good, but strongly recommend for those students about to go off on the big journey and want something "out of the box" and for parents who want some thoughts on what your college bound child will be facing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Idea for incoming freshmen, January 15, 2011
I purchased this book for my 17-year-old nephew who is headed to a big public university in the fall. He's very excited about going to college, but having been home schooled all his life he's also a little bit apprehensive. He LOVED this book. He told me that he read it all the way through the first day he got it, and it made him laugh, as well as giving him things to think about that he hadn't considered before. What more could one ask for?

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, August 19, 2010
Gold Star Award Winner!

I read this book the summer before I started college and it really helped me get a great insight into college life. Harlan Cohen tackles every question and worry that an incoming freshman could think of, and he gives great advice and lots of resources for more information.

Cohen tackles the tough and combats the easy in his book THE NAKED ROOMMATE. He does this with such a flair that readers feel that they can trust him and his advice. The pages full of his hilarious wit also calm the nerves of the reader, who is probably nervous about college.

This book is highly recommended to anyone either going or already in college. This book is full of ANSWERS! It really helps one feel prepared for the next journey of their life - university!

Reviewed by: Steph

4.0 out of 5 stars HS grad liked it !, July 12, 2010
This was a gift for my sons girlfriends graduation
from high school. She said it was both helpful
and funny ! Brought it with her to orientation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Covers All Bases, Very Good Value, July 24, 2009
I am recently graduated, and I will be starting classes at college in 4 very short weeks. Like most high school grads, I am very a gamut of emotions of what this new chapter of my life will bring: happiness, sadness, anxiety, apprehension, and excitement. This book covers all of that and more. I especially liked all the testimonials from current college students and their real life experiences. Nothing was sugarcoated in the book, and while that was tough to swallow, it is just the beginning of what is to come in the future. I recommend this book to all new college students!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute best of its kind for the beginning college student, August 11, 2009
Practical, humorous, offering LOTS of solid advice that is fun to read, this book is the best of three highly-recommended guides we recently purchased. The author covers every topic you have questions about, plus many other topics you may not have even considered. The book is informative in a down-to-earth way, and you will be entertained while being enlightened. Besides his own views, Mr. Cohen provides anecdotes from current and/or recent college students. Every prospective college freshman should read this book before setting foot on campus in the fall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Introduction, August 18, 2009
S. Schnorr (Long Island NY) - See all my reviews
Overall this book was a wonderful introduction to my college search and overall prperation for college. It brought up many of the issues I had worried about such as roommates, and housing and others I had not even thought about like religion and the large impact it can have on your college experience. Of course this is not meant to be a substitute for the actual experience of college however i think it is a great way to really and accurately prepare for what is supposed to be a great time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, August 31, 2009
K. O'R (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
This book has helped me prepare for my upcoming freshman year at college. Some of the topics I have been more versed in, but finally had some questions that I always wondered about (college classroom etiquette for example). As a new student I would (and have) recommend this book to other students, parents, and staff who want an honest and current look at what college is like today. Plus, the author is friendly and not preachy at all which makes it easy to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars perfeet gift for HS seniors, January 30, 2011
A. Kelly (new york, ny United States) - See all my reviews
I gave this to my 17 year old cousin for xmas and he loved it. It had a lot of great and many funny tips.

The Naked Roommate: And 107 Other Issues You Might Run Into in College