Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on August 1, 2011
The summer before my senior year of high school my mom and I were bumbling through a bookstore when she saw this--and couldn't help herself. Completely as a joke, she bought it. We had a good laugh before I shelved it on the bookcase in my room and never thought twice. One night, however, shortly after submitting my application to my first choice college, I decided to pick it up and just started reading. I can honestly say, this is by far the best college advice guide I've read--and I've read plenty. Harlan combines the funny with the serious incredibly well while still painting a picture of college life. He walks that perfect line between having real college student voices while still having his own knowledgeable voice there to comment. His humor is dry, but had me in stitches. He is incredibly down to earth, and I really liked that he doesn't take anything too seriously, except what truly needs to be. Perhaps best of all, his tips are actually relevant and useful without being completely remedial. I will definitely be using several of his tips this fall that I never would have thought of on my own.
on March 5, 2005
Harlan Cohen is an advice columnist and speaker for college campuses. The Naked Roommate is one of the best and most practical college advice guide's I've read. The tips are based on questions actual students have asked, actual students have provided real-world advice on, and Cohen has added his professional perspective on as well.

Cohen and Sourcebooks are launching an on-line companion site, [...] that I look forward to visiting.

The first, very crucial tip (and a staple in Cohen's campus addresses) is: "Relax. Have fun. Enjoy it all. Your job is simple: be your best, meet lots of people, make new friends, make smart decisions, possibly find a career, possibly find love, and take risk after risk after risk so that you can figure out what you love and what you don't love. If you do this, you'll leave college with more than a degree. You'll leave knowing what it takes for you to be happy."
on May 14, 2011
Recieved for my son's highschool graduation. Very practical, useful, funny and hits about anything you can think of.... BEFORE it happens to you! :) Really clever. We've purchsed several now for others going on the college venture!
on March 13, 2006
I used this book in RA Trianing after learning about it at the ACUHO-I 2005 conference and meeting Harlan in person. The staff loved the book, and it has a lot of great examples and speaks well regarding University resources for students to seek out and utilize. The book was so well-liked, that I bought a copy for each of the RA Staff members for International RA Recognition Day in February 2006!
on June 30, 2006
It would have been less stressful. The book is very well written. Easy to read and follow. It flows well from topic to topic. It's engaging and truthful without being patronizing to the reader. Gives great tips on how to handle, approach and deal with most everything one can and will encounter during their years in college. It's also very real, because Harlan Cohen has students themselves sharing their experiences. A must read for every student headed for college.
on May 5, 2006
This book is extremely well written and it is clear the author (Harlan Cohen) has experience in this field and has done the appropriate research to be and expert.

That being said this book does contribute itself to the pile of books before it that are categorized as "college guides". "Be careful using a credit card", "you're on your own now that you're at college", "beware long distance relationships", etc. This are some pretty cliche terms typical in any "college guide-book". Albeit students need guidence when going to college they are better off reading a book like The Power of Focus for College Students which is a book with much more valuable content for the student reader.

If you want a good college guide book this is it. If you want more, then this isn't it.
on August 8, 2005
I was a teacher for four years and was always on the lookout for a book to give to my graduating students (the ones I liked at least) that wasn't sappy or over-the-top inspirational. Sadly, I never found one that fit the bill. That's why I wish this book had been written back then. Now that I'm no longer teaching, I have found The Naked Roommate, a book that is practical, funny, and encouraging without being cheezy. I definitely recommend this for people going off to college and people looking for a gift to give someone going off to college.
on March 8, 2005
Having two kids in college and one getting ready to go away to school next fall, I've read all these types of books. This one is by far the best of the best. I loved the stories from real students and Harlan has a great sensibility and sense of humor. I couldn't have said it better. This is sure to become the book on college life and teenage life. For other parents, like me, who read Charlotte Simmons, The Naked Roommate is the real story. Read this one. It's non-fiction and it will help you sleep at night.
on July 10, 2006
I should start off by saying that I've bought The Naked Roommate for my son, my son's friends, my nephews, my nieces, and for my friends' children and a few friends (they were having a tough time dealing with the college transition). Every single person who has picked it up has raved about it. The book captures the essense of college life in a way that is rarely seen and heard. I just heard through my nephew that it's being used as required reading on his friend's colleges. I was familiar with the author from his advice column, and appreciate his style of writing. I'm also a fan website(thenakedroommate.com) an online forum for the book. I found the title after I came across a rave review by the New England Board of Higher Education (I'm a teacher). That was last year, and this year I saw it everywhere! But I saw it first! Anyone who has something disparaging to say about this book, clearly has not read the book or has some other motive. In conclusion, this book is smart, funny, witty, extremely well researched, on the the best book out there for students, parents, educators, and anyone who wants to know about college life. I can't wait for his next. I'm sold.
on January 16, 2012
I gave this to a high school senior for Christmas. She immediately dove into it and shortly began commenting that she had never thought about certain things mentioned in the book - many of them security related. She loved it and so did her parents. A great book at a great price. Highly recommend.